Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

FIXED!! Trany delayed forward engagement

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#326 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 4,074 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:06 PM

!:::::! Automatic Transmission drain plug has a crush gasket (one time use) as opposed to a rubber re-useable one, so get a new crush gasket when you are buying your new AT Filter !:::::!

Howdy folks, thanks to USMB! Got me a 99 with 181,000. Same problem, did what rooster said, worked great. A little info for the guys doing it now: Trans-X was at my local Autozone ($10.99/quart). Small town guys might have to order Amsoil off of the net, depending, I live in a fairly small town, only one mechanic shop had Amsoil products for sale at $12.95/quart (cheaper than a new tranny). O Reileys, Napa, and Autozone all do not carry it here (did not check Carquest, forgot they existed to be honest). There are a couple types of the Amsoil ATF, I went with the "Signature". So you can't drain all of the ATF out (which is stated in this forum many times, just saving some searching) I pulled the plug and got 3.5 quarts out (I measured), then when I took the filter off an additional 1.5 quarts came out and was still coming out a little when I put the new filter on. So I ended up with 5 quarts total being drained out. After putting new filter on and putting plug back in with new crush gasket, I put 4 quarts of Amsoil ATF Signature and one quart Trans-X in. (Trans X says 1:10 ratio, capacity according to manual is 9.8 Quarts, so putting the whole quart of Trans-X in is fine. I ended up putting another half a quart of Amsoil in (I was just a little low before starting the process). Don't overfill, check when hot.  :D No more delay! Boom!

ColoSubez

Regarding "FIXED,"
Trans-X continues to work well for me after many years now. No need to
seek out Amsoil ATF. Sure their ATF is very good, but using Wal-Mart
with Trans-X works just fine. I use the smaller pint size bottle of
Trans-X, don't recommend adding all the contents of a quart size
container. I have found that Trans-X works for about a year, then the
tranny delay slowly reappears. Just reapply Trans-X, and the problem is
fixed for another year.

Thanks for the tip on using the crush gasket. Good to know.

Larry (Rooster2)

#327 Myrtle2000

Myrtle2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • High Point, NC

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

So, just keeping this topic alive. I found this thread while searching for additional information on my 2000 Forester transmission issues. This pretty much detailed my issues to a "T". I have a 2000 Forester with 72K miles on it. I bought it 1.5 years ago and it only had 48K on it (little old lady owned it). In the past 6 months, it has become more symptomatic. Monday evening, she went to the dealer service center. Today, they called me to say that she needed a new transmission, to the tune of 4100.

Impressive as it sounds, I pointed the Service Manager to this thread. He read it and agreed that is was worth a shot. A couple of hundred dollars as opposed to 4100. I will get her back tonight and hopefully this will help her out.

Glad I found this thread, and even more so that the Service Manager didn't rule it out...... Hope to come back with good news like the rest of you folks.

Chris

#328 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 4,074 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

Chris,

I originated this thread 6 years ago. If you try the Trans-X, it is important to fill and drain the transmission fluid three time, with short drives between drain and fills to mix the new and old tranny fluid. This is necessary because only about half of the tranny fluid can be drained at one time. The other half remains in the torque converter, and can't be drained.  All the draining and refilling does a pretty good job of cleaning out the old transmission fluid. Add the Trans-X upon the last transmission fill.

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the automatic transmission, so this is an easy do it yourself job. Cost of three large gallon jugs of tranny fluid at Wal Mart is about $50, so you can save yourself some money, as opposed to spending a couple of hundred bucks.

Yes, $4100 will get you a new tranny, if it comes to that. However, Subaru transmissions are well built, and generally don't break, so the repeated advise I have read on this forum, is to buy a used tranny from a wrecking yard for a few hundred bucks. It will come with a guarantee, and most likely come from a car that was involved in a wreck. Since the car was driven at the time of the accident, it is highly likely that the transmission was operating properly. Have a shop install the unit, and that will cost far less then $4100. IMO, it is not prudent to invest $4100 in a 15 year old car.

#329 lstevens76

lstevens76

Subaru Nut

• Bronze Subscribers
  • 617 posts
  • Boise, ID

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

I don't question the investment itself personally. Once you do a repair like that you know it's good and that's something you can't get by replacing the vehicle with another used one.

I do question that totalk price though. I believe that transmission could be rebuilt for a lot less with aa good warranty.

That being said LKQ is national and if there is one close you can get a goof used transmission with an extended warranty including labor

#330 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:30 PM

No need to even look for replacement parts. Trans X fixes this issue. 72k is extremely unlikely that anything has gone "wrong" with the trans. It's the typical weakening of the seal that trans X seals up.

One of the rare times that a fix in a bottle is the actual solution.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users