Ultimate Subaru Message Board

moving to Columbia,S.C.

Whoa !! Sparky,there's a shop there in Columbia that has a small load of 70's 4WD rear exhaust. These are kind of long and bent,usually have a heatshield that wants to rip your fingers off when you handle it carelessly.....uhhh,would you be interested in picking a couple up,wrapping them together,slapping a label on them and shipping them to me? Cash,up front,of course....

The guy wants like $90 each to ship which is insane. I'm thinking the person that helps deserves at least $10 per unit plus gas and lunch....but thinking shipping should be more like $25 per unit.

If open to consideration please contact me. If not,no biggie and enjoy Columbia. The State Troopers down there ....well,you've seen those movies,right? But their speeding tickets are reasonable. :)

the company is giving me $$$$ to move...and the standard of living is cheap

so i'll be living high on the hog ..

i'll be driving south thru pdx over to saltlake, then phoenix ..then straight across the south

i should find out the 1st wk of nov when i am suppose to be in columbia,sc

i'll let you know when i 'll be heading out

hopefully i can stop and say hello on the way back east..

Sparky

weather is fantastic. summers are brutal during heat waves. don't plan on doing car work between 10am-6pm on hot/humid days.

stay away from fire ants. they look just like tiny ants from where we live, but are completely different. their bite is akin to a bee sting. i've laid in a nest before while changing oil, not fun.

plan on being outside all winter though, only during brief cold snaps will it be nasty.

the earliest open deer rifle season in the country, the only place it's easy to take a buck still in velvet. go shrimping on the coast too if you like that sort of thing. visit Charleston and eat some seafood. Seafood Shack is supposed to be really good, though my experience there was below average. be prepared to see wild Alligators too, they're in golf course ponds and generally every where. kayak the ocean and islands on the coast.

the very western, mountainous portion of the state (granted nothing like the mountains you're used to, but very usable and beautiful still) are beatiful. if you like camping try the north east corner of GA, the Chatooga River area is very nice, remote, and great trout fishing considering how far south it is. the Smokey Mountain National Park is a fantastic area - try Cades Cove, there's usually wild animals walking around all the time - you just drive through it and look at deer, turkeys, bear, etc.

i imagine the demeanor of folks there will be extremely different from what you're used too. south eastern people are my favorite, they are unbelievably generous and kind, i love it. would live there if it weren't for so much family up north. be careful where you live/associate with, theres still plenty of "Old Money", as they call it, around. country club, nose in the air types....well, I don't know you, that's what you might be after.

in general Subaru's are rather rare down south.

• 3 weeks later...
Bump: i'd like to hear from ya'll out on the East coast i'll be there

around feb 15th of next year:rolleyes:

Common ........i'll be the only USMB dude in S.C....:eek: give me a break ok:lol:

Sparky.

Sparky,

Might be cool to meet up at the Outer Banks some summer day. :)

I do still want to get some of those exhausts from the people in Columbia...we'll be in touch.

You got that straight....i am biting at the bit to get out there the weather has been in the 70's in columbia....and right now seattle is like a giant

WET MOP............:lol:

:eek:

Just wait till you experience a few hurricanes :-p

When are you leaving?

Maybe we can have a send off party :drunk:

well Rob....

as of friday the 10 of us from the seattle office that have applied for the job

were told that were expected in columbia,sc between feb 15 and march 1st

i am takin wks of vac and the company is giving us 1 travel week paid plus $ for gas and motel's but we have to pay for food on the road....

i am looking at heading out of seattle around jan 25th ,i'll know more in the next two weeks..and will be offered a wkend trip at companies nickle to fly back for a look see....

did somebody say send off party? i am all over that........

and i'll be the only one in S.C. on USMB as far as i know.......

I think you need to detour up here to New England and visit us...it would make for a nice break in the trip :grin:

Maybe not so easy of a trip at that time if there's a snow storm....but we'll catch up with Spark,I'm sure.

[Just wait till you experience a few hurricanes /QUOTE]

We're all still here. :grin:

Survived Gloria by crossing a wooden bridge 20 minutes before it was wiped out. The bridge is still out! That was COOL! We'd drive around in my friend's van and look to help folks.

Hurricanes ha...........at least you can see'm comming

try a 5.6 earthquake......at night and you rock and roll...right back to sleep

you can't see a quake commin right USMB-NWter's.....

The H-2 just crossed 288K yesterday....i am goinng to have the trans serviced ,along with new Tire's ,plugs,wire's

and of course my seafoam that's a gem for the H-2 it really clean's the intake's good.....

any other suggestions ???????????

spark

The food in Dixie is great. I envy you that. Bojangles resturaunts, Catfish n hush puppies, fried chicken by the platter.... oh, yeah!!

In South Carolina, you'll encounter boiled peanuts. They taste nothing like any peanut flavored food you've had before. They're a snack food like popcorn or chips but very cheap and very habit forming. I love em!!

The folks are a little set in their ways... Apartheid is still alive in certain quarters of S.C. I'm sure you'll figure it out real quick.

All in all, I'd give it a B grade. You could certainly do worse.