Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intercooler hunt, what are the options?

So I’ve had the RX about 4 days now so of course I’m already thinking about mods :brow: , exhaust, intake, boost and intercooler are all on the list (after new rings and bearing, its got 250,000 miles on it now). I think the optimum configuration for the IC would be top left horizontal inlet and center vertical outlet (see pic), so you could use a direct or straight tube coupling to the spider TB and a sweeping tube from the turbo. I’d like to use aluminum piping from the turbo to the TB just to shed a bit more heat. I’m sure I could get a IC made with this setup but that’s big $$$, so I’m wonder if anybody has seen one like this from another car and what ICs have been used (I know the WRX, but the twin inlet seems unnecessarily complicated)? Anybody have a IC custom made, what would it cost?

Thanks

Gary

post-367-136027591884_thumb.jpg

I recommend the WRX IC. The stock intercooler comes with a y-pipe that divides one source from the turbo to the 2 inlets on the IC. Its actually quite simple to install. In Corky Bell's "The Complete Guide to Turbocharging" he states the better styles of IC's and why they work better. Simply put, with 2 inlets, it spreads out the air more, so it goes through the intercooler core more effeciently. The air gets cooled better.

Also, the WRX IC has a mount on it for a BOV/BPV (blow off valve/bypass valve) and a huge selection of aftermarket BOV/BPV's you can choose from to get the performance, sound, and look you want.

It is necassary in these cars, if you are upping the boost, to atleast put in a BOV/BPV. They stop the boosted air from bouncing off the Throttle plate and back against the turbine of the turbo. This can potentially cause damage.

Why don't we have one of these stock you ask? In a way, we do. Its called a Dash Pot. The dash pot slows the very end of the closing of the throttle plate... so that the boosted air has a release into the manifold instead of crashing back against the turbine. It is possible to run high enough boost that the dash pot isn't enough.

Feel free to bombard me with questions, I really enjoy talking about this stuff. Also, you can check out my website, in the gallery, and see some pictures of my past wrx IC install, and my current wrx IC install.

Also, i've perfected a cold air intake, can be made for less than $20, filter not included. Ask Danbob99, we put one on his car this weekend.

I’ve done a lot of searching recently and have read a lot of what’s been done, lots of good info.

Subarutex, though I neglected to mention it, I had considered the BOV/BPV required with higher boost. And had read something about the dashpot in another post.

Where can I get the Corky Bell turbo book?

And I may take you up on the bombarding, first, what’s the stock WRX BOV pressure? Adjustable? And does it have a fitting to use it as a BPV? What should I expect to pay for a WRX IC with inlet pipe and BOV? And yes, pics on the cold air intake, is it the same as your latest set up on your RX?

I’ve got a lot more questions about scoops/air ducting, spider intakes, compression ratios, and exhaust tube sizes (primary and turbo back), just to get started. But one thing at a time. :)

Gary

Where can I get the Corky Bell turbo book?

I got my over the net from barnes and noble... had a gift card to use up. I'm sure you could also get it from amazon aswell.

And I may take you up on the bombarding, first, what’s the stock WRX BOV pressure? Adjustable? And does it have a fitting to use it as a BPV? What should I expect to pay for a WRX IC with inlet pipe and BOV?

The stock wrx bov is really a bpv. It coms with a bolt on elbow fitting to attach a recirculating hose to. It is not adjustable in its pressure. I've been told it doesn't hold much above 20psi. It atleast will hold 15psi or what a stock wrx runs. I got my WRX IC w/ the bpv for $150. My setup didn't come with the elbow fitting on the bpv though, so I've always ran it venting to atmosphere. Typically the full setup you should be able to get for $150 shipped to your door. I've been talking to a guy off of NASIOC that wants $175+ shipping for his...personally i think thats a little high. Be careful what you buy! Some people will neglect to include the y-pipe, the elbows on the bottom of the IC, the BOV, or the elbow fitting for the BOV.

pics on the cold air intake, is it the same as your latest set up on your RX?

I will need to get Danbob99 back over to my house to take pics of his intake. Because we are running different turbo's the intakes are slightly different. Earlier this week I recieved a rubber elbow I ordered off of overboost.com to replace the dryer hose it was first plumbed up with.

When you get my book, bring it over and I'll sign it for you. By the way, are you using a stock EA82 turbo?? It has a diaphram assisted waste gate doesn't it?? If your waste gate is set at 15 psi, would it do any good to have a bov set at 20 psi??? Intercooling is a great idea if you are planning to race the car, but for a day to day driver it really isn't going to show you much (unless you race to and from work like Tex :lol: ).

This is something that has puzzled me as well. I'm planning on installing a WRX TMIC. However, I can hear a blow off valve currently in the vehicle. However upon initial inspection, I can't seem to find it. Wouldn't one need to disable the stock BOV/Re-Circ. Valve in order to make use of the WRX TMIC?

88: I believe what you are hearing is the wastegate dumping... was very noticable on my stockish RX.

Corky: when you say what pressure a BOV is set at, you are talking about the maximum pressure it is designed to hold. The BOV is operated by the vaccuum line attached to it. It is merely a point of release for the pressure between the turbo outlet, and the throttle plate.

In theory, you want the BOV to be able to hold up to 2-3psi above your maximum boost (boost creep included) but you also want it to bleed off at higher pressures (above the maximum boost). A safety valve as it were...

Actually Tex, you want the BOV to dump the pressurized air upstream of the intake side of the turbo to keep it spooling. I see all these guys venting to the air, I guess because they like the sound, but that is a waste of energy that can be redirected to the turbo to all but eliminate lag.