Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just read an article on the 2008 Impreza this morning.

I though it was a Chevrolet!

I had to look at the emblem several times...:eek:

I didn't look like a Subie to me!

The Hatchback part is fine by me but it's the grill that

I had a hard time with grill.:mad:

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring this back after so long but I just got an up-close look at the 08s.

Love the spec B Legacy, just a classy sporty looking car

The Imprezas were not as hidious as I thought they would be from the pictures, but as was already stated they look like alot of other cars on the road

I didn't care at all for the hatch back thing, just to much junk in the trunk, like a mini Tribeca (didn't like that at all)

I did like the sport grill and hood scoop on the WRX, however, the one they had was a Hatch back (see above).

All in all I'm glad I have an 06 WRX with just over 7k on it, it will have to last for a very long time to come :rolleyes: .

Just my .02, Tim

Well, I'm gonna chime in and state that this is the First Subaru "hatch back" I'd own since the 80's hatch. I'm a wagon/hatch person, and with my gen2 Legacy wagon on it's way out, and me not really caring for the automatic in my 05 Legacy sedan as I hoped I would, a used '08 impreza hatch may be in my future. The dual wishbone rear suspension setup makes for some serious room in the hatch area. The lines are now nice and flowing, like the car was designed from the ground up as a hatch/wagon, not like all the previous Impreza wagons. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the framed windows. For thos that haven't seen it in person, no more frameless windows on the doors. Don't forget that the Impreza's design is heavily influenced by Rally. For whatever reason the Hatch formula has been working for Ford and Puegot, so after some recent lack luster years, Subaru is following suit. I also think the framed door windows helps in the torional regidity of the car which translates to better cornering from less chassis flex.

The sedan on the other hand is pure crap in my opinion. It looks like a Saturn or a Kia, and north america is the only market that gets a sedan.

I'll be very curious to see what the STi looks like in this version, and for those that don't know it will be in the hatch body.

Keith

Automotive design is a long process. The final production sketches for the '08 Impreza were finished probably 4 years ago. Guess what was the big seller then? The Mazda Protege 5.

Designers are younger now than ever before, thus they haven't been given time to develop thier own style. That means they're dependent on outside influences.

Just my 2cents

Did anyone notice, new Subaru designs since and including the Tribeca and new Impreza have FRAMED windows on the doors?

I've owned 7 Subaru's since 1978, All were frameless windows. According to their site, it was done for Safety and Security reasons.

Rumor is also, 2009 Forester is 6" taller and almost the size and shape of the Tribeca. No longer based on the Impreza. Almost 1000 lbs heavier than the current Forester which may not make it in the European markets ( ie the rumored Diesel option getting less MPG than the current 2.5L )

Oh well, I always liked my different looking Subaru's. Guess that's going by the wayside.

I've owned 7 Subaru's since 1978, All were frameless windows. According to their site, it was done for Safety and Security reasons.

I think they also did it for noise issues. I've heard they get a lot of customer complaints once the cars get a few years old.

I haven't heard those things about the Forester, but I was told that we should expect a "brighton" type model for the new impreza. :rolleyes: Something closer to the mid 90's sticker price of $14k-$15K for a base model.