Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wheels

I can answer that. Its easier to go back. You can always get different wheels if you want to go back to stock suby 4 lugs if you just drill a cheep import wheel. But alittle more costly and permanent if you drill the backing plate.

Just knock the extra studs out and put them back in the original holes... done..?

Just knock the extra studs out and put them back in the original holes... done..?

or pickup 4 hubs from the junkyard and drill. then if/when you want to go back just put the old hubs back in? course if you do something like that you could just do the whole 5lug convert :P

That'd require removing the hubs, an extra step that can be avoided by just drilling the wheels.

Plus, drilling the hubs is going to require 4 holes be drilled in each hub, and that those holes match the nurl size of whatever stud you decide to use. That's something that is going to take a bit more precision than drilling out a set of wheels. Drilling the wheels can be done blindly by any monkey capable of lifting, and manipulating a drill.

I agree with you completely that drilling the hubs would be cleaner, neater, and stronger. However, the fact is that we are beating the crap out of $400 cars, not going to car shows in hopes of a "Best of Show" trophy, nor are we launching men to the moon.

People drill wheels because it's the easiest, simplest, and quickest way (that has been proven reliable) to achieve the goal of mounting those wheels on the cars. Argue all the reasons you ever want, the fact is that here we change from Pugs to 6 lug rims fairly often, and taking off your hubs to pound out studs just to change wheels is kinda silly.

Edited by 3eyedwagon

I found some 15" 6-lug wheels that I forgot I had so that's good, but I

believe they're 8 1/4" wide with a 4" backspace (I need to double check these measurements). will they work under a '81 wagon (4" lift).. ?

how wide is too wide and/or what backspace is required before it's just

too wide, regardless of lift/bang'n?

anyone running a similar size wheel/tire?

To each there own ....... but for me I'd drill the hubs and put the 6 luggers on and forget about it . Why ever go back to 4 lugs again ? Limited selection of tire sizes etc , and it just looks better .

If you are building just a thrasher to pound the ************ out of OK .... but if I had a halfway decent car and a drill press I'd drill hubs .

Either way works . I think it boils down to whatever tools you have to work with , your mechanical expertice and how much time you want to spend on the project . A drill press and a selection of bits is a handy thing to have . Harbor Freight has sales on these things .

Bob

• 3 months later...
I found some 15" 6-lug wheels that I forgot I had so that's good, but I

believe they're 8 1/4" wide with a 4" backspace (I need to double check these measurements). will they work under a '81 wagon (4" lift).. ?

how wide is too wide and/or what backspace is required before it's just

too wide, regardless of lift/bang'n?

anyone running a similar size wheel/tire?

if you havnt done the conversion yet whack out two opposing studs and bolt the rim on. turn the rim so its pointed at the closest thing it can possibly hit . then set the car back down on a piece of carpet or wood to compress the suspension to normal ride height .use a tape measure and this link to calculate your max tire size. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Metric_To_Inch_Tires.html

Thanks for the input.. I've drilled the extra set of wheels to fit my subie, but I'm not using them at this time... for now, I'm running the SJR wheel adapters for the old VW bug wheels and some 215/75/15 BFG's KM2's and other than the slight wobble I have at about 40mph, these are good for now. Especially since I've spent so much time on the interstate... the wider rims I"ve drilled out would really kill my gas mileage!! :)

the BFG Mud Terrains have served my needs so far... didn't stick it this

fall, and with a record-breaking rainfall year (plus off-roading in the delta) I

was impressed with the ol'wagon.. :banana:

best regards,

gadberry

if you havnt done the conversion yet whack out two opposing studs and bolt the rim on. turn the rim so its pointed at the closest thing it can possibly hit . then set the car back down on a piece of carpet or wood to compress the suspension to normal ride height .use a tape measure and this link to calculate your max tire size. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Metric_To_Inch_Tires.html

Thanks for the input.. I've drilled the extra set of wheels to fit my subie, but I'm not using them at this time... for now, I'm running the SJR wheel adapters for the old VW bug wheels and some 215/75/15 BFG's KM2's and other than the slight wobble I have at about 40mph, these are good for now. Especially since I've spent so much time on the interstate... the wider rims I"ve drilled out would really kill my gas mileage!! :)

the BFG Mud Terrains have served my needs so far... didn't stick it this

fall, and with a record-breaking rainfall year (plus off-roading in the delta) I

was impressed with the ol'wagon.. :banana:

best regards,

gadberry

yea im in the process of doing the conversion now . i have a picture of me doing what i suggested to you with the exact rim size you were asking about but dont know how to post pix. btw i had 2" of clearance from the front fender on stock height requiring me to use a 35 series tire so i went with a 14 " D-50 rim with 195/60R14

I've got a 4" lift, so that helped me some, but I've had to do a wee bit

of hammer work... yet I still have a bit of rubbing going on; especially with

a four-pack o'bubba's with their 48qt ice chest in the back (private land only-of course).

I carved up the outer edges of those tires a bit, before I got busy with the

hammer.. and these are only 28" tires.. Ever seen air shocks on the rear

of a GL wagon?? I wondered if that would help mitigate the occassional heavy load....

cheers.

oh, and regarding pics.. the only way i've had any luck w/it is to first upload

images into my "User CP" area (within a gallery) and then to reference the URL of those individual pics as I reference them within a post..

I think you have to donate or support the USMB before you have that option though... which is OK by me..

pic uploads aren't that user-friendly though IMO

I've got a 4" lift, so that helped me some, but I've had to do a wee bit

of hammer work... yet I still have a bit of rubbing going on; especially with

a four-pack o'bubba's with their 48qt ice chest in the back (private land only-of course).

I carved up the outer edges of those tires a bit, before I got busy with the

hammer.. and these are only 28" tires.. Ever seen air shocks on the rear

of a GL wagon?? I wondered if that would help mitigate the occassional heavy load....

cheers.

hmmmm that big bolt under the back seat works like air shocks 8)> if only you could get it to turn with a push of a button instead of using a impact. if you click on my homepage you can see that pick for which i spoke of Edited by KAIS3R