Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sub wiring question

hey all i got a question, for those who had subs in the back of their car, in the trunk, hatch or against teh hatch door in a wagon.

how long of a 8gage power did you need, im gonna go get some to wire up my cerwin-vega 12 sub tonight that i took uot of my mazda truck. and i dont know how much wire i need.

also is there a whole in the firewall taht i can run it through rather then drilling, or sunning through the door jam? or do i have to drill, i dont care, but if i have to i will drill a whole.

thanks for any help.

Shean

I snuck the power lead through the gromit at the drivers side top rear of the engine compartment near the fuel filter. as for how long I would get at least 12 FT to have enough flexibilty in the way you run it. I pulled the seats out as well as the center council and some trim to run mine. it took a lot longer than I expected.

oh yeah use split loom to protect it too.

Gosh... i want to say 12ft on the amp wire, but I could be wrong. Its been awhile since i've done mine.

On all my subaru's any wire i have needed to get from the engine to the passenger compartment I have gone through the same place.

On the drivers side of the car... up by the hood hinge is a large rubber grommet thing that has some wires run through it. I usually just undo one edge of the grommet and run it in through there. This drops down right above the pedals. So take off the 2 pieces of dash below the wheel. And you can reach the wire then.

that is a spectacular place and easy to cover in a RTV silicon around the wire and hole when its finished for water proofing ya know.

12 feet sounds reasonable, but if its not to much more I'd suggest 15 for error on caution side incase a section gets a burr cut in it while running it thru the undercarpet sections.

OR if your really hurting for a place and don't want to use that nice hug grommett then there is a smaller grommet around the speedo cable (as well as the clutch cable as a second err thrid option)

I run the boost line thru the speedo grommet as well as the A/F sensor wire. :>) its discrete and very close to the areas of interest for these two mod's for connectivities. ya know.

I used 15 ft, IIRC. However, I also ran the power wire over to the passenger side when I had the sub. You could get away with less than that if you mounted the amp on the driver's side. Under the driver's seat is a good place too, if you want a super-short power wire run.

ya i ran it through the gromet on the driver side, hooked everything up and turned on the stereo, no sub, forgot i took out my fuse for my truck and forgot to put a new one in, so tossed in a fuse and man, it sounds sweet, im glad i put my system in the roo.

now i just have to go get a turbo muffler, clamps, and extention pipe, 2wd dizzy, and take off the clutch fan and swap on a second electric fan.