Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What kind of gas milage do you get?

akc

86 GL wagon with 315,000 miles:

22 to 24 mpg mountain driving (8,000 to 12,000 ft elevation)

38 to 40 mpg flat land keeping speed UNDER 60mph

48.8 mpg flat land, 55mph w/strong tail wind!

Seldom drive in cities so no idea what mileage would be there.

For the past 3-4 years I've been keeping consistent track of my

mileage. I use the same pump at the same station about 98% of the time

to rule out differences there. It only changes when it needs a tune-up

or something takes a dump (i.e. oxy sen).

Highway: 30-32 mpg

City: 19-21 mpg

i get 21-23 or so mixed town and highway driving. mostly town, best i have had was 24mpg mostly highway. love my 3at! not for long! 5spd goin in soon!:banana::lol:

:lol: you arent excited or anything, are you?? :lol:

my old 89 GL wagon, 5 spd, FWD got 32-33 mpg average bone stock(and i did NOT baby it!)

madkow's 89 GL wagon, 5 spd, dual range got 28-30 mpg also bone stock(he drove it like Grandpa!)

the current 90 Legacy LS AWD Automatic gets anywhere from 26 to 29 mpg - havent managed to break that 30 mark with it yet, but got really close @ 29.8 on a fill up. :rolleyes:

madkow has a 90 Legacy L, 5 spd FWD that gets 32 mpg easy (again, he drives like grandpa! :grin: )

• 1 month later...

Got a new subie 86 GL 4wd wagon this one has the Hitachi carb.. it gets 25 so far (first time checking ) that also included several 5 minute warm up times. I am betting it gets closer to 30 with freeway miles. ....I am so happy... way better then the other 86 wagon with barely 20 mpg I am at sea level.

31.3MPG last time I filled up and calculated. Mostly highway with 225/75R16's on her. That is also beating it up to speed and running at approx 66mph most of the time. (It runs at 2500 at 66mph in 5th. due to the tire size):lol:

my 93 legacy awd auto got 17 on its best day. No CEL's but found out later that it had a LAZY O2 sensor... bugger...

Edited by Ricearu

31.3MPG last time I filled up and calculated. Mostly highway with 225/75R16's on her. That is also beating it up to speed and running at approx 66mph most of the time. (It runs at 2500 at 66mph in 5th. due to the tire size):lol:

my 93 legacy awd auto got 17 on its best day. No CEL's but found out later that it had a LAZY O2 sensor... bugger...

66 @ 2500? is that accurate? Wouldnt your speedo be off with the tire size difference. or do the subaru speed sensors work differently? http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html (need Java) not saying you are full of ************ or anything, just wondering.

i cant wait till its warmer out and we get the 'summer' gas back so i can get a real take on my mileage now with the 5spd d/r in it. so far its still getting like 22.5mpg as before with the 3at. :-\ but then again, dumpin the clutch in 4wd in the snow probably doesnt help at all :)

Edited by xbeerd

Im in the UK for Christmas. Its so nice to see so many small cars on the road here. Typicaly my mothers little Vauxhal Corsa with a 1 litre engine. But there are many similar sized cars to choose from. My favorite being the new Fiat 500.

But what really amazed me is the efficiency of all engines here. The old man has a new BMW 5 series diesel. Now I know BMW is a dirty word on this forum but he regularly gets between 45 and 48 mpg on short trips (less than 20 miles).

I think thats pretty fantastic for a big family car.

My 83 GL gets about 35mpg mixed city/hwy. With 205/75/14 tires.

This was before adding the roofrack and spare tire up there though.

So proly a bit less now.

Calculated with a combo of GPS distance readings and gallons used. (as the odo/speedo is off now)