Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need new blades for my 2015 Outback.   The hardware assembly seems fine and I'm wondering if I can just replace the rubber insert.    I see this sold via Subaru but not sure exactly how these would be installed:

https://www.subarupartsandaccessories.com/p/Subaru_2015_Outback/RUBBER-ASSEMBLY-WINDSHIELD-WIPER-650MM/60018731/86548AL03A.html?partner=googlebase_adwords_maintenance_color_make_model_year&kwd=&origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzcbWBRDmARIsAM6uChXzcYELqGOeHqvSwikNhC034kkOava3gaaS5kCWoKSmBRTg3reE92AaAlLREALw_wcB

Does anyone else just replace the inserts? 

we have threads about wipers fairly often so, you might search for that.

I'm fond of the Trico hybrid design - Teflon Shield , and their Exact Fit for the rear wiper.

Thanks.  I did search "wiper blades" before I posted but there was nothing useful going back as far as 2013.  

Well with rain coming and needing to drive, I bought some Bosch blades on sale at AutoZone.    Not only does it seem like a lot to pay $36 for a pair of blades, but throwing away the whole assembly when just the rubber needed to be replaced seems like stupid waste.   I'll keep those oem blades on a shelf and hopefully remember to look for replacement inserts next time I need them.

Thanks all!

TBH I do not even think parts stores carry refill's anymore. Would have to special order. You would be about the first person in years I have heard actually want them. They were the cheap way out years ago. Now a cheap wiper is $4. They get frozen to windows, pulled, snapped. They loose  their spring from use. They are actually meant to be replaced. I have refilled stainless wipers in some of the classic cars that I have had and it's a pain to get them right. I wish there were off the shelf replacements for those, but not always.

As far as what I buy. Either the Trico wipers from Walmart or the middle of the road RainX. ~$20 per set. Anything more is a waste, and going to Autozone is a rip. Wipers are a large markup at those stores along with washer fluid

Subaru has pretty much discontinued refills. They did bring out a fairly nice hybrid style blade last fall when they started phasing out refills that's about $15 a piece, if you've got a dealer nearby, you could try those. My '04 Outback needs blades, and I'm thinking about trying those for it...

TBH I do not even think parts stores carry refill's anymore. Would have to special order. You would be about the first person in years I have heard actually want them. They were the cheap way out years ago. Now a cheap wiper is $4. They get frozen to windows, pulled, snapped. They loose  their spring from use. They are actually meant to be replaced. I have refilled stainless wipers in some of the classic cars that I have had and it's a pain to get them right. I wish there were off the shelf replacements for those, but not always.

As far as what I buy. Either the Trico wipers from Walmart or the middle of the road RainX. ~$20 per set. Anything more is a waste, and going to Autozone is a rip. Wipers are a large markup at those stores along with washer fluid

Advance Auto stopped carrying refills a few years ago.  The newer style blades made by aftermarket (Trico, RainX, Bosch, etc) are all once piece these days.  Buying them at auto parts stores is a high mark up item and can be cheaper if on sale and you have a coupon or a rebate gift card.

Thanks for the replies, the overpriced blades from AutoZone seem ok for now and hopefully I won't need to replace them for a good while.   I hate waste and am disappointed that I have to throw away the whole assembly just to replace the insert but it is what it is.

Did you notice that you can't get refills for pens anymore?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ink+pen+refills&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Just sayin'  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1