Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

Figure its about time I start working on my 87 GL wagon recently purchased off of this site from another member. Got her shipped down to CA from WA.

To do list:

-lift around 4''

-go through motor/make reliable

-bumpers

-roof rack

-EJ 25 swap (after dealing with CA smog crap)

-show the Jeeps how its done!!

Heres what I'm dealing with

09-02-09_1924.jpg

$15 dollars later I scored 4 Toyota 6-lug wheels with 28" BFG's

and of course had to put them on with no lift. Cut the front fenders a little and moved the front end forward 1.5". When I get to the lift I will fix camber, not sure whats up with it right now as its all stock.

PICT0620.jpg

PICT0621.jpg

PICT0622.jpg

More to come!

yoo hoo another so cal old schooler.

Welcome.

If you need help with the EJ25 swap and getting it past the smog nazis let me know, I have two EJ swaps that are smog legal.:banana:

You are also kinda near PK. I am sure we can arrange a get together sometime and hit the trails. Anza-Borrego would be really fun to romp around. Ever been to Font's Point. I was also kicking around the idea of doing a trek down the Mojave Trail.

BW

Welcome.

If you need help with the EJ25 swap and getting it past the smog nazis let me know' date=' I have two EJ swaps that are smog legal.:banana:

You are also kinda near PK. I am sure we can arrange a get together sometime and hit the trails. Anza-Borrego would be really fun to romp around. Ever been to Font's Point. I was also kicking around the idea of doing a trek down the Mojave Trail.

BW[/quote']

Thanks. At least I'm not the only one now. I will be hitting up as many trails as possible when she is up and running. I was invited to a Mojave Trail run with my WRX but the car was apart at the time (as always).

It looks like I'm getting a EJ25, harness and ECU but was told since the car came from out of state to get the EA up and running for inspection and smog. Then I should be able to swap to the EJ with no other smog issues. I will probably get ahold of you and pick your brain. Thanks for the PM!!!

• 3 weeks later...
followed your work on the wrx wagon.. excellent stuff!

is the EA82 going to turn out similar as far as build?

Thank you.

The theme for the EA82 is "beg, borrow or steal" I'm just gonna build a functional daily driver, wheeler. So far aside from the purchase and transport out Ca I've only spent $15.00 on this. What I got for the $15 is 4 BFG at's (little bit of tread left) and 4 Toyota 4-Runner 15'' wheels. I also got a Subaru Nardi steering wheel for free, 3 Hella 500 lights for free and the front seats out of a 2007 WRX for free. I did some trade work for the re-surfacing of the heads and some gaskets. Its almost time to spend some money though. It needs a water pump, power steering pump, hoses, hose clamps, belts.....etc.

Edit: also hoping to find some scrap soon (like today) for the lift. If not I will use some material I have in the shop.

The WRX is back under the knife also :banana: Low, wide, 30'' tires and double the wheel travel.

Welcome.

If you need help with the EJ25 swap and getting it past the smog nazis let me know' date=' I have two EJ swaps that are smog legal.:banana:

BW[/quote']

My truck would never pass. only headers, 2.5" pipe and glasspacks on it. although she gets great mpg since that OEM removal job.

Thank you.

The theme for the EA82 is "beg, borrow or steal" I'm just gonna build a functional daily driver, wheeler. So far aside from the purchase and transport out Ca I've only spent $15.00 on this. What I got for the $15 is 4 BFG at's (little bit of tread left) and 4 Toyota 4-Runner 15'' wheels. I also got a Subaru Nardi steering wheel for free, 3 Hella 500 lights for free and the front seats out of a 2007 WRX for free. I did some trade work for the re-surfacing of the heads and some gaskets. Its almost time to spend some money though. It needs a water pump, power steering pump, hoses, hose clamps, belts.....etc.

Edit: also hoping to find some scrap soon (like today) for the lift. If not I will use some material I have in the shop.

The WRX is back under the knife also :banana: Low, wide, 30'' tires and double the wheel travel.

are you going to have a thread over here for the battle wagon? I seem to be spending less time over on NASTYSOCK, and I would like to see what's happening with it. It was my big inspiration for doing my wagon.

are you going to have a thread over here for the battle wagon? I seem to be spending less time over on NASTYSOCK, and I would like to see what's happening with it. It was my big inspiration for doing my wagon.

Probably once I start moving forward with it. Right now I'm just having some components machined and I've torn it into a bajillion pieces. I'm going to really take my time with the WRX round 2.

Well my 2 full days of work turned into only working 1 full day on the car. I did get the greasy mess cleaned up. I had to remove everything off the front of the car except the wiring harness to clean up the mess.

Finally I was able to start working on the lift. I decided on 5'' up front and 4'' out back. What I should have done :lol: is 4'' spacing all around and 5'' on the front struts....oh well. So to achieve my 5'' I made the front engine crossmember spacers out of 1/4 plate and pieced it all together. Then I got smart for the radius rods/trans mount and cut down 6'' rectangle to 4 3/4 and add 1/4 plate to the bottom to get 5''. The rest will be 4'', which I have everything cut. Now all thats left is to drill the 4'' blocks and install. I still have to extend the steering linkage, and sort out the shift linkages. Shouldn't be a problem, just out of time now. Hopefull I will get a few hours on it this week.

Pics to come.