Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone here done a 4x100 conversion?

Has anyone on the USMB done a 4x100 bolt pattern conversion? They do them in AU, and it is supposed to be easier to line up than 5x100.

I'm curious because there are a bunch of rims out there with the 4x100 pattern and close or matching offsets to ours (42mm).

I'm already aware of the XT6 conversion and the 6-lug. :headbang:

And I ran across this offset calculator too-

http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

These are 14x6 with a 42mm offset. Come in white and silver too.

https://www.theriver.com/ufinish/images/wheels/g-racing/suzu_black.jpg

I don't know about the 5 lug drilling but the 6 is common 139.7mm as opposed to 140. Moving the lugs closer to the center will make the side forces act upon the hub greater and that would increase the chance of breaking. i don't know how reliable the OZ guys have made it but i would reccomend the 6 lug drill route or find a set of peugeot rims, worth the wait they are.

The point I was trying to make was that there are alot of other rim choices with a 4x100. There is always room for more choices, right?

XT6's are getting harder to come by, so if someone was thinking of doing a 5x100 drill-out conversion, they could also have the choice of doing a 4x100. The forum I read said that the 4x100 was easier than the 5x100 to line up and drill.

I think those rims would look sweet on an RX. Only $109 a piece.:headbang:

I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 14" anyway. I'm not planning on lifting it. I just want some nice 14's so I can put a little more tread on the road.:D

Those rims look like the Volk's I was checkin' out. Nice.

I was noticing there were alot of 4x100's with the 42mm offset too. I came across a page with Fiero stats and it said they had rims on them that were like 14x6 with a 42mm offset. I'm not sure what bolt pattern, but I know there are more out there with the right offset. Just think, there could be a huge list of usable rims. 4x100,5x100,6x?, who cares, the more the better I say.

Sorry, I don't know which thread it was, but I believe it was under street modifications- wheels and brakes.

I think one guy said the bolt pattern for mounting on the disc is 4x90, and so 4x100 would work good. I did see another that said the pattern for the disc was 4x100, but I think I would believe the pics on this site first. Looks legit.

http://www.geocities.com/mickasubie/Mickas_Subie.html

I guess those are just stock rims off a Corolla. I realize that's an EA81, so I don't know if it works with an EA82. I might be getting an EA81 in the future though, so either way I'm still curious about it.

I wanna do this too and so I was just waitin for someone to start a thread so I could get some info on this as well. Everyone decieds to lift their soobs but me, I've decided to take it to the ground but I need a nice set of rims to go with it. But like we've noticed, there's a lot more options of rims for a different lug pattern than for our own (go figure) unless you can pull the money out of your *bleep* for them.

Originally posted by SubaRube

Has anyone on the USMB done a 4x100 bolt pattern conversion? They do them in AU, and it is supposed to be easier to line up than 5x100.

I'm curious because there are a bunch of rims out there with the 4x100 pattern and close or matching offsets to ours (42mm).

I'm already aware of the XT6 conversion and the 6-lug. :headbang:

And I ran across this offset calculator too-

http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

These are 14x6 with a 42mm offset. Come in white and silver too.

https://www.theriver.com/ufinish/images/wheels/g-racing/suzu_black.jpg

So there fit right on my wagon?:confused:

Ok.. I found the posts about it in the BYB board.. but there isn't a whole lot of specific info given. as far as I know, no one here has done it.. would be an interesting alternative to the XT6 swap though.. possibly expensive because I am sure it isn't something to be done at home.

With the 6 lug swap, you have a couple of original studs to anchor everything. That helps to make sure everithing is balanced.. on this swap, you would have to make sure tho holes are placed perfectly, or it would wobble like hell.. would still work though

Originally posted by SubaRube

Hey Caleb, do you happen to know the offset of the pugs?

How far do they stick out?

To line it up, could you use a hub off a car with 4x100 as a guide?

I don't know what the offset of the pugs wheels roght off the top of my head. very near stock offset by the looks of it. They don't stick out any further than the stock 13's .

On your other question, I'm not sure about using a 4x100 hub to line everything up.. for doing it at home, that would probably be the way to go.. rear disc hubs are a pain to come by down here, but If can find a pair, perhaps I will experiment with them

I'm not sure what our GL's are , but the Justy is 59.0 and Imprezas are 56.0.

I found it here -

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/fitment.html#BUIC

With the info from that site, you could figure out which rims will fit on your car if you did a lug conversion. Our offset is 42mm, which is pretty common for FWD cars.

It would be nice to make a list of compatible rims, so if you ran across something cheap at the JY, you could snatch it up knowing it would fit.:D

Subarube,

The conversion is not very difficult if you have connections at a machine shop. I have a detailed write up on my home PC that I can e-mail to you.

I currently am running 15 x 5.5 from a '95 Mazda Protege' with 205/75R14 Courser OTD's. These rims were the cheapest 4x100's at my local yards. They have a large offset like the stock Subaru rims.

There is plenty of room for the new studs (I used '95 Civic studs) in the front hubs and rear drums and plenty of metal for strength.

Let me know if you are interested in knowing more.

Hey - I am the one who did most of the posting on the BYB site about doing the conversion. I use a lathe and milling machine to do it so it is accurate to within a thou, this avoids vibrations. I am also concerned with the additional stresses placed on the hub by using a smaller diamter PCD and prefer to use 4x114.3 but 4x100 is easier.

It is completely impossible to drill 5x100 on a EA car hub. I am also not a hug fan of drilling rear drums, contrary to popular belief but cast iron really isn't that strong, drilling it causes small cracks on the breakthrough similar to drilling a piece of melamine, any place a crack forms is a weakness.

I am working on a complete hub replacement without relying on Legacy or XT6 parts that will allow the full range of 5x100 rims and also all the legacy brake rotors. But this is sometime down the track and is going to require cash I don't have at the moment. Anyway once I have it I will let the Subaru world know all about it!!

If you have any questions about this please email me. I don't visit the USMB too often.

I am also not a hug fan of drilling rear drums, contrary to popular belief but cast iron really isn't that strong, drilling it causes small cracks on the breakthrough similar to drilling a piece of melamine, any place a crack forms is a weakness.

So using a rear disc hub is better? Less of a stress problem?