Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise control not working in '98 Impreza Outback Sport

I recently purchased a 1998 Impreza Outback Sport with 135,000 mi. This car runs great and everything is in great working order, except the cruise control.

Recently, I decided to have my mechanic look at the cruise control. He told me that he didn't have the equipment to diagnose the problem, so he told me to take the car to the local Subaru dealer. The Subaru shop told me that the ECU is the problem. The dealer gave me a quote of about $460 parts/labor to replace the ECU. They then informed me that they didn't have the part in stock, but that they would order it. They had me make an appointment for the next week.

Eight days later I show up for my appointment, and they tell me that the part isn't in. The shop manager tells me that he'll call me when the part comes in to schedule another appointment. That was a week ago.

I'm just wondering if the ECU could be the problem and if it's really this expensive. I'm also wondering if parts for my car are hard to come by in general, or does the dealer just not want to help me out. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

tbrickn

So they're saying that ECU is the reason the cruise is not working? Are they saying the car's ECU is the problem or the cruise computer is the problem?

I don't see any reason why the car's computer would have anything to do with the cruise not working. It sends signals to the cruise computer to let it know what's going on....but the car's computer does not control the cruise.

Personally....it sounds like they're ripping you off.....but that's just me.

The dealership definitely told me that the ECU is the reason why the cruise is not working. I've been trying to read as much as possible about the ECU, and my car doesn't show any of the typical symptons of an ECU that is going bad.

As far as diagnosing the problem, I don't know what they did. I don't think I'll be going back to my local Subaru dealer though.

tbrickn

What tranny do you have?

My cruise went out in my 98 OBS with Manual tranny because the clutch pedal sensor was bad. Basically, the cruise thought the clutch pedal was being pressed and would not work. The part was a whopping $7 to replace.

Just a thought and something to check. My dealer found the problem and replaced for free.

good luck!

long time ago we (my family) had a k5 blazer that the cruise didn't work in. The brake pedal was making just enough contact to the switch to not allow it to engage. When you followed the vehicle at night you could just see the faintest amount of light flicker and that was the problem.

I have this problem too, and I looked at the clutch pedal.. there is a little sensor thing that sticks out like a button and when I let the clutch go, the little sensor goes through a hole where it looks like it shouldn't? I am going to try to tape it when Im not sick and see. ill let you guys know. and from my experience, if the ECU was bad, there would be a lot of other problems going on, no tjust the cruise control. try looking at your pedals, there are little sensor prod things above the pedals, check to see what yours are doing as you push the pedals and let them back in

Check the mechanical parts of the system before spending big $$$'s on an ECU. As mentioned above, check the pedal switches. Also, check the mechanism that pulls the throttle in. On a non-subie car, I had the chain that pulled the throttle disconnect itself.

Jack

I had the same with a 99 impreza, I taped 3 pennies so that they would engage the switch, and presto, cruise worked just fine. I also noticed the hole, that is where a rubber stop pad used to be, I'm sure I could order a new one, but the pennies are holding up just fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would add my self to the list of people that fixed their cruise control by tapeing a penny to the tab on the clutch pedle thats suposed to press down the button when the clutch in realesed. 10 mins of searching...10 mins of tapeing a penny and now my cruse control is fixed for $.01.....just one more reason why I love this board...thanks guys...

• 4 years later...

I've got exactly the same problem in a 98 Impreza too. But I can't see the switch on the clutch. Where exactly is it located? I can see the rubber pad thing mentioned. But nothing that looks like an obvious switch to be depressed with some pennies.

Please help me out, got a 7hr drive coming up this week!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to add my fix for the missing nylon stopper that some previous people had mentioned. I to bought a 98 OBS that had non working cruise control. And after finding this thread I found it to to be that I too was missing the white nylon stopper leaving me with just a hole on the clutch pedal arm. my quick solution instead of taping a penny is to get one of those little plastic trim fasteners. I used one out of a hatch I have its the kind that hold the rear hatch plastic trim on inside the car. I would suggest finding one that is flat on top so it makes even smooth contact with the switch. Took me a minute to install cause it just pushes into the hole in the clutch arm. I thought I would just share how I fixed my cruise control problem so others searching can have a few ideas.

I have this problem too, and I looked at the clutch pedal.. there is a little sensor thing that sticks out like a button and when I let the clutch go, the little sensor goes through a hole where it looks like it shouldn't? I am going to try to tape it when Im not sick and see. ill let you guys know. and from my experience, if the ECU was bad, there would be a lot of other problems going on, no tjust the cruise control. try looking at your pedals, there are little sensor prod things above the pedals, check to see what yours are doing as you push the pedals and let them back in

That is the problem, there should be a little rubber grommet there, I just stuck a small bolt and nut and voila, cruise control worked:)