Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help TURBOING a 2.2 liter outback

Has anyone ever just added a turbo to their 2.2 outback??? I just purchased another and am toying around with the idea of putting it on the sube.

Id like to know of a injector that will fit thats a LITTLE larger than stock.. Does anyone know what thef flow stock?

Is the timing controlled the computer? or is it manual with a light?

Does anyone have anything to add or to look out for when doing?

More details to come soon

Thanks Ryan K

Is the timing controlled the computer? or is it manual with a light?

I have no clue about the other stuff, but I do know that there is no manual timing adjustment on the EJ22. The computer controls the timing according to various maps and with a knock sensor. In theory, this means that if you turboed it, the computer should retard the timing correctly to compensate for the boost pressure.

but of course the most reliable way to turbo it is to do an engine swap.

Either get a parts car that is in good order and swap the ecu + engine, or go the aftermarket route.

You'll be looking at 5-6 psi or less (as a common rule) because of the high compression in that motor. If you wanted to go balls, put some money in the block by putting in EJ22T pistons.

in either case, you'd basically need all the things contained in a turbo kit, so you can see what is in them and either buy what you want from whomever or buy a kit. A kit basically is going to get you bolt in performance and a reliable name. AVO turbos are GOOD turbos. IMO. But you can always get used VF34/VF39 turbos and exhaust parts from wrx/sti owners who are swapping on bigger stuff anyhow.

Either way, it won't be cheap cheap.

does anyone know what compression this engine has?

I will be running low boost and hope to only spend around 500 for the whole thing. I feel I can get away with sligtly bigger injectors and turbo which I have already, and some custom pipes. I will have no IC or anything but cooler plugs and maybe some better wires, and probably rewire the ignition with better wires. I will only run about 5 lbs boost with this turbo.

I dont want to buy a kit because I have always make my own kits and have a turbo L67 with a T 70 in the works also which will put down over 650 whp with a v6 and no n20.

I just want to experiment with this 2.2 a little since I have a turbo just laying there.

Does anyone know what injectors the 2.2 has and maybe some other engins to compare with?

Thanks

Ryan K

does anyone know what compression this engine has?

I will be running low boost and hope to only spend around 500 for the whole thing. I feel I can get away with sligtly bigger injectors and turbo which I have already, and some custom pipes. I will have no IC or anything but cooler plugs and maybe some better wires, and probably rewire the ignition with better wires. I will only run about 5 lbs boost with this turbo.

I dont want to buy a kit because I have always make my own kits and have a turbo L67 with a T 70 in the works also which will put down over 650 whp with a v6 and no n20.

I just want to experiment with this 2.2 a little since I have a turbo just laying there.

Does anyone know what injectors the 2.2 has and maybe some other engins to compare with?

Thanks

Ryan K

some engine specs;

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/techdocs/enginespecs/enginespecs.html

...I feel I can get away with sligtly bigger injectors and turbo which I have already, and some custom pipes. I will have no IC or anything but cooler plugs...

Bigger injectors (higher flow, I assume) and cooler plugs will just get you fouled plugs, misfiring, and poor mileage. The ECU will probably be unable to compensate for the different injectors, especially when in open loop. You should be OK with the standard injectors if not trying to boost the air mass too much. Not running an IC on a high compression boosted engine does not sound like a good idea.

so these cars have 9 : 1 comp that not that high espicially for low boost. I have my supercharged l67 at 8.7:1 and the turbo l67 at 8.4:1. Ive ran 15 lbs of boost on 9.5:1 comp with no problems.

If you think the injectors will work with low boost then maybe I will get some sort of cheap IC setup in there. I have a dsm one laying around somewhere.

What would be recomended for the ignition if not using cooler plugs? I dont understand why you say it will die out with cooler plugs.

Thanks

Ryan K

...What would be recomended for the ignition if not using cooler plugs? I dont understand why you say it will die out with cooler plugs...

The cooler plugs will foul due to being cooler and the excessive fuel that the non-standard injectors would dump on them. Subaru didn't spec different plugs between their NA and turbo EA82s (I don't know about the EJ22s), and there doesn't seem to be a need for colder heat-range plugs in the EA82Ts.

ive been told by many people that if you turbo a 2.2, you dont need engine management, as long as you dont go over 7 psi, i think 5 pounds would be fine for everyday use. true about the oil squirters, the N/A block dont have them. as for colder plugs, i would stay stock unless you see a problem with the stock plugs. your compression ratio is like 9.5:1 isnt it? so you wouldnt want to boost the hell out of it, maybe 10 pounds for a spirited session, but definately get an I/C and change your coolant, try to keep operating temps down. but beyond that, cant help ya.

~Josh~