Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 subaru loyal problem "bogging" out plz help

Hello I am new here I just bought a 93 loyal fwd 1.8l 5 speed and it is my first Subaru. It has a bogging out issue when speeding up it idles fine but if you push the gas pedal down more than about an inch it bogs out, it does it in all gears. I am clueless it runs fine just got to accelerate slowly, anyone know why??? anything helps thanks.  

okay, I did not think it would be fuel unless its getting to much. It runs great it idles smooth and I can drive it but got to take off slow if I push the pedal to hard it just bogs down really bad or if you rev it, but I can rev it up if I just push lightly. it looks to have a new fuel filter in it and the pump don't seem to be making much noise, Someone had suggested the throttle positing sensor would that cause this??  

I had a similar problem.

We found several issues:

1) wrong fuel filter.  No kidding

The correct fuel filter is very large and sits in a bracket that is mounted near the driver's side strut tower

2) TPS "issues" (of which there were several)

First it was not mounted securely and was off placement

Then a mechanic I had working on it properly "calibrated" it - a procedure I am not familiar with

hi,

if the car has been sitting for a while , old gas is notorious for this condition, putting a couple hundred miles with new gas is the cure for that.  second check the ignition timing,  you must have the diagnostic connectors connected  !  and  set it with a timing light,  then disconnect them for daily driving after the adjustment,,, they might be connected now , if so , that could be your problem since that will cause the timing to not have advance.  next check the coolent sensor and the connectors to it, they usually have the green corrosion and this is the temp sensor that controls the FI system.   if these few things don't get you going then maybe 1 or both your timing belts have jumped a notch , easy to check , remove the outer end covers from the belts and line up the 3 timing belt marks on the flywheel with the bell housing pointer and see if the cam pully marks are exactly , 1 straight up and the other straight down,, if so the belts are right.   the throttle position sensor may cause problems but if it's not been messed with don't do that till after these other checks first.

Never rule out the simple or obvious.

I remember I had a '94 Legacy.

Had the same symptoms as you're describing. (Freaked me out by the way)

Turned out - It had a bad plug wire.

Electricity was arching up the side of the boot.

Replaced 'em and there-yeh-had-it.

Start with what's easiest to access/diagnose.

Work your way up that chain.

Your check engine light isn't ON? (Not that it matters nearly as much with Soobs)

If it is ON, AutoZone will run the codes for free. Sweet huh?

Most likely fuel issues, dirty injectors/lines /filters ect. Had very simmilar symptoms w/ my 93 loyale. swapped all the plugs/wires, ect.  even tried swapping fuel filters/checked and re-checked all the vacuum lines.  Nothing fixed it.    Eventually it got better,  whatever was clogging up the lines must have worked its way through.       

the light wasent a big deal just dident see it at first. Doesn't seem to be anything related to air intake, the filters like brand new and all the plumbing seems to be fine the connection is clean. I'm thinking I'm gonna change the rest of my plug wires next two are new the rest are original. Also does any one know how to cut the power to the electric seat belts they don't work as someone has messed with the ignition but the passenger one still has power and it makes a weird noise and I can't find a fuse for it. I just want to cut power to it till I get a new ignition installed.

the light wasent a big deal just dident see it at first. Doesn't seem to be anything related to air intake, the filters like brand new and all the plumbing seems to be fine the connection is clean. I'm thinking I'm gonna change the rest of my plug wires next two are new the rest are original. Also does any one know how to cut the power to the electric seat belts they don't work as someone has messed with the ignition but the passenger one still has power and it makes a weird noise and I can't find a fuse for it. I just want to cut power to it till I get a new ignition installed.

hi,  pretty sure the drive /motor end of the auto belt track is at the base of the door pillar, between the front and rear doors  you can just unplug it there from the body harness.. otherwise pulling fuses  might get it but probably would turn off other stuff since the belts are not on a circuit all alone.  there is a plug at the top front end of the tracks also under the pillar trim but i think they are for position sensors ,,  the main drive motor is at the base.