Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Every one Read Ive got to get something off my chest.

I'd agree with the term "cult" being used to describe the folks of the USMB. Cults worship a certain item and shun all others, shun outsiders. Ask most of the folks in the off road section. They all tend to get hissy and stuff if a non-Subaru shows up there.

I've owned some 30 Subarus. I've lost count. I love the AWD. If Subaru didn't make AWD/4WD, I'd drive a honda or a toyota.

(I do have a Toyota for wheeling, it'll chew up the average highly modded, big tire wearing, lifted Soob and spit it out. And it's stock except for 33s and a 3 inch spring lift. Cost about as much to build a Soob.)

But I'll tell ya something I've aquired here at the USMB besides knowing terms like "clocked", "4X140", "topper", and "pitch stopper".

I have a place to stay in:

All over WA State

Oregon: Portland, Medford, Eugene

CA: Sacremento, San Diego, SF more

Idaho

Montana

Iowa

Nevada

Texas

Minnesota (I'm sure Numbchux'd put me up if I needed it :) )

Connecticut

Indiana (you still there Fox?)

Utah

Colorado

South Dakota

And maybe a few other States in a pinch.

I've met some 120+ USMB folks in person, done business with half of them, and broke bread with most of them. I've had maybe 15 different members stay at my house, probably 50 have been there at one time or another. I have 10 or more of their numbers in my celly on speed dial.

I'll be 40 next year. I've owned 2 Fords, 1 Chevy. No Dodges.

Zapa, add Fresno to the list! I've got a spare room and a driveway full of Subarus!

I think Subies have such a strong following because they are so well designed and functional. I have been playing bass guitar in various bands for 20 plus years, and I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the capabilities of a Subaru, even one that is fully loaded with bass / guitar / PA, and lighting equipment. I have had periods in my life where I didn't have a Subie at my disposal (yes, those were terrible times inded), and I can say from those experiences that my other cars, though capable vehicles all, were not happy being used as a gig-mobile. My 94 Toyota pick-up felt a little unstable at highway speeds. In my current Soob, Murphy, the $500 87 Turbo-wagon, it's sometimes loaded to the gills, and the car seems to say "So what, this is all you got?". I actually have FUN driving to gigs in the mountains during snow storms, and can't wait for this winters gigs as I have swapped the crappy 3 speed auto tranny with a FT4WD (Full Time 4 Wheel Drive) 5 Speed Manual with a locking differential. Look out winter, here I come!!! (yes I'll contain my excitement and drive responsibly... but just barely:headbang:).

I have owned many cars, and liked each for different reasons. My first, in 1985, was a little faded blue '75 Honda Civic. That car was a blast to drive, so toss-able, but couldn't hold much in the back (though God knows I stuffed the thing as much as possible). Then there was the '79 Accord. A bit less toss-able, but comfy to drive. Then I got my first Subaru, a white 1980 wagon, complete with rusty doors and a third eye (fog light hidden under the Subaru logo on the grill). Was short on power, but BOY, that suspension could handle anything you threw at it (probably the most rugged I've ever had). I've had a 2 door '79 Datsun 810 (rare find) that had lot's of power but a loose back end. Had a few trucks. Sure they could haul stuff, but man were they boring. Murphy has all the attributes I loved in my previous cars, with none of the downsides.

Each of us has different reasons for loving these cars, and belonging to the "Cult of Subaru" (we sacrifice Honda's at the alter). To sum up, I guess my reason for loving these cars, especially the 2'nd generation GL's, is that I can own one cheap car that is practical, is easy to fiddle with, can go anywhere and can provide such a fun driving experience.

Thought these were a cult car??

Try:

hachiroku.net

club4ag.com

hachi-roku.com

aeu86.org

Thought a mid 80s corolla could fetch $12,000 with wheels and paint?

Easily. I fear driving mine despite it not being the "Initial D" car. Coupes rock, but hatches get the big moneys.

p.s. No, I didn't read any more than the first 4 sentences. :clap:

edit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_D

It's freaky how obsessed ppl get.

I used to buy "or be given" broken down foreign cars only to repair the problem then resale them at a profit. Never kept any.

Then I bought my first subaru an 86 GL. I replaced the haed gaskets and then when I test drove it, I had so much fun that I decided to keep it awhile.

I have had a running subaru every since, Never paid more than $500, An though I still own two domestic vehicles, (79 GMC Sierra, 68 GTO) I will always have a Subaru for my daily driver! My next car buy will be a 90 something legacy, with ej22 instead of ea82, (Yeah thinking of stepping up!)But still a Subaru!

I've owned Plymouths, Dodges, Fords, etc., but Subaru is the only car that came with friends:clap:

Great comment and so true, you know your on a good thing when people walk up to you in the street and comment on your 20 year old beast.

l too have owned over 30 vehicles, 6 of them Subaru's, all ea-81's, reliability and oil leaks are guaranteed, both of which are very easy to live with.

As far as problems go, there is a wealth of knowledge and willing helpers here primed and ready to help.

Formally known as redskin.

• 5 months later...

If you dont think this is a cult, fine.

Its at a minimum a Subaru church and you all are a bunch of flanders. When its "broken" or unavailable I get phone calls, emails, and all kinds of hilarious messages/IM's from you all wondering when your cocaine dealer will be available again so you can get your fix. Ironically most of you browse with no need to "fix" anything or maybe you need to but are too busy reading USMB.

I would have about 2/3rds less friends if it wasnt for this site. Friends who want something alot of the time but friends all the same. :)

That video needs a few old hatchbacks and brats pulling up too. :)

Thanks to all that have crashed on my couch over the years. Pleasure meeting all of you and always fun. PM me if you are passing thru Denver.

when i was 13 14 15. all i wanted was a toyota mr2turbo. my dad aways said "you should get brat. i loved my brat" i said the same thing why??? "i had so much fun in mine and you can put your bike in the back" he always said that the brat was the most fun 4 wheeling because it was such a challenge and you could go everywhere as long as you could pick good lines. i always loved technical driving and riding. anyway i found a 79 brat with the seats. loved it!!! my friends and i had so much fun in it. always somthin crazy. and alway had a smile on our faces laughing about bombing through snow banks or anything really. i moved and had to sell it. next car was a 98 2door 2.2l. i put studed snow tires on that and took it everywere. people craped there pants. so i dragged a little. gave that to my sister she still has it. got an 85 turbo rx. same thing and now im back in a 86brat. i just joined this website but i freekn love it. i was always to odd ball with the subaru. especialy before the wrxs came out. now i think iv found my home. i have no idea what draws us to them but there is love there. i even caught my soon to be wife looking at an old wagon. she said DAMNIT now you have me doin it.

awesome thread!!! you guys all rock

its like a swiss army knife for the road

stock has just enough clearance and protection to get you where you want on and offroad

They have sports cars with 2 seats and four doors with five seats

parts are pretty much interchangeable in all

I like 60s cars and the subaru turned around and bit me

all hell subaru and the boxer sound...................dual exhaust mkes it sound like a v8

I’m new on the board and a new Subaru owner. 1986 GL Sedan. No mechanical background, but have decide to learn through this forum and the “How to Keep your Subie Alive” book.

Kind of fell into it…actually thought Subaru’s were from Sweden (SAAB?). Needed a vehicle to drive during winter instead of my ’94 Nissan mini truck. Don’t have a lot of money. Father-in-law knew of one from an elderly neighbor that couldn’t drive anymore. Picked it up for $200. Now, would like to pick up a few more. I live in N. Indiana, kind of a waste land for Subaru. Five listed on Craiglist for my area. Checked Denver the other day, over 700 listings.

Very encouraged from this thread, have asked a few questions and got some great answers. What to change the belts and some other work….when the temps get above single digits.

So for now, just reading and learning.

If you dont think this is a cult, fine.

Its at a minimum a Subaru church and you all are a bunch of flanders. When its "broken" or unavailable I get phone calls, emails, and all kinds of hilarious messages/IM's from you all wondering when your cocaine dealer will be available again so you can get your fix. Ironically most of you browse with no need to "fix" anything or maybe you need to but are too busy reading USMB.

I would have about 2/3rds less friends if it wasnt for this site. Friends who want something alot of the time but friends all the same. :)

That video needs a few old hatchbacks and brats pulling up too. :)

Thanks to all that have crashed on my couch over the years. Pleasure meeting all of you and always fun. PM me if you are passing thru Denver.

Way to "Roger" a thread, chief. :clap:

Got rid of my brand new scion xb, an ok car but no fun! All I did was make payments. Then my wife left me. But I found a new love!, an 86 GL Wagon 3AT. I go to this site everyday and never post. My first post Yes!

My wagon stuck in 4wd did a search fixed it!, Couldn't pass emissions, did a search, use alcohol it works. My next project is a D/R trans swap then a lift with Pugs. After that SPFI conversion, It never ends. This is my favorite site of all time and am looking forward to becoming a true subie addict. I just wanna thank all of you for the helpful info thats on this site. Truly amazing!:clap:

This thread is like the Energizer Bunny.......it just keeps going & going & going & going.....and it should.......for all us Soob owners have constant new tales to tell.

Last Friday, my '86 wagon developed a shrill sqeal under the hood. I drove the 30 miles home & the noise got no worse. Called USMB member MJDC, who diagnosed it as a frozen tesioner/idler on the driver's side timing belt. He came over at 7PM this evening, after a full day at the office, & helped me install a spare........someone said it earlier in this thread.....Suby is the only car that comes with friends. And these are not 'fair weather' friends..it was right at freezing as this repair got underway. An hour later, the engine purred.

I've read all the inputs to this thread & I don't know if we're a cult, the first church of Subaru, a 12 steps to Suby success program, or what....but I like it,...I like it,.....I like it.

Those who post answers to questions, go out of their way to help, provide information, parts, ideas for improvement, set aside their own agendas for the larger agenda of helping keep another old Soob out of the recycle yard & on the road........that's us........the great strength of the USMB!!!

Been working on engines for 40 years & still dumb as a box of rocks

-ScottG

My cars in my almost 50 years of driving:

a '55 Chevy in the 1960s

a '61 Chevy V6, column shift station wagon in the very early1970s

a '70 Pontiac automatic Grand Prix 400hp 4-barrel in the later 1970s

a brand new Mercury Capri RS 4-spd V6 in 1979

I'd still have the Capri (dear god, I loved that car) if I hadn't had to trade it in to get the Subaru. The Capri just would not handle those snowy, icy hills in Colorado with the majority of its weight under the hood

a brand new 1986 4WD 5-spd Subaru GL wagon, to the present

(heaven would have been if I was able to afford to keep the Capri and buy the Subaru too)

I haven't found a need to have any other vehicle besides the Subaru - it does everything I need it to. Not to mention the great insurance rate I get for a car that old and a driver this old. And then there's the sweet bit about plates in WA being a flat $30 annually.

Subarule