Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Outback - Running lights will not go off

Looking for some help with this problem:

My running lights are always on. The only way I can get them to extinguish is to disconnect the battery. I just bought this vehicle from a dealer in another state & it was shipped to me. I did not notice this problem when the vehicle was delivered in the daylight. I suspect the factory security system relay that flashes the lights when you arm or disarm is stuck in the closed position? Can anyone point me in the right direction to find this circuit/relay or could it be something else? Thanks for any replies, Mike.

Dang, two in one day.

farve, go back out and turn off the rocker switch on the top of the steering column. It's now semi-officially called "The Subaru Virgin Switch". It will turn off your parking lights. It will also turn them back on ... that's what it's there for.

To make Americans crazy?

Wow, now I feel really stupid! Thanks alot, that was it. Obviously this obscure switch is a great way to unknowlingly drain your battery during the day Thanks again.

Dang, two in one day.

farve, go back out and turn off the rocker switch on the top of the steering column. It's now semi-officially called "The Subaru Virgin Switch". It will turn off your parking lights. It will also turn them back on ... that's what it's there for.

To make Americans crazy?

Wow, now I feel really stupid! Thanks alot, that was it. Obviously this obscure switch is a great way to unknowlingly drain your battery during the day Thanks again.

See farva it works, yesterday you were a Subaru Virgin. And now, with the flick of a simple switch YOU are experienced!

Ain't technology grand?

• 1 month later...

My wife wakes me up this morning...she's about to leave for work but realizes the running lights are on with the key off. I can't figure out so I fire up the computer and search for "running lights" on USMB and find this post.

Easy fix.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I love the Internet. Thanks USMB.

• 4 months later...

Boy, do I love the internet and forums like this one!!! :banana:

My lights were on, and, since I'm a new Subaru owner, I had no idea why. This was the first post I read, and BINGO! ...problem solved. :)

By the way, what purpose is that switch supposed to serve?

Thanks everyone.

lekmedm

I bought a 93 loyal with "wiring problems" for parts. The guy told me he toke it to the garage and they couldn't find the problem. I towed it home and went to pull out the clock and saw the switch had been flipped. I put in a new bat. and drove it for a little over 60 k before selling it. Best $200 I ever spent. Or should I say easiest $600 I ever made.

By the way, what purpose is that switch supposed to serve?

I believe you're supposed to be able to turn on the marker lights without requiring the key. In other countries I've heard you need to leave them on at night while parked on narrow roads so people can see your car there.

Personally I prefer having the switch and headlights that turn off with the key vs. headlights you can leave on without the switch

yes - this switch got me too on the 97 OBW.

On my old Saabs the 'parking light' position on the headlight switch has an unswitched power, so the corner lights stay on when in that position.

But I wouldn't call these "running lights", as at least in most states in the US, it's against the law to run with just the corner lights on. They are intended, as was mentioned above, as markers when the car is parked. Of course, many years ago, "four-way flashers" were added for a similar purpose.

I've had a few interesting experiences with the parking light switch.

I was making a parts delivery to a small car dealer and noticed he had a couple of Impreza's sitting around. Since I was delivering Mitsubishi parts, I mentioned that we also handle Subaru parts. The guy said, "does your dealership have good techs." I said, "yes we do, but why?" He said that the one Impreza over there, "has a wiring problem because the tailights won't go off." Here he spent hours and tore apart the lower dash to fix this "problem", and I went over and just flipped the column switch off. He just couldn't stop chukling to himself.

It helps to read your owners manual somtimes.

Welcome to the club, anyone that says this hasn't happend to them is either lying or a Subie hero.

Didn't happen to me (why do I feel left out?). It may be because I play with all the switches until I know what they are for when I get a "new" car. . . I noticed that this switch mimicked the parking light position in the stalk, but I did not know for a while after what the difference was. . . That was how I learned that the headlights go off with the ignition switch. . .

I was in a semi-dark parking garage (car-park) when I found out exactly what the switch did. 3 months later, I was able to get my hands on an owner's manual. By that time it was useless. . . :brow: