Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My first subaru!

alright i finally got pics. this is my very first subaru and the reason i joined this forum. its an '84 GL Wagon 4sd D/R. I got it about 6 weeks ago and it was bone stock. at first i did the work necessary to just get it running well (new tires, oil change, oil filter, fuel filters, and brakes), but once that was done i started to upgrade; accel superstock ing coil, accel 8mm plug wires, JVC headunit and speakers w/sub and amp, paint work on wheels and splash guards, did the raise on the stock suspension, it was sitting pretty low when i got it. fixed fog lights, added 6 55w spots, aux batt w/gauge, removed "stove pipe" from exhaust along with valve. removed carbon canister, plugged vac hoses for same system. next in line will be an ozified lift and new 14" rims for the 225/70r/14 Bridgestone duelers that i got from my friend new (4) for only $150. a fixed exhaust system, my muffler just rusted and broke off and lastly, remove AC system and finally plug the EGR system too.

n10512430_30786743_6824.jpg

n10512430_30786744_7203.jpg

n10512430_30786745_7532.jpg

n10512430_30786746_7862.jpg

n10512430_30786747_8213.jpg

n10512430_30786748_8610.jpg

n10512430_30786749_8936.jpg

n10512430_30786750_9256.jpg

n10512430_30786751_9581.jpg

n10512430_30786752_9920.jpg

n10512430_30786753_315.jpg

n10512430_30786754_684.jpg

n10512430_30786755_1057.jpg

Why are you removing the carbon can, and the EGR? There's little point to removing either, unless you like smelling gasoline, and making more work for yourself.

Keep the AC compressor - that style will fit with the lift, and you can use it as an on-board air compressor.

Those accell coils are junk BTW - very high failure rate after they switched their production to Mexico. Carry your original as a spare, or better yet just put it back in. It will probably never die.

GD

Very nice subaru! Congratulations. These are getting harder and harder to find in that condition on the east coast.

In regards to the Coil, didn't somone on this board say that Napa makes one that is the same as the old Accel when it was made in the USA and it is still good; or something like that? Somebody set me straight if I am getting this wrong.

Thanks.

-Jack

the original coil was already dying, it wasnt firing all the time, and the AC compressor's clutch doesnt engage anymore. im still tinkering with it but if i cant fix it, its gone.

Clutch can be replaced, or you can find a whole compressor pretty easily. It's the brackets, tensioners and such that are difficult to find - you have the "dealer" installed AC system, it's the only one that fits with a body lift, and it would be a shame to see yet another one go to waste.

GD

Congrats on the subie.... when you raised the suspension you did have it alligned right? if not... that would be a good idea! good lookin wagon though!

Can you align it? Its the camber that gets out of wack...

But nonetheless, nice looking roo ya got there bud, can't wait to see it lifted nd some bigger meats on it. Keep us updated with pics and all..

cool i'll have to take the clutch off and try to rebuild it then.

oh yeah heres the best part.....THE CAR WAS FREE!!!!!

a friend gave it to me, he needed to create some room in his collection, he has way to many cars, mostly mercs. but yeah it only had 101,600 miles on it, and had never been driven hard, it belonged to his mother who drove it only a couple miles a day to and from a train station. only major damage is the dent in the drivers door; from something falling on it while it was in a garage.

but i have put about $700 into it since i got it.

hey Goobaroo

where is Haddonfield? i just bought a brat in Voorhees NJ, and i currently have a hatch (pics below) if you are not too far from Newburgh NY, lets meet sometime for some offroading or something. i`m always up for some bsing about soobs.

soooob001.jpg

soooob005.jpg

i live right outside Philadelphia, only 15 min, i have no prob driving anywhere to meet up with other soob owners, im very intrested in theses cars now and seeing others would be great. im planning on going along for the pine barrens run posted in the meet greet forum as well. awesome hatch, love the rims!

cool i'll have to take the clutch off and try to rebuild it then.

oh yeah heres the best part.....THE CAR WAS FREE!!!!!

a friend gave it to me, he needed to create some room in his collection, he has way to many cars, mostly mercs. but yeah it only had 101,600 miles on it, and had never been driven hard, it belonged to his mother who drove it only a couple miles a day to and from a train station. only major damage is the dent in the drivers door; from something falling on it while it was in a garage.

but i have put about $700 into it since i got it.

ONLY 101k???? that babys just gettin broken in!

Clutch can be replaced, or you can find a whole compressor pretty easily. It's the brackets, tensioners and such that are difficult to find - you have the "dealer" installed AC system, it's the only one that fits with a body lift, and it would be a shame to see yet another one go to waste.

GD

well the compressor is shot, i wired the clutch right to the batt and it engaged, but wouldnt turn, i even tried to turn it with a wrench but it wouldnt budge, so im going to get it discharged and if anyone wants that old compressor when i remove it (to see if they can fix it), its all yours.