Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ford Tempo Springs do work

Uberoo

There is a rumor that ford tempo springs would lift an ea82 front end about 1.5" and give a better ride.This is completly false.uncompressed the springs are about 2.5" longer than the stock springs.Plus they have twice as many coils that are slightly thicker than stock springs.Besides,you would have NO downtravel at all,none.They possibly could work if you had an Ej22 plus 100lbs of front bumper.They could be cut to fit but I think I will just return them to get adjustable struts and RX springs.

edit:Im gonna try cutting one coil off and see if that would make a differece

There is a rumor that ford tempo springs would lift an ea82 front end about 1.5" and give a better ride.This is completly false.uncompressed the springs are about 2.5" longer than the stock springs.Plus they have twice as many coils that are slightly thicker than stock springs.Besides,you would have NO downtravel at all,none.They possibly could work if you had an Ej22 plus 100lbs of front bumper.They could be cut to fit but I think I will just return them to get adjustable struts and RX springs.

edit:Im gonna try cutting one coil off and see if that would make a differece

I think Loyale 2.7 used them. Makes sense for a six cyl. And have you seen the fiberglass he's added to his bumper? it probably is almost 100 lbs.

After I cut a coil off the tempo springs they lifted my EJ swaped wagon atleast an inch.They are alot firmer.Just sitting it takes almost as much effort to push the front down as the back with accord springs.In fact they are stiff enough I dont believe a bumper and a winch would cause them to go down much.So if your EA82 is front heavy try a set of tempo front springs with a coil cut off(I used a chop saw)

Now I just have to ovel out the strut mount holes to fix my camber...

I checked the engine weight of a tempo verse the 2.2L subaru.it seem the tempo engine can be 307lbs to 419 lbs.So if thats the case you have 39-148lbs to play with as far as adding more weight to to the front end.most likley 148 because 307 is probally stripped...

as of yet I still haven driven this thing yet.Although from stock height you only have 1.5" of downtravel anyway...err actually if I jack the front of my car up I think I can go up about an inch and a half then tires lift off the ground...But what is a longer strut that bolts in place?

they will easily hold the weight of EJ22,beefy bumper and a winch...(pure speculation of course but judging by how firm they are...)

ok I am not gonna post in this thread anymore till I actually have a chance to drive my wagon around...shooting for wedneday...

drove it yesterday.it is a bit more jarring than normal.if you drive on a rough road the springs make the harshness go away.they could stand to be a little bit softer.on other hand there is like no body roll through the corners and thats with the 2" of lift.

drove it yesterday.it is a bit more jarring than normal.if you drive on a rough road the springs make the harshness go away.they could stand to be a little bit softer.on other hand there is like no body roll through the corners and thats with the 2" of lift.

so do you like it better than stock? how is this gonna improve offroad wise? this is just up front right?

Not sure about offroad yet.speed bumps are hell.it limits travel in the front but the front didn't have much travel stock...

As for the ride I like it.the wagon doesnt roll through the corners.it totally stable at freeway speeds.it drives slightly different but then that may be because it is RWD for the time being(one of the original(old high miles) CV's exploded)

how much difference in height are the new springs. i spaced my front crossmember about 5/8"

the front end feels tight but when i roll into a corner i can feel the sudpension go negative camber and take the steering wheel with it a little.

really if the front was stiffer altogether i think it would corner better.

they lifted the front end about 1.5" after a complete coil is cut off.

now I have a slightly weird problem.one spring still allows the suspension to "bounce"-ie some give.The other side is totally stiff.I wonder if I installed that stiff one wrong or something.The ride is comparable to a heavy duty 80's dodge truck.a little jarring but not to bad.plus no body roll though the corners...Now I just need to fix my positive camber...Where did I put that die grinder?:banana: