Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are brats really this expensive now?

Depends on the region. Specs off the ebay add were kilo's. Maybe overseas. Here, I put a value on a rust free, dent free, with good interior (183k?) 

3500- 4000 if motor is perfect. 

i'd upgrade to pwr steering, better brake master, rear disks, 5 speed, and 15's . Keep the original paint and decal, and start at 6500 - 7000. Upgraded and rust free adds to rarity. Why not 

This isn't a 4wheel beater example. Plenty of those around.

I'd agree with your price. But people really do pay 8k. I hate if for parts prices but I love it because my car might actually be valued by others, not just a huge rush of nostalgia.

It would take a pretty penny for me to part with my Brat. Each to their own. I saw a really nice California Brat go for over 12k.

yeah me personally, and this is me not wanting to sell my vehicles but if i had to, i would want 5grand for my 79DL, 4,500 for my 89GL, 3grand for my 90loyale, and 6grand for my 93 impreza. and even if someone did offer me that, it would hurt me so bad that i don't think i would sleep all night. so i probably wouldn't sell it anyways, the pain is just too much, and someone crashing into me? man i don't even want to think about that happening, it would be a very sad day, no actually very sad year.. Edited by Subasaurus

I pulled up at a scrap yard yesterday to cash in some old batteries - paid for a new key to be cut :)

The owner announced he crushed three of these Brumbies and a wagon last week. Two still had rego and were driven in, driven up to the crusher.

Taking a peek at the cubes as I drove out was a bit like looking at the chimney at the crematorium :(

I pulled up at a scrap yard yesterday to cash in some old batteries - paid for a new key to be cut :)

The owner announced he crushed three of these Brumbies and a wagon last week. Two still had rego and were driven in, driven up to the crusher.

Taking a peek at the cubes as I drove out was a bit like looking at the chimney at the crematorium :(

And the remaining ones just went up in value. People will always want them so the more get crushed, the more the remaining ones are worth

Ugh...so very sad....

• Like 1

Ix there a fund I can donate to to save the brumbies? I absolutely I hate to hear a classic soob turned into a chevy cruz

not so much the Cruze, but more like an Aveo, or a FIAT, theres a reason why FIAT left the United States in the 1970's. i HATE their stupid 4dr egg, it was already ugly, hey!! lets make it a 4door and make it look as awkward as possible. Edited by Subasaurus

not so much the Cruze, but more like an Aveo, or a FIAT, theres a reason why FIAT left the United States in the 1970's. i HATE their stupid 4dr egg, it was already ugly, hey!! lets make it a 4door and make it look as awkward as possible.

Fiat has to be my least favorite brand. Giving the wrangler IFS is just wrong. They're slowly ruining the jeep wrangler, which I think is the last untainted car from the US.

Edited by comatosellama

Anyone interested in a gen 2 charity build. I know of a good wrecked one that could be married to a good front half one and we could basically save one car out of two that will be crushed. We would donate the labor. The only problem is that the main brat has no title so would be a salvage title.. We have motors, and seat, 4 and 5 speeds etc.

Just a thought ... 

I've been following the market on gen 1 brats closely. Examples that have been mostly restored are going for 10k +. Which surprises me given that the motors are usually going on 100,000 miles or are just a junkyard motor. I would expect a rebuilt engine for 10k+

And to think I got my 78 brat for free.And the parts one was $100.

• 4 weeks later...

a unique vehicle with good utility value...getting quite scarce, more so in clean condition...simple, reliable, parts availability still good...

if clean and rust free...yes, worth that to the right person...

consider it's often cheaper to pay top dollar for a clean example than to buy a restoration project and fix 30 years of neglect... 

rust & body repair knows no $$$ limit

• Like 2