Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seat interchangeability

from what i recall EA82 seats are interchangeable.

most EJ stuff is interchangeable, though there are some variations through the years.

are you talking between EA82 or wanting to swap from EA82 to EJ? EJ stuff usually doesn't bolt right in to an EA82 but can be made to work.

some EJ stuff will make you sit a good bit higher in the car if you fit them into an EA82. haven't spent much time in other EA stuff but in an XT it gets tight if you're tall.

• 1 month later...

Just drilling and cutting and bolting if you don't have a welder. More things to watch loosen as you drive.:grin: I'm sitting in outback seats in my 82'. They are too big by the way and barely slide forward or back due to friction.

Just drilling and cutting and bolting if you don't have a welder. More things to watch loosen as you drive.:grin: I'm sitting in outback seats in my 82'. They are too big by the way and barely slide forward or back due to friction.

Nylocks.

The driver's seat in my red wagon is a Legacy seat. Took about 30 minutes of my time to prepare and mount it to the EA82 seat bracket, including threading the spacer, the mounts on the Legacy seat and drinking a couple beers.

Just drilling, no welding or cutting required.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I swapped my old seats on 86 GL hatch with newer (i think 04 wrx) seats

which i find the most comfortable, even better than sti ones (i like them for removable headrests)

bought them from wrecker for $180 and actually bought both passenger's side

because they are usually in much better shape

spent couple of days making bases and fitting the rails

but quite satisfied with the results. can't wait for the next rally :banana:

oh eah, and while on it i also made a hub from my old steering wheel and bolted Momo on it =o)

1986subiegl6-0.jpg?r=t

Edited by alexinvancouver

I swapped my old seats on 86 GL hatch with newer (i think 04 wrx) seats

which i find the most comfortable, even better than sti ones (i like them for removable headrests)

bought them from wrecker for $180 and actually bought both passenger's side

because they are usually in much better shape

spent couple of days making bases and fitting the rails

but quite satisfied with the results. can't wait for the next rally :banana:

1986subiegl6-0.jpg?r=t

Oh man those seats look Shnazzy:slobber: +1 :lol: i am also wondering if seats out of an older GL or XT will bolt right in to my 90 loyale? cheers all!:)

i don't know if there's a direct fit but i'm sure one can make any seat fit as long as it's not overly wide :)

for this seat swap i had to manufacture base and weld it to the new seats and then just bolted sliders to it.

once i was driving my daughter's acura rsx and i though " man, these are the most comfortable seats"! and i was gonna buy those and make them fit.

but decided to stick to OEM Subaru's parts :)

so, why don't You just unbolt one of Your seats (it'll take couple of minutes anyway) and try what ever You like and go from there

but i'd recommend to go with seats as newer as possible.

BECAUSE IT'S YOUR back and butt man!

Oh man those seats look Shnazzy:slobber: +1 :lol: i am also wondering if seats out of an older GL or XT will bolt right in to my 90 loyale? cheers all!:)
Edited by alexinvancouver

I am thinking about throwing some Outback seats into the Brat eventually, but at the moment I am wanting some Subaru floormats like Alex has. Would love a Subaru logo seatcover as well but am having no luck.. Emailed Subaru themselves and they said they dont have any. Told them I wanted to put the new logo seatcovers on a Outback or Baja, implying I wanted to buy a new vehicle and they told me not to put seatcovers on them, some nonsense about the airbags...