Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL Coupe - Hardtop SSS

TheLoyale

I hope it works out just as good for you :) If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

So, since I was working on rebuilding the Hitachi (Until I broke a spring and the Needle Valve seat for the Float got stuck) I figured what a better time to do intake gaskets as well, along with clean up the top of the motor. I'm going to also reseal and paint the fill tube, Dipstick tube, and Valve covers. I have the Fel-Pro seal set ready to go!

So, I sand blasted the Intake with glass beads to clean it up nicely. I am also going to paint it with Cherry Blossom Red (STi color) And replace all bolts with Stainless for the reassemble. I also need to make a EGR Block off plate, and I also remove the EGR tube. I am using Brass plugs to block off the ports in the Intake and Head for the EGR tube. Watts LFA-159 is the number for the plug.

DSCF2476.jpg

DSCF2477.jpg

DSCF2479.jpg

DSCF2478.jpg

DSCF2480.jpg

• Like 2

Really not recommended to use Stainless fasteners in Aluminum.

They are opposite ends of the chart. The further away, the greater the chance of reaction between them.

We have enough issues using steel bolts as it is.

Then add in the coolant liking to weep in around the intake/head bolts. Not a good thing there.

I remembered hearing something about not using Stainless with Aluminum. I wonder how long it would take to become a issue. I did the Skiwagon with Stainless (Jamie would have to report how its working)

I really didn't want to run just zinc coated bolts (Or whatever standard bolts are coated with) any ideas on another plating?

I remembered hearing something about not using Stainless with Aluminum. I wonder how long it would take to become a issue. I did the Skiwagon with Stainless (Jamie would have to report how its working)

I really didn't want to run just zinc coated bolts (Or whatever standard bolts are coated with) any ideas on another plating?

The ski wagon has had very little use since i bought it =( but I have not noticed any issues yet. This summer was supposed to be the big push to finish up the exterior and get it basically finished, but I accidentally bought a house...

• Like 2

No idea on what plating would be best.

Do know that the quality of the plating makes a big difference.

The powers that be at work, switched to having Fastenal keep our fastener supply filled.

Big difference in their stuff compared to what we were using. Much better plating on stuff now.

Bought a few fasteners from them myself, and I'll get more as needed.

A bit spendy but worth it to me.

I had thoughts myself of using stainless fasteners until I did a Google search on it.

• Like 1

I made the EGR block off plate today and bolted it up and sealed it. Now is the time to prime and paint the intake! And then figure out the carb situation. I may just swap another (Already rebuilt Hitachi onto it for now) and then see if I want to go Weber later on.

I kinda just want to get the car back and running again.

• 2 weeks later...

So got the intake cleaned up, and now Primed and Painted with Cherry Blossom Red. Intake is now fitted back on top of the motor with new bolts with Stainless Lock Washers. Still need to get onto a Weber (Probably from Redline or CarburetorsDirect)

Gonna install a Holly Fuel Pressure Reg along side it and see what PSI to run it at (2.5 or 3psi)

DSCF2495.jpg

DSCF2496.jpg

DSCF2498.jpg

DSCF2499.jpg

DSCF2500.jpg

• Like 1

Great news! I just got the Weber 32/36dgev (WK730) today! I ordered it from http://www.webercarbsdirect.com and I am just amazed!

This is a night and day difference from the Weber I ordered from eBay (Which came in a Redline box) that I stuck on the Skiwagon. There is no rough castings, Adaptor plate is smooth and perfectly machined, Throttle plates work smoothly and close fully. It is just Outstanding!

Maybe this time around I will have a good experience with a Weber swap. Pictures to come!

• Like 1

Picture time!

DSCF2570.jpg

DSCF2571.jpg

Perfectly Machined Adaptor plate.

DSCF2573.jpg

DSCF2572.jpg

DSCF2574.jpg

DSCF2577.jpg

DSCF2576.jpg

DSCF2575.jpg

DSCF2578.jpg

DSCF2579.jpg

Adaptor plate on.

DSCF2580.jpg

DSCF2581.jpg

DSCF2582.jpg

DSCF2583.jpg

Now before I put the Carb on. I need to sand blast the Alternator bracket, get that painted and get some stainless bolts. I also need to get the Coolant bypass pipe back on (Already painted)

Still need to blast the oil filler neck and get that painted along with the pitch stopper and bracket. Dipstick tube is already painted.

Once all this is done and the car is running again, I will pull the Valve covers, Blast them and get them painted, install new cork gasket and grommets.

If I ever get to the point of pulling the motor, I will then reseal the rear main and oil pan.

• Like 3

Adaptor plates can be had on Webercarbsdirect.com for not too much. Its all genuine stuff too, not the cheep knock-off cr@p thats on eBay.

So anyhow, I am working on getting the little details buttoned up on this before I put the carb on. Cleaned up the Alt bracket, Oil fill, Dip stick tube, Pitch stopper and bracket and am painting them all. Need to get some bolts and some hose clamps, then get the carb on and tuned. All before the Aug 1st.

I am going to attempt to make it to the Madison Subaru Show (FL4TFEST) where this will be the only EA, let alone a Hardtop.

Also ordered a new (Reman) starter off Rockauto. Should be here by Friday.

Crunch time is on!

• Like 1

Yeah I was debating on selling it and possibly getting a 90s Legacy, just for the sake of having a 3rd vehicle to drive in winter and such. But, I couldn't just give up this car, being old gens are hard enough to come by in Wisconsin, let alone a Hardtop. So I got the carb on and tuned and its working well! Today was the first real day I've driven it with the swap. Been trying to work out some bugs.

I will take some photos and post some more info later :)

So here are some updates with photos.

$115.00 worth of Stainless M6, M8 and M10 hardware.

DSCF2584.jpg

DSCF2587.jpg

DSCF2586.jpg

Intake and Pitch stopper are painted with Grimmspeed Cherry Blossom Red, The rest is painted with Duple-Color Engine Enamel Pontiac Blue.
DSCF2591.jpg

DSCF2589.jpg

Alternator bracket and pitch stopper bracket are painted with Rust-o-lium Carbon Black.

DSCF2617.jpg

Weber 32/36dgev is on, tuned and running flawlessly. Couldn't be happier with this carb!

DSCF2613.jpg

DSCF2618.jpg

DSCF2616.jpg

Not sure on the MPG yet, but it seems to be fairly high. Filled it up and drove it well over 50 miles with stopping and starting and getting it up to 75mph off and on. Fuel gauge is just off of full. I'm gonna guess about mid 20s, but will confirm after the next fill up.

GL-SSS.jpg

Setting%20GL.jpg

GL%20Gauges.jpg

Stainless mirror hardware as well.
DSCF2590.jpg

• Like 3

Went to the FL4T-FEST 2015 at Madison International Speedway this Saturday. Took 1st place in Best Vintage (I was the only Vintage there) So it wasn't really rewarding to win :/ But it was a good time and got lots of positive feedback from people there.

There was a 360 Van there which was a survivor, but wasn't competing in the show as it was owned by Cheese Wheel, the charity organization which sponsored the Show.

Heres a few pictures.

That is xbeerds lifted '99 Legacy sedan in front of me.

DSCF2643.jpg

DSCF2662.jpg

DSCF2646.jpg

Trophy shots after the show.

DSCF2684.jpg

DSCF2685.jpg

Next thing to be done to this rig, is to sort out the brakes and get them up to par.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just rolled over 76,500 miles tonight. Also changed the the bulbs I put in the corner lights for the turn signals. I was running two 194s, which didn't draw enough to slow the relay down, and didn't put out enough noticeable light.

SO! I changed the bulbs to 914s which are 17.9w. So there are two 914s per light for the turn signals and one 194 for the parking light. Now there is a very notable difference when the turn signal is turned on. It looks like a factory turn signal.

I will take a video of them functioning later on.

For now, here is a photo, for kicks.

image-70.jpg

Also, I may be picking up some EA81 goodies from DBOZ in Appleton soon. Gotta snag the old gen stuff when its local!