Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there supposed to be *any* kind of step in the EJ22 flywheel or are they cut completely smooth on the disc/pressure plate surface? I just pulled one from a 96 Legacy and the flywheel has a small step in it. Otherwise it's undamaged and the disc only went to the rivets on the PP side. I cleaned it up with a 3M pad in the die-grinder and I'm tempted to reuse it as is if that step is supposed to be there....

I looked at some online catalogs and some seem to show a step, while other's look smooth. If it's there it's small though so it's hard to tell from small, grainy pictures....

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

A lot of the older legacy stuff does have a small step in the flywheel. I know the "210" flywheel does. I beleive the '90' flywheel does not.

Nonetheless, if it has a step in it now, it's likely supposed to be there. There would be some serious work to get the clutch disc to wear a groove in the flywheel.

Dan

I will measure it against a precision ground surface with a digital height gauge for warpage - thanks for the tip. I didn't feel any warpage when I drove the car though so I'm pretty sure it was just a worn down disc that was the problem here. The rivets dug into the pressure plate so I'm going to do a clutch kit on it.

GD

From everything I've read on this board, the '96 ej22 is a phase one motor and thus a non-interference engine. The ej22 in my OBW is non-interference. When I did my clutch a few months back, my flywheel had NO step. I remember reading a post once upon a time about people stepping the flywheel to achieve more grab. Perhaps an angle to research? When I priced new flywheels, I remember seeing only one part number for the ej22 for whatever that's worth.

The run-out spec for the flywheels is pretty small, .002 or .001 or so. I turned mine at work and it was cake using a carbide cutter.

Will-

huh, I dunno. I'm pretty sure mine's dual port, but I couldn't swear to it. I'll check when I get home if you're interested.

Yeah - take a look. It's pretty easy to spot. From what I have always heard, the single-port went along with the interferance design change that netted an additional 17 HP.

I can't swear that the engine hasn't been replaced, but if it was it's the cleanest swap I've ever seen and with only 113k on the car and a clean title I can't see any reason it would have been swapped out.....

GD

yup, dual port heads. I couldn't swear that my engine hadn't been swapped either as I got it with 120k and no service history whatsoever. I was mostly basing my earlier comments on cars101 info and info from the board. But it seems Subaru was not shy about putting whatever they had on hand into whatever they had on hand.

Of course, none of this helps you with your flywheel question except to perhaps look for a part number for a '97-'99 ej22 that would be undoubtedly a phase 2.

113k and the disc is already down to rivets? Does it still drive or was it slipping like mad? I can't imagine the flywheel won't need at least a turn to get off the glazing that must be present from riding the clutch hard enough to fail by 113k.

113k and the disc is already down to rivets? Does it still drive or was it slipping like mad? I can't imagine the flywheel won't need at least a turn to get off the glazing that must be present from riding the clutch hard enough to fail by 113k.

After a good buffing with a brown abrasive pad in my die-grinder it looks ok. The rivets only hit the pressure plate fortunately. It did still drive although it was slipping like crazy. The transmission had a blown 2nd gear and it may have been that way for a while causing them to go from 1st to 3rd - the extra clutch riding that came with the gear skip may have been it's undoing. At least that's the current theory.

The step in the flywheel for the disc is negative - IE, it's deeper than the pressure plate mounting surface by maybe .005" (haven't taken an exact measurement - that's just an eyeball).

I'm going to run the VIN at my local dealer and see if they have any reccords on the car at all - perhaps it got a new engine under warantee or something. Maybe they could tell me what the critieria for Phase I/II would have been.... they are pretty cool and I buy a lot of parts from them so if they know they will help me I'm sure.

GD

...while causing them to go from 1st to 3rd - the extra clutch riding that came with the gear skip may have been it's undoing. At least that's the current theory.

good theory

The step in the flywheel for the disc is negative...

GD

That's weird, .005 ain't much, but weird that it would be there at all. Too bad no phase 2 ej22 peeps are speaking up.

Good luck!

Will-

96 Legacy Brighton. When I replaced the clutch a couple of years ago, the machine shop guy cut a few thousanths from the outher crown of the flywheel (where the pressure plate bolts on) to give the clutch "a little more grab". I dont know exactly how much he took off but the clutch has been working like a charm since. The flywheel was "stepped" just like yours.

For what it's worth.

Good luck !

Hey GD,

Here's the only thing I've found on it. Seems this is the kind of information someone turning flywheels would have on hand. RHINO PAC is the only mfg. I've found posting the flywheel spec. It came up recently with the EA clutch and the specs for them. For your Legacy, it says "FLAT".

"RHINO PAC Part # 15010R

Brighton; Disc Spec: 8-7/8" OD X 1" ID X 24T, Flywheel Spec: FLAT; Kit Includes an Oversize Release Bearing and Repair Sleeve That Fits Over the Worn Aluminum Quill; Kit with Repair Sleeve".

Doug

Taking a close look at it, and looking at the pressure plate friction surface as well - I conclude that the step on this one is from wear alone. It was definitely a 100% flat flywheel to begin with. I see a sharp ridge on the ID edge of the PP friction surface and a similar step to the flywheel on the OD. Also there is not just a single step on the flywheel - there are several smaller steps where the edges of the rivet holes are located in the disc (less wear from less friction disc surface). All this together with the testimony of all who have posted to this thread leads me to beleive it was not a stepped flywheel.....

I'm going to have it machined as the cost is 1/2 that of a new one it looks like.

Thanks for all the info guys.

GD