Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ahead of its New York International Auto Show launch next week, Japanese automaker has unveiled its all-new 2010 Legacy. Though stylistically derivative of the outgoing model, the Legacy is larger than its predecessor and features more powerful optional engines, a standard six-speed manual transmission and an available CVT.

The 2010 Legacy was previewed by a show car at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit earlier this year and, as can be seen from the photos, the production car is true to the concept. Expect the production model to launch this summer, probably as early as the end of June.

Outside, the Legacy looks like a muscular sibling to its trim predecessor since it shares many design cues, including the front grille and c-pillar designs.

Inside, Subaru says it focused on quality materials. A new electronic parking brake eliminated the need for a traditional lever and added more space to the center console area for new cup holders and a storage bin. A three-spoke sport steering wheel with audio controls and paddle shifters for automatic-transmission models is standard and 10-way power driver’s and 4-way power passenger’s seats are optional on the base model but standard otherwise.

Subaru will continue to offer three engine choices and three basic models.

At the bottom of the lineup, the 2.5i continues with a mostly carryover 2.5-liter, 170-horsepower four-cylinder. Subaru says that a new resin-based intake manifold lowers the engine’s weight and improves low-end torque, which stands at 170 lb-ft. - now at 4,000 rpm versus 4,400 rpm before. Subaru also says that improved cooling and a revised catalyst will boost fuel economy figures above the 20/27 (manual) and 18/25 (automatic) before. The 2.5i will now come standard with a six-speed manual (versus a five-speed in 2009) and it will offer a CVT automatic rather than the four-speed conventional automatic from before.

The 2.5GT gets a revised 2.5-liter turbocharged boxer four with 265-horsepower and 258 lb-ft (a 22 horse and 17 lb-ft. improved over the old model). A modified turbocharger and a reduction in rpms required for peak torque - the torque curve is flat from 2,000 rpm to 5,600 rpm, Subaru says - make it both faster and more efficient than before. A six-speed manual and five-speed automatic remain available.

At the top of the range, the 3.6R model gets an uprated version of the 3.0-liter flat-six previously offered. Subaru says that the 3.6-liter six, which now uses regular fuel, puts out 256-horsepower and 247 lb-ft. of torque (compared to 245/215 from the outgoing engine). It’ll be paired to a five-speed automatic exclusively.

The CVT in the 2.5i, which is expected to make up the bulk of sales if historical figures are to be considered, is the first longitudinally-mounted CVT system in an all-wheel-drive car.

Underneath, all-wheel-drive is again standard and the suspension is significantly modified both front and rear. MacPherson struts up front and a double-wishbone rear suspension mate up with 16-inch steel or alloy wheels on base 2.5i models, while “premium” 2.5i models and 3.6Rs get 17-inch wheels. The 2.5GT receives 18-inch alloy wheels as standard. Stability control is standard across the line.

Externally, the Legacy remains about the same length, growing just over an inch, while adding over three inches to its width (now about 71.7 inches wide). Legacy adds about three inches to its height, as well.

Subaru says that rear seat room and trunk space are up, as well. The trunk will now hold four golf bags, but Subaru declined to specify exact figures.

Pics from: http://www.car-pictures.us

Subaru_Legacy_01.jpg

Subaru_Legacy_04.jpg

Subaru_Legacy_05.jpg

urabus needs to get back to it's roots!

cheap, durable, inexpensive and built to stay that way!! with 4WD and good fuel mileage of 24 - 32+

perhaps a modernized version of gen1 BRAT

hid headlights

power mirrors, seats, windows, locks, brakes, clock

6spd trans with crawl and od

ej16 power :burnout:

ARE YOU LISTENING??? BUILD IT!!!!!

or perhaps someday I will build my own :grin:

post-1818-13602763209_thumb.jpg

post-1818-136027632097_thumb.jpg

That looks entirely to much like a toyota camry.. Could this be the end of Subaru as we know it, and have loved it for so long?

Man Exactly what i first though...that is a Camry...I think Subaru still has a good grasp on things now...of course anything could happen...look at GM, Ford, and Chrysler...lol

I think the new Legacy looks great and I have been a Subaru owner for 22 years. The power and torque upgrades to the engine appear impressive.... I think the torque is higher than the current WRX - perhaps the WRX will get the mod next year as well, plus the 6 speed manual.

By the way, my only Subaru now is an 87 Brat.

Thumbs up for:

6-spd manual

Bigger trunk

Front end styling--I like it, a evolution of the current car

Going back to 16" wheels on the base model-save the aggressive, expensive 17" summer tires for the Turbo

Thumbs down for:

Bland rear end styling that looks like an '03 Accord/Hyundai Sonata--less aggressive and chiseled than the current car

Increase in size (weight too?) but carryover base engine

No regular automatic in the base model (unless I read this wrong)--Is a CVT in a heavy AWD 170HP flat 4 going to be pleasant from a NVH standpoint? Seems to me that engine will be working pretty hard. I hope the mileage is good.

Edited by Bmm001
wanted to clarify a point

"I dont see any SVX in the back of the new Legacy"

Put the SVX spoiler on it and narrow the tail lights. It's squared off like the SVX.

I give the new Legacy 7 out of 10 stars. It's bloated. However, it looks better than the 2000-2004s. I wish it could recapture some of the 1990 edge. Given the choice between a real Toyota and a fake one, people will choose the real one.

I still see to much damn toyota..

And single exhaust? WTF! Thats been one of Subarus things since 2005..

Aside from the SVX and the newer cars, Subaru has always been about the single exhaust. Always out the driver's side. One of the many complaints with the new Impreza design is that the new design has dual exhaust output which from a physics standpoint is not as good as the single outlet design.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2010.html

Much better pics, and i think maybe I could like this car :)

nipper

I agree with you on everything but the grill.

It looks too much like the tribeca's grill.

Oh wait, it is the tribeca front end!

I like the back the sides even the interior is nice, but the grill just looks

horrendous.

Give me the tribeca's original nose on the out back and you have a mean

looking car.

Just my $.02

Twitch

I like the car overall with one BIG exception. I HATE the bug - eyed headlights! The damn things go halfway back the front fenders! Why couldn't Subaru have taken a page from Acura instead of following the huge rump roast Japanese headlight trend.

Slim headlights + sexy and sporty.

They could have done better with the grille too, tone down or eliminate that center bar thingy.

I went to the car show today.

I saw the 2010 Outback.

I saw the Legacay

I saw the Forseter

I saw the Imprezza.

I went looking for the Outback, but it didnt standout. I got it confused with the Tribecca.

This is a Tribecca

DSC01817.jpg

This is the outback

DSC01814.jpg

I talked to a Rep on the floor.

Subaru is really good at keeping secrets. The Reps and dealers didnt even know about the new "outback" untill subaru showed it off.

Many cars are loosing their engine temp gauges, Subaru is not the only one that had dropped them. The subaru rep said he couldnt understand them deleating it, and did not know if it was available on the central information panel on the dash or not (they havent even driven one yet).

The Outback is about the same height that Blu is. It looks like a big car in person, but is actually smaller then a 2009 Outback. The roof rack can hold more wieght. The roof is not as tall as an Tribecca. The interior is pleasing. The rear storage area looks about the same as Blu. Lots of real rear seat room.

When I asked the rep about the triboutacy, he did bashfully agreed that the new outback was a non-tribecca tribecca. He also said they were disapointed that Subaru seemed to be steering away from the Station Wagon market (hence it being a triboutacy)

The interior is much nicer and less wierd then a tribecca (read normal). The radio is seperate from the climate controls (Guess they learned thier lesson on that one).

The Legacy is going upscale (no surprise) but looks much nicer in person. All the pics for both cars make them look massive, which they are not.

The Reps said the #1 question they had all week, when is the diesel coming? So SOA knows all about the hunger for the diesel (and it will help subaru attain quirkyness again).

The turbo is gone (and from an engineering point of view it makes sense). Also He had been seeing a trend in failed turbos, as I have been seeing on the Outback board.

Would I buy one, yes, with a diesel, hell yes.

Now the CVT transmission. I have good pics of it and the diesel \

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x234/nipper-dawg/2010%20Car%20Show%20NYC/

Its a really small package. That tiny oil pan has me concerned. The chain drive CVT i will withold judgement on, but it may be the first time i may agree to buying an extended warrenty untill these things get some miles on them. The cvt boosts the mpg up to 23 city, as opposed to 19.

Big surpise of the show?

Suzuki SX4. This is what may give a base imprezza a run for the money. Its big on the inside, a little underpowered (2.0L) but is what we all wish Subaru would make as the new Justy. And just WHY does IT have a 2wd/auto/4wd switch where as Subaru doesnt? Thats frustratiing.

nipper