Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IT'S DONE! Swapped EJ22 for EJ25 in '97 Outback

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$2295 is still alot of flow, I would never sink that into a late 90's Subaru when you can pick a working OBW off Ebay for 3G's. I am selling my 97 OBW for 3100 this weekend.

Agreed. If you can do the swap yourself, you're looking at putting a $2300 engine in an old car that'll be worth $3000 - $4000 when you're all done.

If you can't do the swap and have to hire it out (like 90% of the population), you'll end up having more money tied up in the new engine & installation than the car is actually worth.

but most people aren't looking to sell the vehicle once the swap is done....

if you are planning on keeping the vehicle, you already know the history of repairs, etc.... and that should factor into what your car "is worth" when comparaing it to going out and purchasing a different vehicle... where history isn't clearly known...

I'd much rather put money into something I already have a trusted history of, then buying another....

but most people aren't looking to sell the vehicle once the swap is done....

quite right, you have to factor in how long you are going to keep the car.

i used to remodel kitchens. homeowners were always asking me how much of the kitchen investment could they expect to get back when the sold their house. my response was always the same, if you sell in the next 3 years, you'll get some, maybe most, of your money back. if you sell in 10 years you'll get all of it back and then some.

I am confused, will a 1995 EJ22 dual exhaust port, EGR motor with intake work in a 1999 Forester? Thanks, Todd
there are some issues to overcome. you're really asking us if you can do this swap...i have no idea how capable you, or your mechanic, are at working through the humps that you will encounter. i could make it happen, i've done some swaps but not this exact one so i can't give you specifics. so the real answer is that this probably isn't a good fit for you.

now - if you can find a 1999+ (not sure what ranges will work, but the junk yard databases should cross them) - a 1999 EJ22 should be a better fit and i think the intake manifolds will swap - so you could retain your EJ25 intake, making all the electrical/sensor issues go away. but again, i can't verify that either.

I have a good understanding of the mechanics and electronics on most engines but, I have never worked on a Subaru. Im sure the fundamentals are the same as most engine management systems. I have always wanted a Subaru. Now I can have a real nice Forester and the knowledge of the Subaru. I plan on keeping it for a long time. So I want to do it right. I just need the best engine for the swap and I belive I can figure out the rest. Thanks, Todd

todd - yours being a 99 forester will probably incur some issues. the best option is probably buying a new CCR engine with 36,000 mile 3 year warranty. excellent reputation.

if you're looking for cheap and an EJ22 - i think you will need a later model EJ22 - but i'm not sure of the years. the intake manifold will tell, but i don't have any to look at. in the 90's the EJ22 and EJ25 intakes are different, so they aren't interchangeable. later - the EJ22 intake changed and i believe they are completely interchangeable with the EJ25 - get one of those EJ22 and your existing EJ25 intake manifold will bolt right to it. this would solve all the intake, TPS, IAC, wiring issues.

for the newbie steve - yours is a 1999 Legacy so you shouldn't have those problems. is it SOHC or DOHC - if it's DOHC it'll be easy. nearly any EJ22 can be made to fit and almost all the previously written information applies to you. you sohuld search, read through it and get a good grasp on the idea before asking questions. there's too many variables to list them all at one time for someone who doesn't know anything. Todd's issues above are because his is a later model, i don't think you'll have those issues (if it's a DOHC which is probably is).

Mine is a DOHC EJ25.

I will keep reading, but I am dense sometimes.

that is good news - yours will be simple then.

just keep reading and take notes - put it in a spreadsheet or something on what you can or could use and ask questions once you get a good idea.

the basics are:

1995 EJ22 from an automatic

1996-1998 EJ22 with exhaust manifold

all of these have EGR set ups on them which you need (the 1995 manual won't have that).

and keep your old EJ25 - you'll just swap whatever A/C or power steering brackets from it onto the new EJ22. you're keeping your EJ25 A/C and steering so keep whatever brackets to hold them. it's very simple, it's all a bolt on affair.

that is good news - yours will be simple then.

just keep reading and take notes - put it in a spreadsheet or something on what you can or could use and ask questions once you get a good idea.

the basics are:

1995 EJ22 from an automatic

1996-1998 EJ22 with exhaust manifold

all of these have EGR set ups on them which you need (the 1995 manual won't have that).

and keep your old EJ25 - you'll just swap whatever A/C or power steering brackets from it onto the new EJ22. you're keeping your EJ25 A/C and steering so keep whatever brackets to hold them. it's very simple, it's all a bolt on affair.

Great news....motor is half out of the Outback now...

Well, not having a 99 or 2000 EJ22 to look at, can anyone indeed verify that the 1999 EJ25 SOHC manifold, will bolt onto a 99 or 2000 EJ22?

Although with the new 99 plus EJ22, you are still getting an interference engine, piston slapping, irritating engine!

Oh, I'm assuming the 1999 and 2000 EJ22 are the same?? Anyone know that?

Todd (subaru3)

My bell housing:

1240932_zSFWy-L.jpg

Motor I am looking at:

257734337_Qafs7-L.jpg

appear to be more bolt holes in my bell housing than there are in the motor...are some of the holes not necesary and if so do all the others line up? Not sure.

Looks like I am just gonna pull the heads on the motor I got and get them redone. My motor only has 60K on it since rebuild.

the 8 bolt holes should not be an issue, the 4 on the other engine will line up with 4 of your existing holes...whatever issues you encounter with that should be minor.

yours is a 1999 and the Legacy did change in 2000 i think is what someone said, so i would want to verify the intake manifold/wiring/plugs are right for you. i'd hate to assume that 12/31 and 01/01 was the exact cut off, i bet there's some variance there. without seeing it i can't offer you any more help.

Looking at the motor I am pondering from the front appearts that everything is complete and ready to bolt right in except for the issue with the bolts and the exhaust.

257734419_HeMdV-L.jpg

My EJ25 was throwing cat codes (410 I think) and 02 sensor codes. Which will require the replacing of the cat and manifold as they are one peice. I can solve the port issue by buying the 2.2 manifold and cat. I am just not sure about the bell housing bolts.

Steve, the first thing I see is no provision in the new

engine for the

lower starter bolt

(just comparing your pictures)

Second make sure the flex plate is the correct diameter.

Third, minor issue.you and Todd should start your own post

this one is 6+ pages deep

• 1 year later...

Ok so most of the swaps done look like they have been AT cars. My question is has anyone done a MT vehicle and what issues were encountered. Little background on what I am planning:

Swapping the EJ25 out of my '99 Outback with manual trans.

Going to look for a 95-96 EJ22 engine (if the 91 EJ22 will fit I know exactly were to get it- please let me know) or a newer EJ22 (so I can swap the EJ25 intake over)

Primary concern - will an engine from an AT match up (I know to swap the flywheel) and will the starter fit? Or do I have to get the engine from a MT vehicle?

I am very proficient at engine swapping in Subarus- can have one out in under 3 hours (do it to replace clutches- much easier than dropping the tranny) so I have no problem with the idea of a swap- just want to know what items to look at to match up the engines.

Yes, the EJ22 from an AT car will swap into an EJ25 car with a manual tranny and everything lines up, at least on a pre-'99. I just swapped a '97 EJ22 from an AT Impreza into a '97 MT 2.5GT wagon and there were no bolts, holes, connectors, or vacuum lines left over.