Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Overheating engine?

My 1982 brat engine over heats easily. Especially during hot afternoon, so I have to turn on the Freaking HEATER!!! at freaking 80+ degrees...:banghead: If you know what I'm talking about... it's like a freaking inferno...sooo hot so I have to pop open the "Halo Twin Roof" :brow: and open all the windows, and it's still hot..

Does anyone know how to fix this problem so I can turn on the AC :cool: instead of Freaking heater during upcoming summer

Thanks

Dan

I would start with a good coolant flush.. its an old car.. its very possible that theres crap built up in the coolant passages. also, check the belt that runs the water pump.. make sure its tight. maybe test/replace your radiator cap.. possibly even you whole radiator.. these old radiators are not known for there awesome cooling abilities.

Dan:

If it were mine, I would give the enire cooling system an "overhaul". I'm assuming its been 3 years or longer since this has been done.

Sounds like your heater still works. That's a good thing. I would do a back flush flush thru the core with a super flush to clean it out before doing anything else on the cooling system. Take it easy on the water pressure - else you might burst the core.

At the very least, you should do the ALL hoses and clamps, t-stat, and rad cap. Flush tees's are a good idea too if you dont already have them. You should also consider removing the rad and have a radiator shop check it's condition. If it is suspect, replace it if at all possible. The H20 pump may also warrant replacement if it's 10 years or older. Refill with new 50-50 antifreeze, of course.

If you get this far and still have issues, I would start looking at cooling electrical. But you want to get the basics out of the way first.

Remember, your cooling system is only as good as it's weakest link...

good luck, John

I think this problem happens with many older Soobs. The temp on my '88 w/ A/C stays about 1/2 up the guage usually. In the summer, when the A/C is on, the needle will climb up to just below the red & hoover there when i am cruising down the interstate. When I get off on the surface streets, it will slowly start rising & may just touch the red. At this point, I am shutting down the A/C, rolling down the windows, & maybe sometimes firing up the heater, just like you. i have replaced the radiator & cap, thermostat, hoses, antifreeze, ect... & still have this problem. Gave up on trying to get it to stay down to a normal temp w/ A/C on. I just watch it closely & take action when it starts to get hot. Not much help, but not an unusual problem.

Jimkup, is your electric fan kicking on at all?..............

Mine wasn't working for a while..........turned out I had some corrosion in the electrical connector to harness. No problems since; in fact, I think it has saved my backside with my recent Radiator dilemna..........:)

yea, I forgot to mention that i have the electric fan hardwired to come on when the key is turned on. It is an autozone replacement 'cuz the original crapped out a few years ago. Also, the mechanical fan on mine does not have a complete shroud around it, only like a small "finger guard" that covers the top of the fan. I have not been able to locate a shroud that completely surrounds the fan, so the air from it does not do a very good job of pulling heat from the radiator, especially while I am stopped at a light or something. Without a full shroud the fan just acts like an eggbeater. My FSM shows a complete shroud around the mechanical fan for the A/C model & how mine only has a small finger guard is a mystery to me.

Hey everbody. I am one blessed with a hot-breathing subie. I imagine that the radiator just isn't up to the task at hand. Hot days are hard for the little bugger . So my question is this: Can someone tell me the proper procedure for flushing a radiator/cooling system. What product(s) are best for flushing? The quicker the answer the better. I'm dying to take my sailboat out but don't feel comfortable trailering it when the subie is getting hot under normal load.

Thanks,

Yea--It's becoming that time of year--In no real order---

1. Have a radiator shop rod-out your radiator or tell you that it's junk--

2. Do a engine block flush--its amazing how much drek accumulates in the block---

3. I've found that installing a 70's Chev 160 deg thermostat (yes--it will fit in the housing) with a 1/4 hole drilled near the edge & installed at the "top" will work great during the summer--remove it for winter use!!

4. Install a new cooling fan thermo switch (if installed) & I wire a lighted on/off switch for emergency backup (if you wire it right, it will light up every time the fan comes on--VERY handy!!)

5. Make sure all the hoses are good--and be sure to check the little #@#@# that comes off the waterpump--I've see more than one car blow a engine from that hose!!

6. Add an oil cooler--remember that oil will cool your engine better than water--its where the heat NEEDS to be removed

7. Change the anti-freeze every other year (at least)--

8. Make sure that your timing-fuel mix & tune-up are as good as you can make them---

8. Go out and run over some hondas (just:lol: kidding!!)