Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82T XX=XX N/A subframe!!!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dylan86GL10

Dylan86GL10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Tidewater, VA

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:04 PM

I'm installing my EA82T into the carbed poop wagon I bought from FirstGLWagon:
Posted Image

So I'm having trouble lining up the motor mount bolts when I spy:

Posted Image

Campared to:

Posted Image

The turbo subframe clearly is clearenced for the turbo exhaust.

Anyone deal with this without swapping frames? BFH?

Thanks!

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

I've seen it a couple of times, but always with the xmember swap.

BFH could knock the whole damn thing out of whack if applied too vigorously.

#3 manxsta

manxsta

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Adelaide S.A AUSTRALIA

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

it might not be what you want to hear,but the easiest way is to change the crossmember out.....you could scollop the member then weld it up and spend more time doing that then it would take to change..not to mention it being as strong or not when you finish if scolloped....youll feel like crap messing around changing it.(after all your good work so far).but then you,ll feel a whole lot better when its done knowing your car is good to go ,,anywhere and safely...:) you can change it without removing the engine.....cheers

#4 FirstSubaruGLwagon

FirstSubaruGLwagon

YHWH is life

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Wilmington

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:06 PM

Can you use spacers on the motor mounts??

Very nice clear photos , by the way.
I can see you have done alot of work to it.
look forward to seeing it whaen you are finished .

#5 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:16 PM

would lifting it help?

#6 Dylan86GL10

Dylan86GL10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Tidewater, VA

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:31 PM

Can you use spacers on the motor mounts??

Very nice clear photos , by the way.
I can see you have done alot of work to it.
look forward to seeing it whaen you are finished .

Thanks David, I've done quite a bit of work on it. The body was TOO nice compared to my GL10 so its getting most of the goodies. Boy am I going to miss the sunroof though. There's still some bolts and things I need to get (no one stocks M12x1.25 longer than 100mm around here) as the AA 3AT kit doesn't have all the parts for the 5sp tranny mount.

I'm planning on spacing the motor mounts. This will do two things, clear the exhaust and reduce possible engine damage off roading. I've got some ideas on what to use and will mess around with it tomorrow.

#7 Dylan86GL10

Dylan86GL10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Tidewater, VA

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

would lifting it help?

Its got a 4" AA lift on it now and I'm going to "Lift" the engine back towards the body to clear the exhaust.

#8 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,889 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:05 PM

well for starters, the rigdity of it with spacers will suck big time. You'll be more prone to snap motor mounts and bend the pitch stopper, Second, turbo's SUCK for offroad sicne they have no low end torque like NA engines do. Also, swap the crossmember, its really not the difficult and will save you headaches down the road. Trust me, half @$$ing ************ will lead to more trouble and more money then its worth.... just my $.02

#9 PoorManzImpreza

PoorManzImpreza

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • BARBADOS

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:53 PM

swapping the crossmember is very simple I'd highly recommend doing that..

Kaz

#10 Jeepman775

Jeepman775

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:35 AM

Well in mine I just notched the crossmember and am going to weld it later, I haven't yet and it has held up fine. (however mine is an unlifted street car with no lift, so I don't know

#11 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:24 AM

plus it's bad for the transmission mounts and axles due to the odd angle. Minimal perhaps, but I can't tell how far off it is in the pic...

well for starters, the rigdity of it with spacers will suck big time. You'll be more prone to snap motor mounts and bend the pitch stopper, Second, turbo's SUCK for offroad sicne they have no low end torque like NA engines do. Also, swap the crossmember, its really not the difficult and will save you headaches down the road. Trust me, half @$$ing ************ will lead to more trouble and more money then its worth.... just my $.02

#12 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:33 AM

I agree with the guys on this one. swap the x-member or you are just gonna cost yourself time and money.

#13 Dylan86GL10

Dylan86GL10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Tidewater, VA

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:31 AM

Are we getting into the turbos suck for offroading discussion again? I thought this was about motor mounts, but thanks.

#14 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,896 posts
  • WV

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:27 AM

there's different kinds of off roading and different objectives.

if engine/exhaust clearance is your only concern definitely swap the cross members, it's super easy to do. you don't have a turbo cross member do you? it's still in the RX isn't it?

#15 FirstSubaruGLwagon

FirstSubaruGLwagon

YHWH is life

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Wilmington

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:32 AM

Some things to thing about,,, puting blocks under the engine mounts would actualy return the engine to it's proper pitch, because the automatic tranny has smaller lift blocks than the standard,,, also,, it would move the engin back away from the radiator,,,, also ,, i designed the pitch-stoper , to be adjustable within 1" ,,,,, just some things to consider ;)

#16 Dylan86GL10

Dylan86GL10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Tidewater, VA

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:25 PM

I swapped subframes in the end. Been off here for a while trying to catch up with all my other projects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users