Jump to content

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

* * * * * 1 votes

long travel Outbacks or making Subarus faster and more reliable offroad

  • Please log in to reply
660 replies to this topic

#651 pontoontodd


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

These are the strut tops out of the Impreza.  Driver's side on the top, passenger side on the bottom.




New one on the left.  You can see the one from the driver's side on the right was cracked about 3/4 of the way around.




My friend recently had to replace the RR CV boot on his Forester.  I think the long travel finds any questionable boots and tears them apart.  Despite having anti seized the long bolt in his rear suspension knuckle and loosening it and turning it occasionally, it still rusted solid into the rear bushing.  Also the eccentric bolt for the lateral toe link was rusted solid.  There was a lot of sawzall action to get the rear suspension apart.  He got some group N bushings and pressed them into the links.  He got some 14mm stainless rod and I threaded the ends on the lathe to replace the long bolt.  We're hoping that won't rust in place.  At least if it just rusts into the knuckle it will be pretty easy to slide the links off the ends.  It will take a few years to find out.



#652 pontoontodd


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

I drove up to our friend's house just north of town Thursday afternoon in the Outback.  He had his dirt bike loaded in his truck and we headed north.  Met our friend from Ohio at the north end of Escanaba that evening.  My friend showed up around midnight in the long travel Forester.
We started up on some back roads and trails towards pictured rocks Friday morning.  I was trying to avoid it, but we wound up on the super whoop trail north of Gladstone.  My friend with the Forester decided since we were there we should hit it and take some video, so we went back and forth a few times.  Cars soaked them up pretty well, I bottomed at least once in the Outback while they were filming me since I was driving a little hard.  Following the Forester, it looks smoother than it feels, the Forester just seemed to stay level and the suspension thrashed up and down, but it's not too harsh in the car.  We drove up to Munising and ate lunch at a park in the harbor and watched them build a sea wall.  Drove up to Chapel falls and Chapel rock.  It was a 6+ mile hike round trip, but Chapel rock was amazing. 












Best car dirt art I've ever seen on a Yukon in the trailhead parking lot.




Then we headed towards our motel in Pine Stump junction.  Near the end of that leg we drove down along the Driggs River.  At first we went down the west side but it was blocked off a little ways down.  Then we went down the east side.  The dirt road was decent and winding but the last few miles were really big rollers, we were hitting those hard and getting some air, maybe the most fun trail we were on all weekend.
The next morning I checked all the suspension bolts which were mostly good.  By then everyone else was getting up and getting ready.  We headed back down to Newberry so he could fill up the dirt bike.  It only has a 2.6 gallon tank so he has a 110 mile range.  We tried the charcoal grade on the way back north.  It is basically a 6 mile dead end in the summer, most is just a straight rail grade with a lot of puddles.  Then we headed up to Crisp point lighthouse.  I believe it's still operational but you can walk to the top during the day.






From there we tried to get to Whitefish point.  We got to a spot on a trail where a beaver had built a dam and a lodge and flooded the whole area.  Someone had cut a big notch in the dam and there were a few bypass routes but the whole area was rough and swampy.  My friend got the Forester stuck, so I went around him with the Outback and pulled him forward but then I managed to get the Outback stuck sliding off a high line.  The Forester is lighter and has much less traction in mud, so the snatch strap wasn't doing much good.  We kept using that, a shovel, recovery ramps, and the electric jack on the low side of the Outback, and we eventually got it out, but it took us about two hours.  Our friend had gone ahead on the dirt bike and said the main trail ended at a house about a mile ahead.  We decided not to bother proceeding and went back out.  Still trying to get to Whitefish point, we were heading down a wide firm sandy road that had some long stretches of standing water.  Dirt bike was leading, followed by the Forester, and we were last in the Outback.  Forester went in a spot that was mostly only a foot or so deep but had a hole near the end he dropped into that was about 30” deep that flooded his engine.  Once the water had finished coming in, he had water on the passenger seat cushion.  I could only see a little bit of the top of one of his tires.  There was a ridge of dirt/moss on either side, so I was able to carry the snatch strap down to him.  We started pulling with the Outback in reverse.  It was slowly moving out, but maybe five or teen feet at a time.  Our friend suggested turning the Outback around, and then we pulled the Forester out smoothly since first is a little lower than reverse.  We took the spark plugs out and we soaked/siphoned the water out of the cylinders.  I think he siphoned a half quart out of one of them.  Still wouldn't turn so I pulled the oil drain plug until water stopped coming out.  We still couldn't get it to turn with a breaker bar or the starter.  At this point three couples in side by sides came down the road. At first they were going to go through and we kept telling them the water was over two feet deep, with no doors it would be in their laps for sure, assuming they could drive through it. The first guy's wife didn't look very happy that he was still planning on going and got out and put on her waders. They were locals and he started talking about how this part of the trail is normally dry but they've had rain more days than not this summer and the real water holes were up ahead, so they turned around. We tried pulling the Forester with the Outback and letting out the clutch to pump the water out, still wouldn't turn.  Tried pull starting it which didn't work.  Pulled it to Paradise with the strap.  The first few water holes we went back through were all the Outback could do to pull both cars through.  I had it in first gear at full throttle for long stretches, it's a good thing we had the six cylinder and mud tires.

After we got the Forester back to civilization we ate dinner and talked about what to do with it.  Figure it would cost $1500+ to get a decent engine and ECU and have them shipped in.  It would only take a day or so to fix but who knows what else might be wrong or go wrong later.  The car has 230k on it and is rusty so the chassis isn't anything special.  We decided it would be best to take the struts and some other parts off and get a different car.  Unfortunately there was no way to fit three of us and all our stuff plus the struts in the Outback so we decided to get the tow bar we'd left in the truck in Escanaba and tow it back home.

We bought gas and found a place to leave the Forester overnight.  We put some stuff in the Forester and the three of us piled in the Outback and we went to Newberry to spend the night.
Sunday morning we all went back to Escanaba so two of them could go home and got the tow bar, lights, and chains out of the truck to take back to Paradise.  On the way we stopped at the upper Taquamenon falls and did a little hiking.




We got to Paradise, aired up all the tires, hooked up the cars, and put some of the heavy stuff in the Outback.  We drove through a lot of rain, it wouldn't have been a fun day for riding the dirt bike especially, it was raining hard in the eastern UP all afternoon by the looks of the radar.  I had noticed the trailer wiring was getting torn up but figured we'd fix it when we got past the rain and got gas.  We got down to Menominee and got gas, ate at a Chinese buffet and fixed the trailer wiring.  Drove all the way through Wisconsin without coming to a stop until we were in the Chicago suburbs.  We disconnected the cars uphill from his house, he coasted it down into his driveway.  I drove home and was home before midnight.

Aside from killing the Forester it was a good trip.  Weather was good, we were on a lot of fun trails and roads, and having two long travel Subarus was great.  The dual sport was a better match than I'd expected, he said we weren't really holding him back, but he had no problem keeping up and was willing to go everywhere we went.  Before the trip I'd put on a different radiator cap on the expansion tank and this one seems to hold pressure.  When you take it off air escapes but it doesn't spray coolant.  I think we've had this expansion tank and plumbing on for about 2500 miles now and it hasn't used or gained any coolant.

We got a lot of video, eventually I'll get that edited and posted.

#653 pontoontodd


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

One of the last things I did before the UP trip was to finish the mounting posts for the sand ladders.  We did end up using them once, these posts and quick release levers worked out pretty well.




Over the weekend I replaced the rear wheel bearings, seals, and hubs.  The one that had been replaced a few weeks ago was questionable since it wasn't really sealed for a while and it was running hotter than the other three.  The other one hasn't been replaced in years, figured might as well do it now.  Replaced the parking brake hardware while it was apart.  The shoes were still thick so I left those in.

Also went through the rear struts.  Have to wait for a boot to come in, other than that just replaced the shafts and checked over them.  The rear shafts were still the originals from when we first built the long travel.  The thread pitch on them wasn't right since my lathe doesn't do metric thread pitches.  It was close enough to work for this long, but one of them was looking worn and burnt, so I replaced those.




I've noticed that the trailing link bushings are pretty loose, took them off and they look like this:




I had a couple that we haven't beat on, one actually looks new, so I put the fresh trailing arms on both sides.


My friend replaced the front control arm bushings that go in the extruded aluminum brackets with some Whiteline polyurethane bushings I'd gotten a while back.  We did a bunch of other little things to get the car ready for V2R.


He is still trying to decide what to do with his Forester.  My suggestion is to get a rust free turbo Forester.  He's considering that but also planning on taking the intake and valve covers off his engine while it's in the car to try to see how bad it is.  I do still have the EJ25 from my 99 Outback.  Sounds like we could use the bottom end from that, he'd have to use his heads and intake to make it work easily with his car.  That would be a nearly free (but labor intensive) way to fix his car.  Thoughts?

#654 pontoontodd


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

Did some work on the 2002 Outback from CA yesterday.  Changed oil and filter.  Front brakes have been making a squeaking noise sometimes, usually after it rains, goes away after some driving.  Checked the front brake pads and noticed the front passenger side CV boots were both starting to leak a little grease.  I pulled the axle, repacked it, and put on new boots.  One thing I noticed is that the outer CV splines were slightly rusty, going all the way to where the wheel bearing clamps against the CV joint.  I put anti seize on the splines so they don't rust in place, but it made me wonder whether water can slowly get in to the bearings from under the spindle nut.

Seems like the front diff oil level increased a while back, and who knows when it was changed last, so I changed that.  Wasn't much over full, and smelled more like gear lube than ATF, but was definitely thinner than cold gear lube should be. 

Last winter my wife said a few times she'd have to crank it a couple times before it started.  I started reading about the gold stamped cap in the fuel pump assembly cracking and leaking.  I took the fuel pump assembly out and that cap isn't cracked at all, so I just replaced the fuel pump.  When I started the car, the security light in the middle of the instrument panel was flashing, once then four times.  Started it up several times with no problems but the light kept blinking.  When I got in and closed the door and started it the light went out.  Might get a remote, the alarm goes off when we use the power locks.

Packed some bubble wrap in the hole for the driver's door mirror wiring, got some wind noise coming from there at highway speeds.  Hopefully that fixes it, other than that the car is very quiet.

#655 jf1sf5


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Geneva

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

Did you find out what makes your motor rough ? O2 sensor ?

#656 pontoontodd


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Did you find out what makes your motor rough ? O2 sensor ?

No but it hasn't done that the last thousand miles or so.

#657 pontoontodd


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

We have the Outback almost ready to go for the Vegas to Reno now.  Replaced a bunch of things just to be safe even though they seemed OK.

I replaced the fuel pumps.  One of them runs dry regularly, basically any time the main tank is 1/4 full or less.  Now we've got plenty of spares.

I replaced the air filter.  It had some sand on it but was otherwise dust and dirt free.

Replaced the serpentine belt and drew a diagram of how it's routed on the air filter housing.

I finished getting the struts back together and installed.

I got some 40A fuses and put one in for the jacks and the rest in the spare fuse / electrical bag.

My friend messed with the driver's door window.  It hasn't been closing all the way when the door is closed, which is especially a pain with the door bars in and window nets up, you can't easily open the door to run the window all the way up.  After some trial and error and consulting the FSM, he got it to close about 99% of the way with the door closed, definitely an improvement.

My friend put the light bar on and got all the lights aimed in useful directions.  With that on, the car has six 55W HIDs, they light things up pretty well.  The 6" KC pencil beam highlighters on the light bar that we converted to HID are amazing.  You can easily see the beam of light coming from them while driving.  The 2x3 KCs aren't quite as focused, and the stock headlights (now HID) spread the light out even more.

I made plastic visors for the tablets and TPMS to try to reduce glare.

I replaced the LF inner tie rod, it was slightly sloppy and the V2R will only make it worse.


I got a wifi security camera to use as a rear camera to display on one of the tablets.  It appears to need to be plugged into an ethernet cable to work, so I'll probably have to get something different.  Need to mess with that some more.

Still have to get a tire and swap a few tires around and then ship some to the pit service.

The RR caliper piston is very tight so I just ordered a new caliper.

Still have to put in the race radio and get some number stickers.

#658 pontoontodd


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

We've done some testing and aiming of the various HID lights.  One thing that seems strange is that I have 55w HID conversions on the stock headlights, KC 2x3 spot lights under them, and KC 6" daylighters on the roof rack, but they seem to put out different amounts of light and draw different amounts of current.  The 6" KCs definitely draw the most power and since they are pencil beams shine the farthest.  The high beams and the 2x3s put out a decent amount of light with more spread.  With all of them on it is almost like daylight.  With all of them on voltage is a little over 12.  With all of them and the AC it drops to about 10.6 but everything still works fine.  With the high beams, 2x3s, and AC, voltage is also a little over 12.  Turning off just the 2x3s (wired into fog light switch) has no effect on the voltage.  This is all when RPMs are above 2000RPM, at idle voltage is lower.  I don't know if the ECU would normally turn the cooling fans off while running the AC over a certain vehicle speed, but the way I have it hotwired the radiator fans run when the AC is on.  I tried the alternator off the original 187k mile donor engine and it is slightly worse if anything.  This all seems strange to me, the alternator should be 100amps.  I can't imagine the fuel pumps and other little things drawing more than 10 amps.  Each pair of HIDs should be 110w, which would be about 9 amps at 12V.  Fans supposedly draw about 20 amps each, so that adds up to about 80 amps max.


I got a little car travel wifi unit but we still couldn't get the camera to connect to the tablet, so I'm now planning on getting a dashcam.  Should be easier to connect but wider viewing angle.


Got a fresh set of tires on the car now and shipped a set of four to the pit service.  Took the rear seat out so we can fit two spares and all our crap inside.  Helmets and driving suits take up a lot of space.


Replaced the rear caliper that had frozen up, put new pads on it, and bled it.  Brakes seem a little better now.


My friend put the race radio back in and put an antenna that's supposedly matched to it on the car.  Seemed to work with one of our handheld radios.


We're going to have about 23 hours to do 540 miles of the longest desert race in the US, should be fun.

#659 pontoontodd


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

We drove the car out to the Vegas to Reno from Illinois again. Wednesday we got to Vegas about 3 in the afternoon. We put in the harnesses, door bars, lights, etc to get the car ready for tech.

After we registered and went through contingency and tech we met with Baja pits. Our plan was to stop every third pit (about every 100 miles) for fuel and switch seats and they would have a tire at those pits that
we'd shipped out before the race.

We had the afternoon to kill so we checked out the pinball hall of fame. Neither of us is a huge pinball fan, but they had some cool old mechanical arcade games ca 1970. They use blacklights, belts, tilting tables, reflections/projections. As a mechanical engineer that was cool to see. Then we went to the driver's meeting. They warned us about some crazy sounding obstacles on the 540 mile course. There was a  supposedly really torn up / soft section of powerline at mile 140-144. At about 170 there was a highway underpass immediately followed by a boulder field that the motorcycle guys would probably have to walk through. The last 20 miles of the course was supposed to be extremely rocky, worse than most years. On the plus side the pit closing times were much more generous than last year and we would only have to average 24mph to finish. That night we had dinner with an off road racer who lives in Vegas we used to race super buggies with in CORR/TORC. He told us if we made it 100 miles that would be a victory.

Friday morning we made the two hour drive up to Beatty where the race started. On the way the odometer turned over 230,000. Filled up the car at the gas station and drove to the staging area. Put on our drivers suits, used the port a potties, packed everything securely in the car, and waited to start. We entered Sportsman again. The car fits the 7200 class, which would have allowed us to start at least an hour sooner, but then we'd have 100+ faster vehicles behind us and we'd be ruining their race. Plus the Sportsman entry fee is about 40% of the normal entry fee. So we started in front of about six trucks with 350 ahead of us tearing up the course.

My friend started the race. A few of the faster sportsman guys passed us, the push to pass worked well. Less than ten minutes into the race the temp gauge started creeping up, there was a lot of soft ground and some climbs. Turned off the AC and temps were good the rest of the race. Also very early on the HVAC blower motor stopped working. We tried rolling down the windows but then it got even dustier. When we went through the silt sections dust came in the car and took forever to get out since the blower wasn't working, which made it hard to read the GPS. My friend was driving the car hard, it is a race and we wanted to keep up a good pace so it didn't take us 23 hours. Just before the first public road crossing and pit the tire pressure monitor started beeping, the left front was flat. We couldn't find Baja pits in the pit so we put
on the spare using the electric jack, which was a big improvement. He drove the next sixty miles or so to pit 3 with no other major problems. The course was rough though, nothing that we doubted we could make it through, but in that first 94 miles to pit 3 maybe 5 miles were smooth. My friend was pretty beat by the time we made it to pit 3, we both just sat down, drank a lot of fluids, and ate some food. Baja pits fueled the
car and swapped out our flat spare with a good one. We noticed some of the suspension bolts were loose and the strut tower was starting to split from the rest of the body at the seams. We couldn't think of any
realistic way to fix that in the pits. After it cooled off a bit I took the radiator cap off the expansion tank and all sorts of coolant boiled out. We took the bleed plug out of the radiator and filled it back up with water. We sat and talked with Baja pits for a while about what we should do, eventually they convinced me we should go to the next pit 60 miles away and see if the frame got any worse. I am glad we did, that next sixty miles was a lot of fun, maybe 20 miles of it was rough. There were long stretches of 50-80mph running. Even in the rough sections where I thought I was going slow I was going 30. The longest, fastest gravel road we got on I had the gas pedal to the floor for what felt like a couple minutes. There was a guy resting in the shade of his broken trophy truck, he'd probably been there for hours, and when he saw us coming he stood up and cheered for us as we went by. We got that reaction a bunch of times during the race and that was really cool. About halfway down that gravel road was a cattle guard with a two or three foot  gentle rise. Hit it about 80mph and got good air off the backside. The six cylinder was definitely an improvement, made it more fun but made it a lot easier in the soft terrain to power through or even just go up the grades without relying entirely on momentum. I also got to go down through a pine forest on a narrow dirt road with a bunch of sharp turns. My friend really got the short end of the stick driving. Near the end of that leg was the dreaded mile 140-144 rough powerline section. Seemed no worse than most of the rest of the course, which made us wonder how bad the other sections would be. We made it to pit 4 at probably an average of 40mph and feeling good until we looked at the body again. It had split considerably more, and what we'd just driven through was not super rough and I was trying to go easy on it in the
rough. Just ahead was the boulder field, we weren't sure if we could do that on a good day. It probably would have gotten to the next pit, maybe the next couple pits, but the odds of it lasting another 400 miles on
that course seemed very slim. We decided this would be a good place to stop while the car was still intact and head home. We stopped in Tonopah for gas and took 6 to Ely. There were no rooms available there so we drove up to Wendover.
Here is the only picture I've taken that shows how big the crack in the body is.  Goes almost all the way up and down behind the RF strut tower.
In the morning we took the HVAC blower out. There were a few rocks in it, hotwired it to a switch and it worked. Headed back east in the morning on 80 through Utah. At this point we realized the V2R still wasn't over. We were looking for a place to stop and take a little hike to stretch our legs along 80 so we went to the Firehole gorge NRA on the Green river. The whole NRA is crisscrossed with dirt roads and trails so we wound up spending all afternoon driving around there. We did a few things we probably shouldn't have with the car in the condition it was in, but most of the trails were fairly smooth, very smooth by V2R standards. The whole area was beautiful with not many other people on the roads/trails. Saw a lot of elk, some large fish jumping straight up out of the water, and saw a coatimundi crossing the trail right in front
of us. I had told my friend about Dinosaur national monument, at that point we weren't too far away so we drove down to Vernal to spend the night. We noticed the brake lights, fog lights, and dome light had
stopped working too.
Couple pictures at Firehole Gorge:
Hill/mountain we tried to climb there:
Sunday morning we messed with the wiring a bit, eventually my friend figured out the fusible link was blown. We replaced that and everything but the gauge lights worked. There was a brochure in the hotel about an arch just north of town that you can drive to in an ORV or hike the last part. There was a rough wash crossing about a mile from the arch that we decided would be very hard on the car on the way back so we parked at the car parking area and hiked up. Arch was very cool. Then we drove to the DNM visitor center and saw the quarry building. Not as good as I remembered it but definitely unique. I wanted to go back to Harper's corner trail in the middle of DNM, my wife and I had been on it years ago so we headed that way. We were looking for county road 16 off of 40 and I got us off on some dirt trail headed sort of the right way. A while later we were in a wooded wash with a bunch of trails that just kept getting rougher and weren't really going the way we wanted to go. We headed back towards the highway and found some other dirt roads that eventually got us to 16 and we went up to Harper's corner trail. It was just as dramatic as I remembered it, if not better, one of the best hiking trails I've ever been on. We had been debating driving Echo Park / Yampa bench roads to the southeast part of the park, but weren't sure if we'd want to do it with the Subaru and knew we had to make some progress towards home. While we were on the Harper's trail we could see part of the road that went through the bottom of a canyon and I decided we had to try it. We drove down the “dugway” which was just a bunch of switchbacks on a smooth gravel road. We went into Echo canyon, checked out the cave and river, definitely worth the drive. We went to the other overlooks along the Yampa bench road, they were all amazing, certainly by Illinois standards! I think there were a few slightly soft muddy sections along the road. You could have driven it in a normal street car, but it would be a rough and/or slow ride. We saw a badger running down the road right in front of us and some cows in the road. Stayed the night in Walden, still 1000 miles from home.
Arch north of Vernal:
Echo Park / Yampa road as seen from Harper's corner in DNM:
View from Harper's corner:
Echo Canyon:
Looking out of whispering cave:
Looking back on Yampa road, Haystack rock (I think) in the middle:
Monday we got up at 5AM, checked over the car, and went up to 80 for the trip home. We were running later than we'd planned since we'd spent most of Saturday and Sunday trail riding and only progressed about 300 miles east. On the plus side this meant we'd be in a good time and place to see the solar eclipse. When it started we stopped to get gas and put the cameras on the car. I dug out a piece of welding glass so we could look at the sun. Not very dramatic, sky just slowly got darker and then lighter over an hour or two. Could see the headlights on the road but you could see fine without them. It was kind of cool to see the sky dark behind us and light ahead, and then the opposite as the moon moved out of the way. The downside of this is that people from all over the midwest, particularly IA and MN judging by licence plates, had driven to NE to see this, and were then headed back east at the same time we were on 80 and then had to go through Lincoln and Omaha. This caused us a couple hours of delay and I got home just before midnight. My friend drove home from here.

I think given a very well prepared car and good drivers, a team could definitely finish the V2R in a Subaru in the time limit. We had just as much fun trail riding the next two days though, and a lot less wear and
tear on the car and bank account. We might go to the Texana ranch and try that course, but I think this car's days of Nevada desert racing are over.

We have a lot of video from our UP trip, the V2R, and trail riding on the way back.  It might be months before I get any of that edited and posted, but it's coming eventually.


#660 pontoontodd


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Loves Park, IL

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

We got a lot done yesterday.  Main focus was putting the body back in place and welding it.  Here are a couple more pictures of the damage:






We bolted a big piece of tube to the front of the strut tower and a piece of angle to the fender rail and welded them together.  Using a couple of big ratchet straps we were able to mostly pull the body back in place.  The last bit of adjustment was jacking up the corner of the bumper to bring that corner back up, then things were lined back up almost perfectly.






We also noticed the "frame rail" section of the body was buckled behind the crossmember and the control arms have been a pain to install for a while since the mounts seem too close together.  So I welded a couple pieces of tube on the body and crossmember and spread them out with a bottle jack.




Then I fully welded the seams that had split.




You can see where the spot welds were on this seam, I think there were only four or six for a two foot long seam.






I did a little more welding than this after taking the pictures and hit the welds with some spray paint.  Hopefully it's better than stock.  It's certainly much better than what we just drove 2000 miles back home on.


My friend took out the harnesses and race radio and put the CB back in.  The stereo makes some weird sounds when you turn it on and the buttons don't seem to respond, so that probably needs to be replaced.  We made sure the pencil beam HIDs on the roof rack still worked and took that off.


The big conundrum remaining is the wiring.  The fusible link probably first blew when the blower motor had rocks in it.  It did blow again on the way home without the blower motor wired to it.  I think it only runs the brake lights and dome light.  Replaced the fusible link and plugged the blower motor back into the stock wiring yesterday.  Now the dome light, brake lights, and blower motor all work, even all at the same time, and fusible link didn't smoke.  Time will tell how long that lasts.  Anyone know what else is wired to the fusible link or what else might cause it to blow?


The other electrical issue we had on the way back from Nevada was that the gauge lights weren't working.  Seems to just be a blown fuse, replaced that and they work now, but again, why did it blow and how long will it last?

#661 ferp420


    im not a typer

  • Members
  • 914 posts
  • el granada ca usa

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

Tube it or loose it yo lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users