Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Makes me want to re-consider my aversion to buying a car in its first model year. Actually, has a diesel engine option. What's not to like?

http://www.motorauthority.com/pictures/1074413_2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-set-for-new-york-auto-show-reveal_gallery-1#100386148

http://wot.motortrend.com/welcome-to-america-2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-makes-stateside-debut-in-new-york-182483.html

Edited by edrach

Makes me want to re-consider my aversion to buying a car in its first model year. Actually, has a diesel engine option. What's not to like?

from my reading, the diesel option is only available in Europe - yet again....

In Europe, the XV will be offered with three engines and three transmissions. At the bottom rung is a 114-hp 1.6-liter gasoline engine paired to either the CVT or a five-speed manual. At the top is a 2.0-liter turbodiesel which produces 147 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque and is paired only with a six-speed manual transmission. Smack in the middle is the only engine shared with the U.S. -- the same 148-hp 2.0-liter gasoline mill with 145 lb-ft of torque that powers the new Impreza.

Finally, a replacement for the Loyale. It is basically an Impreza with a 2" lift kit from the factory. It probably doesn't have as much room inside as the Loyale, though. I don't think it is long enough to sleep in the back.

I want to wait a year or two before getting too enthused about it. Let's see if this one ghostwalks, like the Outbacks of infamous memory. And I would like to see what the vision out if it is like. (Many cars these days are criminally hard to see out of. Good thing those fat pillars have airbags in them, 'cause you're going to need them when you hit something hiding behind them!) I would like to see some real-life fuel consumption numbers too.

If it is essentially a new Impreza, any word on how hard they are to work on, yet? Any horror stories on plugs, air filters, wheel bearings, etc?

• 3 weeks later...

Found out more about it. The Canadian version (maybe US too?) will have 17" wheels, with extra large brakes. All of a sudden this is starting to sound very expensive...17" snow tires and wheels will probably be required, no getting by with cheaper, narrower but taller (and more effective in the snow) snowies on smaller steel wheels from an older model.

Remember when Subarus were inexpensive, and built to stay that way?

Found out more about it. The Canadian version (maybe US too?) will have 17" wheels, with extra large brakes. All of a sudden this is starting to sound very expensive...17" snow tires and wheels will probably be required, no getting by with cheaper, narrower but taller (and more effective in the snow) snowies on smaller steel wheels from an older model.

Remember when Subarus were inexpensive, and built to stay that way?

Doubtful that 17" rims will be required unless they're sticking Brembos on it. Even if so, CRV 17" steelies clear just fine.

I think the inexpensive argument went out the window when Legacies started to cost $30k

I have seen it in person. It is the same size as Blu (97 outback) a little more lift. Has more leg room with the loss of some wagon area. This is fine with me as when I travle it is only me and the other half so the rear seat folded is fine. It is different then the imp in ways you wouldnt see to make the extra height.

I would buy it in a heart beat if anything happened to Blu, even with the smaller engine.

I dont think this one would tank. Its a crossover style vehicle and thats the seller now. Everyone wants a crossover. Thats why nissan has 4 of them each with a different engine. I bet with that clearance that will be fun in the dirt. So the real question boxer diesel or inline diesel? :D

We Have very Few Subaru Diesels here, in Latin America.

I Saw once one of those Brand New in its Crate, For Sale:

subaru-ee20-diesel-engine.jpg

Kind Regards.

Except without all the multiplexed computer controls it is basically a boat anchor.

I like the car. If I were buying a new car, this is one I would look at if I couldn't afford a WRX. Still, I'm not too fond of the grille styling Subaru uses these days...and I wish they would have kept it named an Outback Sport. With the MPG these things are supposed to get, and the good reviews on the ride/handling of the new Impreza, I think this car should sell really well for Subaru. I'm hoping to buy one used in 5 years...lol.

Diesel? What diesel?

Sorry, folks, all we are getting in North America is the gas version. May be we could gray-market one from Central America....

I sure wouldn't want to have to pull the timing cover off that diesel.

Except without all the multiplexed computer controls it is basically a boat anchor.

Yes!

I Had the Same Idea and I Posted that on the "Strange & Weird Subaru Stuff" Thread ...

I Like that Diesel idea... but that engine will not Work without its electronic control System... isn't it?

... and the Answer was:

There's already a company that's made some aftermarket diesel computer (like megasquirt for diesel) run the subaru diesel.

It would probably have a hard time passing emissions, though.

US emissions regulations regarding diesels are stupid.

So, Diesel Boxer Engine Swap, anyone?

...anyone need a diesle engine for a 'project'?

boxeer_ee20_engine_vanagon_front.jpg

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Well some details.

Obtaining the engine is not the issue. You can buy any engine from any car and ship it to the US, it is what you do with it after that that can be an issue.

CA- never gonna happen. Emissions generally shouldnt be a stumbling block only if you can get everything else to work.

Megasquirt is not set up for a CANBUS system. You have to use the sensors on the engine as they njot only talk to a computer but to each other. Megasquirt will be mega mega bucks to pull that off anywhere in the hear future. CANBUS also integrates the body computer, so I am not sure of that interface/link yet and how they react to eachother.

Torque - Another HUGE issue. Unlike other vehicals where with a big enough wallet and machine shop you can pretty much match any engine to any transmission. Subarus are very limited as to what you can put in there and still keep it a subaru. The clutch is the weak point in the link as for all the torque it looks like subaru has it geared too high in 1st hence it chews up clutches.

But have the bucks ($$$) and the time, anything can be done. Knowledge would help too, but more $$$$ goes with less knowledge (pay someone else for thiers)>

Yep, 350 nm of torque. Looks like an STI drivetrain will be needed. Clutch, trannie, differentials, etc. Maybe $6k?

Getting close to being not worth it. If it could be done for 50% of the cost of an XV, it would be worth trying.