Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what do you think about this item from EBAY

hi

i don't talk about the money now.

i'm talking about this item - if it work,i mean , is this thing is "MUST" for the engine...? why they didnt do it from begining, if it so important,why in original subaru you don't find it?

the oil filter wont do this job - taking out the metal particles?

It'll work, I don't know how well but I've seen alot of oilpans with strong magnets on the bottom and magnetic drain plugs. They all collect some metallic crap eventually and can't hurt anything. I've seen a few older aircooled VW's with magnetic drainplugs but their oil filtering systems are very crude most are just a dome of mesh.

It couldn't hurt.

SOmething else you might consider is mounting a neodymium magnet somewhere on the pan. If tiy have an old computer hard drive laying around, thats an excellent source for good strong magnets.

One thing to keep in mind though, the vast majority of the parts in your motor are aluminum. and that doesn't stick to magnets

One thing to keep in mind though, the vast majority of the parts in your motor are aluminum. and that doesn't stick to magnets

But this is a SUPER STRON magnet! Surely it can attract aluminum! :)

Anyway, a magnetic drainplug can't hurt, but like Caleb said, it isn't going to pick up much. I had one in my old Sentra (iron block, aluminum head), and it picked up some stuff, but not tons.

save your money. get it locally if you really want one. ive seen them in parts stores for like $5.

Yea whats with this A hole charging 10 Dollars for shipping on that one. I once paid 10 Dollars for shipping on one CD on Ebay. I had to because it was the only seller with the Disc. It was advertised as a 94 Subaru Manual on CD. Turns out it was 83-2002 Subaru Manaul. It covers just about anything. The seller got booted from ebay shortly thereafter. Turns out they were selling bootleg copies of Mitchell-on-Demand.

I have had magnetic drain plugs on several vehicles, and it always has metal on it when I drain the oil. What I do now is I bought some rare earth magnets off of ebay, and just stuck one on the oil filter of all my vehicles. Change the filter, swap the magnet onto the new one. That way all the shavings go with the old filter. It does work, and no matter what oil you use you will always have metal in it.

I noticed on my 89 GL-10 when I changed out the power steering fluid that there was a magnet inside the resevoir. If they didn't make a difference, Subaru wouldn't use it.

I also stuck some on the outside of my whole house water filter, and was amazed when I seen how much rust and mineral deposits stuck to them!

As far as the aluminum theory, the parts that are in contact with each other are not aluminum, like the rings and cylinder, the crankshaft, the cam, rockers, lifters, valves, etc. That's where you get the shavings, or microscopic particles really.