Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The car went in for a tune up , afterwards I started noticing that it ran rough and was getting codes.  Finally have it down to one code that pops up repeatedly which is #4 cylinder misfire .  I replaced the plugs again , and moved plug wires around and even put a new ignition coil on.  Still getting the same code and I am wondering if it might be the injector starting to go bad, I have 259k on this engine and it doesn't use oil or run hot. The car will sometimes go 80 miles or so before the check engine light comes on and other times just a few miles and it comes on .  The engine is a 1996 2.5l and has run fine before all this started.

HI,

Move or replace that injector, and see what happens. Otherwise, I'd get a leak down test to see how the valves are doing. These 2.5's are due for valve adjustments every 105K miles, so you may be (over) due, and if ignored for too long a valve can get burned (literally).

Good luck,

TD

Make sure the injector is plugged in all the way. Sometimes they get unplugged to get a little easier access to the spark plug. Might not be clicked down all the way or there could be crud in the terminals causing a poor connection.

Typically misfire problems are spark related but it sounds like you've swapped enough ignition parts to rule that out.

New plugs , new wires they used bosch double platinum plugs and a good wire set, since then I have changed out the plugs twice and am still getting a P0304 code which says it is #4 cylinder misfire, the only thing I haven't done is change out the injector, and I did get a code one time that was listed as an injector, that was several months ago , and now am wondering if the injector is starting to fail.

No they were the single electrode, and I have changed them out , now I am looking at the fuel injector for number 4 cylinder and when I messed with it yesterday the code came on right away.  How hard is it to replace the injector in these engines and is there a difference between OEM and aftermarket injectors

loosen fuel rail and pop them in and out, pretty easy really.

they rarely have issues/fail so i doubt you'll see a statistically meaningful sample size on various options.

witchhunter and RC Engineering can pre and post test and rebuild injectors (the former being the cheaper)

used is a good option with how rarely they have issues.

unsure about aftermarket, given how easy they are to swap and if there's a compelling reason i'd probably try them.

these injectors dont fail that often.. that would be the last thing i replace.  If you can get a whole intake with injectors from a junkyard i would grab that and install. With this you will cover the injector and the wiring.