Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 webber - trouble breathing.....anyone else had this issue?

My 86 ea82 with a webber is having issues at wide open throttle. It boggs down like it is not getting enough fuel. Checked the fuel pressure, adjusted the carb, timing, ect with out any results. Could not figure it out. For an air filter it has a aftermarket k&n type cone filter. Out of desperation I removed the filter and ran it.....:banana: PRESTO!:banana: Here is my question: Is this normal?:confused: I cant believe this filter wont handle the airflow and it does not appear clogged at all. When I bought the car it had a snorkel on it and no filter which would explain why it drove home fine. Just wondering if anyone else with webbers have had this issue.

Thanks,

~G

Howdy G

my Brat has the Weber conversion

I fabbed this to hold the factory air cleaner.

Figured the Suby engineers knew how much

surface the filter needed.

I have no problems at WOT

as long as my fuel filters are clean.

Hope this helps alittle?

weberbrat.jpg

Great job with filter housing, Skip. I haven't had any issue with my weberized Brat related to air intake, but would love to eliminate the K&N filter.

On a related issue to pyro926: There are two K&N filter housings, the stock and the low profile. I have the low profile version on my Brat since the stock version interferes with the hood. I would expect to see reduced airflow with the low profile version.

I guess some pictures would help. My car used to have a snorkel on it.

There was no filter and the black tube coming from the carb was just poked

through a hole in the fender. All I did was duct tape a cone filter to the end of

it. I took it off yesterday and washed it. No change. The filter seems large

enough. I don't know were to go from here....

filter1.jpg

On the way home i removed the filter. Still bogged down. (the hood does hit the hose but not enough to crush it.) I removed the hose....only bogged down a tiny bit. Hard to even notice. But better for sure. So....do i change the jets? Would a mixed up set of jets cause this? Still not sure where to go with this.

Thanks for the help so far.

Curious - was it damp and cold when this bogging happened? If so you may have ice forming in the carb (it doesn't have to be below freezing for this to happen) - I've had it happen on webered VW's in the past. That column of air moving at high speed can really get cold - if that's the case running a pre-heater hose to your intake hose MIGHT help -

I see 2 things that are probably affecting it...

1. the ribbing in the tube is probably causing a bit too much turbulence.

2. the rectangular box fitted to the carb has "dead areas" that would cause some odd air flows.

I had a similar airflow issue with a snorkle set-up on mine, and while mine had a rounded housing to smooth the airflow, it wasn't going into the carb very well ether because of the direction of the hose inlet in relation to the mouth of the carb.

take the black box off too, and test it....

if it's running fine then, I'd go to a stock weber tall style filter, or rig up a stock soob one like Skip....

or you can get a PiperCross filter and adapter... I like mine....

http://pipercross.net/competition_carb_px400.asp

I Agree with all the Airflow Ideas, but Also I have another Idea that Might Help: Increase a Li`l bit your Engine`s Timing Degrees. Let me Explain:

As Part of my Weber Conversion (on my White EA82, 1985 Wagon) I Added a new SuperStock Coil, a Single Vacuum Port Advance on the Distribuitor, and Closed almost any Vacuum on the Engine, Except for the A/C ... and I Noticed that the Engine Performs Better with a More Advanced Timing, Really.

It Runs Great at 25º ... twenty five Degrees gives Better Performance in my Case.

So, I Suggest not Only to Correct the Airflow, Try with a More Advanced Timing... Worth Try!

Good Luck! :burnout:

I Agree with all the Airflow Ideas, but Also I have another Idea that Might Help: Increase a Li`l bit your Engine`s Timing Degrees. Let me Explain:

As Part of my Weber Conversion (on my White EA82, 1985 Wagon) I Added a new SuperStock Coil, a Single Vacuum Port Advance on the Distribuitor, and Closed almost any Vacuum on the Engine, Except for the A/C ... and I Noticed that the Engine Performs Better with a More Advanced Timing, Really.

It Runs Great at 25º ... twenty five Degrees gives Better Performance in my Case.

So, I Suggest not Only to Correct the Airflow, Try with a More Advanced Timing... Worth Try!

Good Luck! :burnout:

what octane are you running to be able to maintain that much advance?

what octane are you running to be able to maintain that much advance?

I Run it with Super or with Regular Fuels, the only two things I`ve Noticed are this, First: With Super, there are absolutely no noise on valves, even during Hard or Violent Acceleration, except just a Li`l bit when I Accelerate Hard it while it Runs under 1100 Rpm`s, and the Soft Noise only come for less than a Second and Only with a Fully down Gas Pedal, under Load Conditions... as Rpm`s Increase over 1200 it Goes, and That Happens Very Quick! :burnout:

With Regular Fuels, the noise is More Noticeable and last a Li`l Longer...

Second: My EA82 Performs almost Equal with Regular or Super Fuels, but it "Swallows" More Fuel to do the same Job, if it is Regular... Really.

In Honduras, Fuel Octanes are Poor, Less than other International Standards I Think, `cos While Gas Stations` Claims 92 Octanes as Peak for Super, and 86 for Regular; independent Laboratories have encountered only around 89 Octanes on Super and around 82 on Regular... :-\ ...and the Worse is that those Cyphers aren`t Always the Same... :(

I want to Tell that I`ve Reached to the 25º as the Right Timing on my EA82, by doing "Test & Error" experimentation, Runnin` it in Different Load Conditions & Tracks while Movin` Disty Timin` untill Reaches More Power plus More Tranquil Engine at Idle, and I Also Gained Faster Acceleration & a Very Peaceful Idle, and it Starts inmediately with the Key... Always! ...and have been like that since the Weber Swap. :headbang:

JesZeK-SubaruEA82AnimatedEngine.gif

Thinkin` in the "Weber" Factor: it Increases the Engine`s Quantity of Fuel / Air Mixture Breath, That`s why I Used the other Parts (SuperStock Coil, Single Vacuum Port Advance on Disty ... ) in order to Help the Engine to Handle that increased Breath Power.

I Hope that Explanation can Help... I Suggest you to Try that on Weberized Subies, worth Try.

Good Luck!

So, do you change the timing, then adjust the carb, or vice versa? I did notice when i got it the timing was a little advanced, but I just set it where the book told me to (8 deg.) and that's when i noticed the lack of *umph* :-\

I'll try it.

Well... Give us Feedback! :burnout:

Still not impressed....played with the timing, helped a little. Spark plugs are VERY black and smell like gas.

sparkplug.jpg

I think i stumbled upon a bigger problem though......(see thread:http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85403) regarding the messed up timing. Might be 180 off, but i know JACK S*** about these cars. (that's changing slowly:clap: ) Still wondering if I can pull the distributer and re-align it.......not sure. I'll have to check the book. Thanks for the interest and any suggestions. Also, I'm getting around 11-13 mpg (best I can figure it). what should I be getting w/ EA82, Webber, oversize tires?

Thanks....

~G