Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX sway bar ??

Guest toybuilder

Wow. 08-22-2003 I posted that I would get around to talking about spring rate and haven't done that yet.

I did change out the springs on my car though.

I can vouch for the RX front and the XT6 rear being a good balanced combo for swaybars. I have a much heavier spring in the rear too.

You can force oversteer if you trailbrake deep enough into the corner, just have enough ummphh to get it to walk back around.

Don't turn the wheel, jab the loud pedal.

Jay

Thanks for reviving this thread - I am planning to put a rear sway bar on my car (non-turbo w/o one) - I think I even know where I can get one off an XT6!

How about an XT6 front swaybar too? would that be better than an RX one?

Gravel, what springs did you use on the rear? Any idea what the spring rate is? Any idea the spring rate on the accord front springs?

I'm running 18/20 and mine handles pretty good. I'm adding poly bushings (they arrived a couple days ago, thanks Ed) and a set of GR-2's

• 6 years later...
yeah I guess so.

I imagine there wasn't an XTDL on hand to measure that day either.

can anybody tell me the difference (if any) in shape between a 4wd sway and a 2wd sway?

Front or rear?

Should be no difference for the front, the rear might be - I'll take a look at my parts book later.

And I cant edit that chart, sorry :-p

Yeah. The rears are the same shape. My xtgl bar is on my Xtdl now.

Just to see if it would fit.

which was a 20MM like the chart says.

and boy howdy the car turns even easier now.

manual steer plus 20mm rear is a very sporting feel!

Edited by zukiru

• 1 year later...

I'll bring this topic up so I don't have to make a new one.

I just parted my 1990 leone stationwagon and found out that I have a 19mm front swaybar and a 18mm in the back. Has anyone seen these 18mm rear swaybars before ? The chart from the page one of this topic or either my factory manual does not recognise that 18mm rear swaybar.

It's not really a problem ofcourse since I think the 19mm front and 18mm rear is a good combo. I've just never stumbled against that rear setup.

I put a 24 or 25mm replacement on the front of my MY 1984 EA81 Brumby without one on  the rear , tarmac handling with 50 series tyres is excellent :)

No one mentions fitting a rear bar requires at least the angled trailing arms from donor car or make brackets to hold the rear sway bar to the correct points. The bar off a FWD will interfere with the diff set up of a 4WD, generally won't fit.