Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ea82 cam tower oil seal question.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,822 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

They must have squished quite a bit.  Eventually they will split and break off and get sucked into the oil supply to the Cams.

I would get them outta there before it wrecks your cam towers.

#27 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Per your PM, I pulled a couple seals from my stash-o-parts.

For those who may need to find the part number for these specials seals, the Subaru Part Number and Description are:

13089AA010        "O Ring - CMS Case"

Thanks! Exactly the information for which I came looking!

Ditto that! local dealer had no clue what I was on about

#28 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

Crazyeights

• Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Pacific Northwest

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Per your PM, I pulled a couple seals from my stash-o-parts.

For those who may need to find the part number for these specials seals, the Subaru Part Number and Description are:

13089AA010        "O Ring - CMS Case"

Thank you for this. I just ordered 4 of them myself.

#29 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

They must have squished quite a bit.  Eventually they will split and break off and get sucked into the oil supply to the Cams.

I agree. I've been driving it with my fingers crossed for way too long.

#30 old sub freak

old sub freak

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • mt vernon,washington

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

And still is haha..i too just ordered 4 of them.The ebay gasket set had no cam tower seals and the ones for the head gasket were thin o rings.The gasket does have copper inserts around the oil channel...

#31 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 2,208 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

The oil passage seals in the headgaskets are copper, built in. The aftermarket gasket sets usually give you 2 plain thin (metric) o rings for the cam tower seals.

#32 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:42 AM

Update:

It's been over three years since I sold this subaru but now the passenger-side head gasket has failed. Upon examination

I see that combustion gases have been getting into a single coolant passage directly adjacent to a slight dent in the HG's compression ring. The air bubbles coming up out of the radiator while at idle were an obvious indicator of head gasket failure.

The fuel injector seals I'd mistakenly used as cam tower "O" rings are indeed toast. Gloyale's description of what would happen to them was perfect. The cam lobes and cam bearings appear good though. Does anyone know who sell's 220 grit wet or dry sandpaper that come's in square yard's?

Edited by darsdoug, 18 September 2016 - 01:41 PM.

#33 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 2,208 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

I haven't seen anything like that. Just the roughly 12 inch square sheets at auto parts stores. Those are what I have used glued to glass.

#34 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular Nut

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

just use spray contact cement and 2 sheets of the wet/dry ... glue to flat glass or granite slab.   Make sure the surface is flat.

#35 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

I noticed when I pulled the heads that the head bolts cracked loose fairly easy. Did the HG's shrink over the years? or did I screw up by not giving them a re-torque?

#36 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

You were right. Here it is after three years. That's what can happen when you use a fuel injector seal instead of the proper cam tower O ring.

Attached Files

• Attached File  002.JPG   51.24K   6 downloads

Edited by darsdoug, 19 September 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#37 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:13 PM

Attached File  002.JPG   142.37K   4 downloadsAlright got the new HG's in today. Milled the heads with 220 on glass and WD-40. Cleaned the threads and bolt heads and lightly oiled them before the torque sequence. I went 20-40-60 ft. lbs.  Yes I got the cheap aftermarket HG's on Ebay and I really don't feel like dealing with a re-torque.  Should be interesting to see how it holds up? No silicone copper spray this time around.

#38 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

22 Years of Ownership. 94-16

• Members
  • 1,359 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

You were right. Here it is after three years. That's what can happen when you use a fuel injector seal instead of the proper cam tower O ring.

You know I have always wondered about that. Glad someone finally did the experiment. :P

#39 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Seattle

Posted Yesterday, 10:44 PM

Got it all buttoned up and tried to start it but didn't have any luck. I then gave it a shot of starting fluid and cranked it over. oops! Big mistake! The engine backfired and set the air filter element on fire! I didn't even realize it until I saw smoke coming from the air filter housing. During a controlled panic I managed to unclip the housing and yank out the smoldering filter element. I put my tools away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users