Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project 83 coupe

Well some who have been following along know that i totaled my sedan (could probably be fixed but wasnt worth it to me). This is the replacement. I gave it a little intro in this thread http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107973 Since then i have resealed my motor from the sedan and sealed the back of the transmission along with doing GDs solution for the roll pin. Here is where im at right now. Engine and tranny are in. Front suspension is in. Most of the wiring is hooked up. There is still a good amount of stuff to be done but its coming along. Here are some pics since i know starting a thread like this without pictures is a big no no on this board :lol:

excuse the crappy out of focus picture. This is showing the rear of the trans without any seal and all cleaned up ready for a new seal.

IMG_1480.jpg

All done now and GDs shifter slop solution ( i didnt have any slop before but i massacred the role pin that was in there getting it out so there was no saving it. Oh and i one upped u GD...grade 8 bolt lol. Can we say overkill?

IMG_1483.jpg

Resealed motor and tranny going into the coupe

IMG_1484.jpg

Almost

IMG_1485.jpg

There we are

IMG_1486.jpg

Here it is pretty buttoned up and the way i left it for the night

IMG_1488.jpg

To be continued tomorrow.....

And power steering!!:banana:

And cruise! Im not completely sure ill be able to keep the cruise just yet since it was meant to work with the carter weber which had the throttle linkage on the drivers side and the weber has it on the passenger side. Im going to look into it more tomorrow.

Power steering is nice. I got spoiled on it in the sedan and was happy i didnt have to change my lazy ways or go through the trouble of swapping that over. :)

My lifted wagon still has the Hitachi cruise control throttle cable setup on it. The system doesn't work and I don't have plans to fix it. Buy me a plain throttle cable to replace it and it's your's for the shipping.

Or you could use an EA82 style CC setup where it's all on the pedal side. Might have to swap the pedal assembly for that to work - I'm not sure.

Looking good though - you are moving right along with your install. Way to get stuff done!

GD

Yea thats on my to do list. The rust its got is no where near as bad as the sedans was. The worst of it is in front of each rear wheel and even that is minor. Ill throw some photos of that in here or the other rust repair thread.

Have to remove fenders and get to the inside of the unibody cantilever arms with POR or equiv. and remove the cowl and the same deal near the wiper transmission...and that's only the begining. You'll do fine I'm sure. But please if you really want this right and want it to last don't neglect any areas.

Other considerations would be the lower unibody crossmember below the radiator , rear skirt (valance) , inside of doors , rocker panels - you'll want to spray inside and use plugs to seal it back up. Unibody supports under car - VERY important and of course floors and lower firewall.

Talk to a shop that has many years of rustproofing and get direct advice. Or let them talk you into a good deal of them doing it and save yourself the contamination and effort.

Look at the '74 I just turned over to Jesse. That car if treated properly will be worth WAY more than what he's paying me for it in short time. But if it develops rust in a few years - :-\

Not sure what your plans are but if you ever have a kid it'll be a real sweet car to turn over one day.

My other advice would be don't overbuy and overstock anything. There were way many more of these cars made than we think of here on our coast. We had plenty of them here but you know what happened. You can always find bits and pieces to improve the body, just not much here out east.

See ya!

My lifted wagon still has the Hitachi cruise control throttle cable setup on it. The system doesn't work and I don't have plans to fix it. Buy me a plain throttle cable to replace it and it's your's for the shipping.

GD

Thank you very much for the offer. I may just do that if i cant make this one work. I was going to swing by napa tomorrow and look through a catalog of different throttle cables and see if they can get me a new one going from the box to the carb. If not i have a relatively new hitachi cable I will be sending your way.

As for today..i got more done. Im beat. I swapped rear suspensions out. It was just as well since the coupes rear shocks were blown. The main reason i did it was the sedan has an xt6 rear sway welded onto the trailing arms along with the rear disk upgrade and KYB GR2s so i figured might as well just swap it all over in one chunk.

Disk rear swap out of the sedan

IMG_1489.jpg

Sedan with no rear

IMG_1490.jpg

Coupe with no rear

IMG_1491.jpg

All done with the rear of the car other than bleeding brakes and hanging exhaust

IMG_1492.jpg

I see you swapped trunk lids also.

Looking good, makes me want to get motivated.

Nah :rolleyes:

Yea i did. I like the racks but they are a great place to store moisture and start rust. The other trunk is just barely starting to rust under wooden things. I did discover in that swap that the springs were changed out for stronger ones when they put that rack on at the factory or dealership. It adds way more weight than i thought.

Whatever I can find is for you or Connie. I had a whole cruise setup for those cars. I'm in the middle of helping Charlie get my turbo wagon running again but as I can I will be going thru storage and consolidating and of course weeding out the stuff I have no use for - once again.

Whatever I can find is for you or Connie. I had a whole cruise setup for those cars. I'm in the middle of helping Charlie get my turbo wagon running again but as I can I will be going thru storage and consolidating and of course weeding out the stuff I have no use for - once again.

Thanks Paul. You got a PM.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured i would bring this one back from the dead. As some of you know i was having issues with the sunroof and such. Well i got that all taken care of along with all the bodywork it needed for now. I have it probably about 95% done (all thats left is the carpet once i figure out if the roof leaks along with stereo and center console). Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure. Thanks to all who helped and answered questions along the way. I took her for a spin down the road she ran GREAT. I cant wait to put some seat time in. Driving the camaro the past few weeks was fun (other than that warning from the cop) but i missed driving stick so much.

So for starters here are the pictures of how i have the sunroof drains done.

IMG_1500.jpg

Id recommend anyone with a sunroof EA81 do this. There can be no good coming from water running on the inside of your rockers.

And...here are the pictures of the car today! Needs a buff like crazy but shes all together.

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

Looking great man. Nice work.

As for the radio and center console, do you have a slant console? I've got a tan one that I don't think I'm ever going to get around to using.

Yup im all set with that. Im just leaving it out for now until i put the carpet in and they everything is going back in. Thanks for the offer though bud :).