Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Too cool man (long)

Here is the situation, my 86 GL-10 Turbo 4WD sedan never seems to warm up. I know many of you turbo owners wish you had this problem. Last Spring, I took this engine out of my wife's wagon, and installed a rebuilt engine into her wagon. This engine ran great in the wagon, the sedan engine was getting old, so I got a short block from CCR and had a set of rebuilt heads, and since we were probably going to keep the wagon longer then the sedan, installed the rebuilt into the wagon. Anyway, back to the sedan engine. I noticed that this engine ran cooler then the one I pulled out, and over the Summer never gave it much thought. In the morning it would warm up to about 165 degrees then drop again, so I figured the thermostat was a 165 degree stat. Even on the hottest day, going up a long hill with the A/C on, it never got over 195 degrees. Now it is getting colder, this morning the temp all the way into work was around 28 degrees, the engine temp never got above 160 degrees, usually around 150 degrees. I had the second fan hooked up to run all the time, but Sunday I reconnected it to the thermoswitch on the radiator, so it will only turn on at a high temperature. Well, the engine acts the same, as if I did nothing. Since I get warm air through the heater, I know that the water is circulating. My guess is that the thermostat is stuck open. So here is my delima, do I get a 165 degree stat to replace the one that is in there, or get a 195 degree Subaru stat, or a 180 degree stat. I'd like the engine to heat up faster in the Winter, but like how cool it runs in the Summer and I don't want to change the thermostat every 6 months.

The napa lists it for a 195 degree. usually people get the 180.

in my automotive books it states that higher temperatures promote clean burning and fuel efficiency.

We put a 160 in the RX. the RX always ran at normal temp before the 160, but making laps in the field, the temp would get uncomfortably warm.

but with the 160, the temp is just a hair below the normal mark. but if left idling or running it hard, the temo will be at the normal range.

the 160 deg will allow it to open sooner, but the motor can still get to the 180 operating temp if the circumstances will allow., but will be allowed to open at a cooler temp.

but thats better than opening at 180 and allowing it to get to 200.

You should base your decision on your driving demands. Do you cruise and take it easy, or romp it and run it hard?

i went with 180 deg thermostats in all my cars. most had 195's in them when i got them. with 195's the temp gauge was in the middle of the gauge, too hot for me.

with 180's the temp gauge never goes above the bottom 1/4 of the gauge, even in the summer when it gets in the 80's.

plus you still have plenty of heat in the winter.

your car will not overheat or run too hot with a 180, AS LONG AS YOUR RADIATOR IS WORKING CORRECTLY. not clogged, etc. [not shouting], just saying the radiator is the deciding factor on overheating in my opinion. just ask edrach.

Single or Double Core Radiator? With a double core, your car will never heat up using the 165.

A properly running cooling system should use the 180 thermostat for daily driving. You should only put in the 165 if you are having problems keeping it cool. Or if you are using it as a Rally Car, or slower driving, it would be prudent to put in the 165.