Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the hood scoop actually comes in right over the throttle body on my 99' OB if you cut out the plastic gaurd insert and put a piece of screen over it it would be functional... at least to push more air into the engine bay not into the intake unless you rigged up some sorta filter and tubing..

Time to do some cutting under my hood.

I'm sure if water gets into the actual throttle body that would be bad.

Does anyone make an aftermarket short ram intake for the EJ25 on a 99 OBW?

Hey Meeky, how many miles are on your OB? Any major problems I should look out for? Thanks.

Time to do some cutting under my hood.

I'm sure if water gets into the actual throttle body that would be bad.

Does anyone make an aftermarket short ram intake for the EJ25 on a 99 OBW?

Hey Meeky, how many miles are on your OB? Any major problems I should look out for? Thanks.

Your TB should be completely sealed, and if only a little water got in it would burn off if you were above 3K rpms or so. But that shouldn't happen. There are a couple EJ253 intakes. Cobb, etc. You can do a search in the NA forums over at nasioc, they love buying stuff instead of making their own. My friend and I both have 99s, Forester and OBW. I got us each an intake piece out of a GC8 2.2/1.8 Impreza, which fits right on the TB and bends down toward the fender, but basically deletes the second intake box.

• 3 weeks later...
water in the scoop will not hurt anything unless you stick a cone filter right behind the scoop and drive in a storm.

Even then it won't hurt anything. Cone filters have to be SUBMERGED in order for damage to occur. Don't believe me? Put one on your shop vac, and put HALF of it in the water. A tiny amount of water might come up, but for the most part, the filter still above the water will be sucking air in at twice the regular rate. And... a little water is good for the engine. Hence the reason water injection is around. Increases compression a tad, cools the pistons, removes a bit of carbon.

Anyway...

I always thought a car like the WRX with the fuctional hood scoop and the intercooler right behind it would work better in the rain. Look at the the 2004 WRX STi, it comes with a water sprayer for the intercooler.

bought it with 134k, sits in the driveway with a cracked block with 15 miles more than that.. otherwise is a nice car, lol.. only drove it once, from the shop to home.. then i yanked the motor.. bought it with a bad engine i knew that but for $1k i couldn't pass it up, even if it takes me 6 months to get another engine for it..

• 2 weeks later...
Would the rain or carwashs hurt anything if i were to do that? Doens't really seem like it would but i've never had the guts to mess with the insert on my OBS.

I work at a carwash and we wash cars with hood scoops all the time. Some of my co-workers have been known to spray a high pressure washer directly into the scoop, and we have had no complaints about any sort problems related to this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is a bit off on what you guys are talking about, but I have a 97 impreza outback sport (has a big cosmetic hood scoop) and it was recalled:

(the recall fix was putting a piece of tape over a couple holes...)

"97 RED ALERT!

Subaru of America, Inc, has determined that some 1997 model Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 2.2L vehicles may experience corrosion of the oxygen sensor wiring harness connector due to water drainage from the hood scoop air duct. Under this condition, your vehicles On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system will illuminate the "CHECK ENGINE" light on the dash indicating the need for prompt corrective action by your Subaru dealer.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:

To prevent this condition, you should immediately contact your Subaru Dealer for an appointment to modify the hood scoop air duct and the oxygen sensor wiring harness connector at no cost to you. The approximate time to perform this repair is less than 40 minutes. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your vehicle the full day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer some flexibility in scheduling other customers. Should you have any questions regarding this, please contact your nearest Subaru Dealer or Subaru of America, Inc., at 1-800-782-2783 (1-800-SUBARU3). "

just thought I'd mention it incase anyone was thinking of opening up their scoop on an obs,(I did as soon as I bought the car in 04 but then I read about the recall and closed it back up) don't think it applies to the regular outback wagons, but who knows?

What is the use of the scoop on the 96-99 Outbacks? It doesn't feed anywhere near the intake.

An airscoop in that position is totally useless as it is out of the airstream at speed. If the opening was facing the windshield, it would suck in some air.

• 1 month later...