Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installing new Air Filter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gregg

Gregg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Silver Spring, MD

Posted 08 January 2004 - 11:17 PM

Question:

My 86 XT-GL uses a vane style MAF. I just picked up a nice, large, conical air filter off eBay ($4) and a heat shield to go with it ($10). What do I need to to in order to affix the new filter to my engine, given the vane style MAF?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 January 2004 - 06:24 AM

Use your immagination - take a trip to home depot, and check out the plumbing isle..... ;)

GD

#3 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:40 AM

Not sure if I have the vane-style MAF or not ('92 Loyale SPFI), but a MAF adaptor from a 1991-1999 Nissan Sentra 1.6L bolted right up. Works awesome!

#4 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:30 PM

hey samo, with this mass airflow sensor from the sentra do you use the wiring too, or just the piece that the filter connects to¿

sounds interesting.

#5 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 09 January 2004 - 03:23 PM

Gregg, welcome to the board. As you are a bit new pleas excuse the...
The one problem you are going to have (unless you somehow use the existing air box) is supporting the MAF. As it is now the air box is the support. You can add a bracket down to the frame.
You will need an elbow with a sharp 90 deg turn to miss the inner fender. If you would like I can send you some pictures of my varrious creations or goto http://www.subspeed.com/
He sells a rather expensive adapter, but it may give you an idea.
Here is an experimental version but the MAF to turbo pipe needs changed as shown to set the MAF back.
Posted Image
You can see the bracket though.
One small warning though, these style MAF's do like a volume of air in front of them. That is why the air box is configed like it is, I believe.
I learned this using the above prototype. My filter is now mounted in the area between the inner fender and fender.
Hope this helps some.
(Doom please, instead of post trampling - you might try to PM Samo )

#6 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:48 PM

One problem you may run into is that the 85-86 MAF has a sqare/rectanfular opening. the 87+ Hotwire has a slightly larger round hole. Whatever adfapter you use must take that into account.

I have seen adapters at autozone that will bolt on to our MAFs, but I don't know how well they will seal againct the square/rectangular Vane style.

#7 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:18 PM

Originally posted by MaroonDuneDoom
hey samo, with this mass airflow sensor from the sentra do you use the wiring too, or just the piece that the filter connects to¿

sounds interesting.

Just the piece that the filter connects to. Mine's a little black plastic piece. But, if you have the square opening, the Sentra MAF adaptor won't work well.

#8 Gregg

Gregg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Silver Spring, MD

Posted 10 January 2004 - 11:31 AM

Think it would be difficult to replace the vane MF with a hot wire MAF, if I could locate a rather inexpensive one someplace? I'm sure I could have my under-the-counter mechanic fab something or other, but I'd rather do this myself.

#9 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 10 January 2004 - 12:05 PM

Sorry, Gregg, the operating principles are totally different. Yours is basiclly a potentiometer (variable resistor) the hot wire MAF is a wheatstone bridge (resistance changing due to temperature variation)
If you would care to learn more about the two different types of air flow sensors please see
http://www.autoshop1...m/forms/h34.pdf

You would need to change the ECU. wiring harness and various sensors.
A wee bit more involved than bodging an adapter for your new filter.

#10 Gregg

Gregg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Silver Spring, MD

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:49 AM

It looks like I'm back to plan A: fabbing something. My GF's dad jokingly suggested duct tape. Maybe I'll run by the auto parts store on Sunday...

Anyone here have experience with adding a cone filter to a vane MAF?

#11 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,135 posts
  • WA

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:11 AM

I think I read here sometime back of someone useing an ABS rain gutter downspout, the square type. Take some measurements first.
Rob

#12 Gregg

Gregg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Silver Spring, MD

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:23 PM

Off the the hardware store I go. My GF is goin to think I'm bastante loco, but the feeling of cruising down an open highway at 90+ with a BMW and an Eclipse Spyder makes it worth it :D

#13 Gregg

Gregg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Silver Spring, MD

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:10 AM

The trip to Home Depot did it. Cut some sheet metal for a downspout to fit the MAF, used duct tape (until I can find something better) to attach a 3" diameter dry duct elbow, and affixed my cone filter and heat shield to that. She pulls like a dream, sounds mean, and runs smoother than before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users