Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Slip-on off-roading?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fishboy

fishboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Australia

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:05 AM

A random question....apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum section:

Suppose I had a two-wheel drive car fitted with ordinary road tyres. Then on the very odd occasion I wanted to take this car off road and needed some decent grip. Rather than drive around with off-road tyres all the time that would be seldom used, is there any kind of product out there that could provide temporary traction in slippery/muddy conditions?

I'm thinking something kind of like snow chains, but more suited to dirt/mud/gravel. Perhaps a kind of knobbly rubber skin that could be temporarily pulled over a tyre? Is there anything like that out there?

The only other option I can think of would be to carry a spare pair of wheels in the boot already fitted with off-road tyres, but I'm trying to keep the weight down.

Ideas?

#2 CoupedUpSubie

CoupedUpSubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Woolwich

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

Only thing that will hold up to the stresses of offroading is going to be an actual tire. That being said, anything that you put on your tires to aid in traction is subject to breaking. If you plan on going off the road then I would suggest a tire that has good reviews for both on the road and off. They are out there just not sure what the choices are for you in Australia.

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,575 posts
  • Texas

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

although designed for snow/ice, something like these could help in an emergency if you're slow and careful;

there are other brands of similar devices, maybe one made for dirt/mud? (they show this one off-road; )

and nothing would be lighter to carry than rope(make sure it will clear the caliper and dont' destroy your stems);

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 21 September 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#4 djellum

djellum

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • Vancouver WA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

you can get a good compressor to keep with you and just air them way down when you go off the pavement. then inflate again after you come back. find a tire that will run well on low psi and you should be able to greatly increase the traction by lowering the psi.

I bought one for my brother for his birthday that you could set the psi you wanted and it would air down or inflate to it.

added benefit of trail repair of flats

#5 fishboy

fishboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Australia

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Okay cool. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Might go down the track of some good on-road/off-road tyres and an air compressor.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,542 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

I would just drop air pressure, and then be prepared to get yourself out if you get stuck.Also i would Since you are 2wd I would actually reconsider the spare set of tires depending upon what kind of wheelin we are talking about

#7 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • North ID

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

In nasty mud the best way to improve the grip of a road tire is chains.

A FWD subaru + chains + flogging could get you places :D

#8 spazomatic

spazomatic

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • castle rock

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Ive offroaded with tire chains in dry weather before. They're noisy and will rattle your teeth out if you go too fast, but they sure work well. I dont leave home without them. You never know when you'll need to get over an obstacle that your AT tires just cant handle

#9 tron

tron

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Northern California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

:clap:
http://t2.gstatic.co...Kyeo-fcKHSIYBBA

#10 AKghandi

AKghandi

87 GL-10 2" lift 27" tires, 86 GL 2" lift 29"

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:10 AM

You could get 2 atv tires on stock 13"s and just switch the front wheels when you need to go offroading. Its a little more work but not too bad..

#11 fishboy

fishboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Australia

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

Great suggestions guys. Cheers!

#12 cider3200

cider3200

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • tigard

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

for a brat with no lift what atv tire would you suggest for some thicker mud on the 13'' rims

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users