Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea-81 Overheating ??

Just a question and maybe to get some advice.

I have an EA-81 with auto transaxle in my trike.

on a hot day at 55 to 60 MPH for just a few minutes the temp rises from what I call "normal" 210 F. to 230 F.

when I slow it down to 35 - 40 .

It takes it a while to cool down to 210

Will an oil cooler help ?

Don

I think it will. also, how is your radiator, and fans set-up.

as far as the oil cooler helping, it's been nasty hot here in Iowa this summer, and all of my soobs have been riding a little warmer than normal, except for 1. andf the is my 84 Turbo Brat, which actually has a double oil cooler on it.... I'm not sure how it's plumbed yet, but it's been staying cool all summer....

Air flow IS the problem.

everything else is in good shape

Thermostat, - Stock

radiator- good used "afternmarket"

fan, blowing thru the radiator

( rear to front)

fan thermo switch- none ( always on)

coolant mix more then 50% antifreeze

hoses - all new, but long

You really need to get a look .

go to tell

http://www.cyberonic.net/~dritchie/FIN3.jpg

http://www.cyberonic.net/~dritchie/FIN9.jpg

What you see to the left of rad is tranny cooler

Thanks

Don

Why rear-to-front for the fan? Other than that's the way it's mounted, stock.

I think at 60mph you're gonna have competing airflow. How about just wiring the fan up backwards to see what difference it makes? It would be even better to mount the fan backwards so the veins pull more effeciently.

At slow speeds, I'm sure the airflow is easily overcome by the fan, but it seems that >50mph, you're probably driving the fan backwards as it is...

-- Mark

Well - actually - you won't have competing airflow. This was a problem back in the day when fans were made from metal. The switch to plastic fans was made specifically to overcome that sort of problem. At 50 MPH or so, the fans are designed to flex so the blades are flat, and allow air to completely bypass them. Most poeple just don't know that.....

GD

The reason the fan is mounted the way it is, because that is the only way it will fit.

I tried to turn the fan in the other direction, but air flow is not good "thru" the radiator with the fan going that way.

( fan pitch wrong)

I never thought of taking the fan off and

turning the blades around, if that's possable.

Now back to the oil cooler question, would that work, or would it possably cause a problem, running the oil to cool ??

What IS nornal temp. anyhow, maybe I'm making to much out of nothing.

Don

Hi, having just gone through this, you mentioned a stock radiator. New? It may have looked great, but if it isn't new, I would start there. If it is new, then you will have to play with the fans and the thermostat until you hit the right combo. You may want to check with the airplane guys, they have solved all the non stock use problems, Bradd

I have also just been through a similar scenario. The car only got hot when I got up to around 55-65. Needed a new radiator. Once they start to clog up, they're toast, don't bother flushing.

If it's an airflow problem and you can't fix it, how about a lower temp. thermostat? Or a double-row radiator? Assuming you don't already have one. Not sure how much help that fan is on the back like that. It looks like you might need some kind of small scoop underneath to pull up air from below, and onto your radiator. Or maybe some side scoops? More potent fan maybe?

Good luck, the trike looks cool.

Man, those old VW's didn't have to worry about this. They had it easy.:D

What about making some air ducts that would direct air through the rad at speed? Also, either wire the fan so that it can be turned off to avoid the "competing airflow" thing at high speed, or buy a cheap aftermarket fan that blows the right way.

By the way, that trike looks sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Here's what I see. The fuel tank really limits air flow. But that is obviously where it needs to go. What is the original application of that radiator? It looks kind of small. I think some sort of ducting could be the answer. Either from the bottom or the left side. Do you have any pics with the seats and body panels on it? You might need to relocate the radiator to the front of the motor.

Ken