Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ea-81 Overheating ??

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dritchie

dritchie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Euclid, Ohio

Posted 28 August 2003 - 04:02 PM

Just a question and maybe to get some advice.

I have an EA-81 with auto transaxle in my trike.

on a hot day at 55 to 60 MPH for just a few minutes the temp rises from what I call "normal" 210 F. to 230 F.
when I slow it down to 35 - 40 .

It takes it a while to cool down to 210

Will an oil cooler help ?

Don

#2 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,152 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 28 August 2003 - 04:09 PM

I think it will. also, how is your radiator, and fans set-up.

as far as the oil cooler helping, it's been nasty hot here in Iowa this summer, and all of my soobs have been riding a little warmer than normal, except for 1. andf the is my 84 Turbo Brat, which actually has a double oil cooler on it.... I'm not sure how it's plumbed yet, but it's been staying cool all summer....

#3 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 28 August 2003 - 04:09 PM

All your cooling system parts good to go? Thermostat, radiator, fans, fan thermo switch, coolant mix, good hoses... Coolant system getting plenty of air flow?

#4 dritchie

dritchie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Euclid, Ohio

Posted 28 August 2003 - 04:44 PM

Air flow IS the problem.

everything else is in good shape

Thermostat, - Stock

radiator- good used "afternmarket"

fan, blowing thru the radiator
( rear to front)

fan thermo switch- none ( always on)

coolant mix more then 50% antifreeze

hoses - all new, but long

You really need to get a look .
go to tell

http://www.cyberonic...itchie/FIN3.jpg

http://www.cyberonic...itchie/FIN9.jpg
What you see to the left of rad is tranny cooler

Thanks

Don

#5 EmmCeeBee

EmmCeeBee

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • SW Washington

Posted 28 August 2003 - 04:52 PM

Why rear-to-front for the fan? Other than that's the way it's mounted, stock.

I think at 60mph you're gonna have competing airflow. How about just wiring the fan up backwards to see what difference it makes? It would be even better to mount the fan backwards so the veins pull more effeciently.

At slow speeds, I'm sure the airflow is easily overcome by the fan, but it seems that >50mph, you're probably driving the fan backwards as it is...

-- Mark

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 August 2003 - 06:07 PM

Well - actually - you won't have competing airflow. This was a problem back in the day when fans were made from metal. The switch to plastic fans was made specifically to overcome that sort of problem. At 50 MPH or so, the fans are designed to flex so the blades are flat, and allow air to completely bypass them. Most poeple just don't know that.....

GD

#7 dritchie

dritchie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Euclid, Ohio

Posted 28 August 2003 - 08:36 PM

The reason the fan is mounted the way it is, because that is the only way it will fit.
I tried to turn the fan in the other direction, but air flow is not good "thru" the radiator with the fan going that way.
( fan pitch wrong)

I never thought of taking the fan off and
turning the blades around, if that's possable.
Now back to the oil cooler question, would that work, or would it possably cause a problem, running the oil to cool ??

What IS nornal temp. anyhow, maybe I'm making to much out of nothing.

Don

#8 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 28 August 2003 - 09:01 PM

All you should have to do to change the direction that the fan blows air, is to swapp the two wires.

#9 bbbs53

bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 30 August 2003 - 11:11 PM

Hi, having just gone through this, you mentioned a stock radiator. New? It may have looked great, but if it isn't new, I would start there. If it is new, then you will have to play with the fans and the thermostat until you hit the right combo. You may want to check with the airplane guys, they have solved all the non stock use problems, Bradd

#10 SubaRube

SubaRube

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • San Leandro, CA

Posted 30 August 2003 - 11:55 PM

I have also just been through a similar scenario. The car only got hot when I got up to around 55-65. Needed a new radiator. Once they start to clog up, they're toast, don't bother flushing.

If it's an airflow problem and you can't fix it, how about a lower temp. thermostat? Or a double-row radiator? Assuming you don't already have one. Not sure how much help that fan is on the back like that. It looks like you might need some kind of small scoop underneath to pull up air from below, and onto your radiator. Or maybe some side scoops? More potent fan maybe?

Good luck, the trike looks cool.

Man, those old VW's didn't have to worry about this. They had it easy.:D

#11 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 31 August 2003 - 12:14 AM

What about making some air ducts that would direct air through the rad at speed? Also, either wire the fan so that it can be turned off to avoid the "competing airflow" thing at high speed, or buy a cheap aftermarket fan that blows the right way.

By the way, that trike looks sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

#12 SubaRube

SubaRube

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • San Leandro, CA

Posted 31 August 2003 - 12:24 AM

I was thinkin' the same thing, with the air ducts. With some custom molded scoops as part of the fiberglass body. Assuming it has a body. That would be cool. No pun intended.:brow:

#13 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 31 August 2003 - 12:38 AM

Here's what I see. The fuel tank really limits air flow. But that is obviously where it needs to go. What is the original application of that radiator? It looks kind of small. I think some sort of ducting could be the answer. Either from the bottom or the left side. Do you have any pics with the seats and body panels on it? You might need to relocate the radiator to the front of the motor.

Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users