Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear window glass?EA82

How hard is it to A: pull the rear window glass from a EA82 wagon(without breaking it)

and B how hard is it to install it yourself or does it need to be professionaly installed?

The glass is the window in the "lift gate".I can find a whole hatch assemby for $80 bucks with glass.Or I can find a glass piece and have it installed for $80.Or I can run up to pull and save in spokane and grab one for about $28 then install it myself.

Probably as difficult as removing a windshield without breaking it. Not easy. You need a thin wire saw - I have picked up on the board in another thread somewhere.

If I found a hatch in as good or better shape, same color, I probably would swap hatches.

Glueing the "new" window in isn't too big a deal - I watched about 3 windshield installs over the years. I never did one myself due to not having a spare windshield. Broke a good one (maybe a year old) trying to save it from a doner.

if you have a donor for the glass the "guys in the little red trucks" will do it for ya - had them pull the front glass from one of our parts cars, had it installed in my car - pricing may vary by location, but was $50 out, $50 in + supplies - about another 20 bucks or so.

The newer models (Loyales) use a pop-out rubber seal. These are much easier to remove/install than the older (GL's), which are held in place with glass sealant.

I would start looking for the newer setup at a junkyard, and if you don't feel confident about doing it yourself, have it done professionally. It will still be less expensive than setting the glass the old-fashioned way.

good luck, John

The trick to geting out a glued in windshield (front or rear) is to use 90lb fishing wire. Make a small cut with a very sharp knife in the glue and thread the wire through to the opposite side. Wrap the ends around a couple of stout dowels and pull the wire around the windshield. Do it on a warm day and you can have a front out in 20 min and a back out in 15. I've experimented with several types of wire and the fishing wire is braided and less likely to break. You don't have to saw back and forth, just pull. If the wire breaks, just thread in another piece and continue. I've done three fronts and two backs this way now. Glueing the new one in is easy, just make sure you scrape off all of the old gasket material and then glue in the new one. The job you are looking to do is very doable as a novice. I think you should give it a try and expand your horizons.

A lot of people have been successful taking window glass out. Personally, I've not had much luck :-\. And believe me, I've had lots-o-practice...

If you have access to a JY that won't charge you for "failed attempts", by all means - give it a shot. MD describes the procedure very accurately. Heat (weather natural or artificial) will help soften the brittle adhesive.

But if you gotta get it right the first time, have it taken out by a pro. Money well spent, as far as I'm concerned...

good luck, John

It isn't that hard. Removing the donor glass is the hard part. Installing the new glass is easy, just get a roll of butyl-acetate rubber. Scrape away most of the old sealant(no need to get it all) then lay in the Acetate roll, and set the new window. I think that style is easier than trying to install the rubber gasket type.