Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Loyale trans. swap?

• 1 month later...

Any 5spd will bolt in.

If you get a turbo 5spd you will need to get turbo axles to match (25 spline)

Thanks for the help! As I searched for a 5mt some listings were showing some of the wagon transmissions as not being compatible with a 91 sedan. I guess that was the difference. Did the loyale wagons come as turbos only?  

It seems that the wagons were turbo and non turbo but the computer model search indicate non turbo wagons trans and turbo wagons trans are not compatible with the base sedan. Is this just an error with the model search software? 

not sure what you're looking at but nearly all information for Subaru transmission interchanges is not very complete and with 80's stuff it's often not precise.  like www.car-part.com if you're using that.

those databases use a limited range of interchange information, the number of actual transmissions that interchange is usually larger or can be expanded a lot with minimal effort (like using turbo axles allows you to use turbo transmissions too).  but the databases never "know" all that.

easiest way to do an auto to manual swap is to get a complete vehicle - rusted or wrecked really cheap - and have all the bits and pieces.

i have a 1988 EA PT4WD transmission with 100,000 or 80,000 miles if someone wants to make an offer.

Edited by grossgary

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I think I am in on this conversion. But I am hesitant to crawl under that old sled with just "jack stands" holding it up. Does anyone know an alternative stand or method or a safety backup to protect you if the jack stands fail?

Been using cheap Walmart jackstands for close to ten years now. Same set. I've crawled under a 1970 Chevy nova sitting on those stands. A little nerve racking but I've never had a problem. Way I see it, so long as you set them right you'll be fine.

Thanks for the response. Can you run a 4wd trans in FWD and wait until later to install the rear diff, drive shaft, bearing carrier etc?

no. cos the gearbox oil will all drain out the back where the tailshaft is supposed to go. The tailshaft is what seals the hole.

Why are you worries about jack stands? Rusty chassis?

putting tyres (on rims) under the sills helps as a backup.

Or dig yourself a pit :P

• 4 months later...

Any 5spd will bolt in.

If you get a turbo 5spd you will need to get turbo axles to match (25 spline)

Thanks! So, non turbo 5spd will use the 23(auto)spline axles?

If I use a turbo 5spd tran, will the 25 spline axles bolt into my original wheel spindles without a problem?

Right now I've got a 93 loyal 4-door sedan

front wheel drive 5 speed transmission

here in the next couple weeks I will be starting the project

I will be putting a 5 speed Dr transmission and rear diff out of an 87 Gl

Everything's easy to swap over The question I have Anyone have any good

tricks on putting up the carrier bearing on the rear drive line

As I've discovered there's no place to bolt the carrier bearing on a front wheel drive car

I know you can cut it out weldone in da dee da dee da

but I'm not much of a welder and really hate welding upside down

so is there any good Bolton tricks

Right now I've got a 93 loyal 4-door sedan

front wheel drive 5 speed transmission

here in the next couple weeks I will be starting the project

I will be putting a 5 speed Dr transmission and rear diff out of an 87 Gl

Everything's easy to swap over The question I have Anyone have any good

tricks on putting up the carrier bearing on the rear drive line

As I've discovered there's no place to bolt the carrier bearing on a front wheel drive car

I know you can cut it out weldone in da dee da dee da

but I'm not much of a welder and really hate welding upside down

so is there any good Bolton tricks

Been done with flat bar. Use your imagination :P

Considering that the carrier bracket is only spot welded on in a number of places, not fully welded, you could possibly consider using a number of larger pop rivets with washers on the other side.

But I don't guarantee this method and use at your own peril...

Or get a 1 piece tailshaft made up.

Or turn the car on its side....

Been done with flat bar. Use your imagination :P

Considering that the carrier bracket is only spot welded on in a number of places, not fully welded, you could possibly consider using a number of larger pop rivets with washers on the other side.

But I don't guarantee this method and use at your own peril...

Or get a 1 piece tailshaft made up.

Or turn the car on its side....

you know turning it on its side isn't a bad idea lol

one piece driveline how well do you think that would do with a lift

so do you think I also should cut the mounting bracket off the other car

For the carrier bearing Or just make up a complete new mounting bracket for it?

Will be starting a new thread about this soon

Thanks for the response. Can you run a 4wd trans in FWD and wait until later to install the rear diff, drive shaft, bearing carrier etc?

This can be done. Recommended at your own risk only. A spray paint cap fits in the tail and a rubber glove and a hose clamp will keep the fliod in. It may leak enough eventually. The trans can run in lo range as a FWD. The spinning shaft may wear thru the cap. Drive it in FWD.

It's best to get the trans and all the hardware and diff from the same cqar, if possible.

In regard to FWD to 4wd swap, I have made a few and fabricate up a mount from flat bar. My 86 3door was a fwd 5spd to 4wd d/r swap. The subaru maintenance vids show a loyale from automatic, but was already 4wd.

Here is my build thread if you would like to see, and a slideshow vid. 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/115300-86-3door-runaboutfwdft4wd-4-lug5lug-ea82-carbej22-or-er27-swap-rust-removal/?hl=%203door%20%20runabout%20%20coupe

something I recall, never investigated how accurate it is, word is the last Mazda 626 rear wheel drive of 1982? had a bolt off centre bearing support that fits an EA81 tunnel when doing the EA82 2 piece shaft. 1982 mazdas bit thin on the ground now ....