Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Your question is loaded, there is so much to determine if 8000 is a good value on a 2005 Baja. Factors to consider would be maintenance records, cleanliness accidents, title history, salvage history, car fax report, how new the tires are, if it has cracked window etc. If you have a picture, that can tell value a lot just by inspecting.

Is it a Auto or 5spd.

What options does it have, bed cover, rubber mats, compass mirror, etc.

If I can sell my 2000 Honda Odyssey, I have the option of buying a 2005 Baja sport automatic with 90k miles for $8,000. Anyone know about the reliability of the Baja and if that is a good deal? Any input would be welcome. Thanks

that doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. I have a baja and I love it. If it is nice and all seems well I'd go for it.

I agree, but at 90K I'd do some haggling based on the soon-to-be-required timing belt replacement.

I agree. If you are getting it at a dealer, they might do it for you cheap or free to sweeten the deal. Just make sure they replace the water pump and idler pulleys while they are at it. If it is private party, use it as a bargaining chip to see if they will drop the price some.

A baja is basically a legacy outback, with a different shaped back end -- drivetrain is all the same as far as I know... so look for all the same stuff as an outback of the same year. Except, I thought they stopped making the Baja in 2004... so it might be the same as the 2004 Outback, not the 2005 one ??

I have a friend with one... it's a pretty nice little trucklet. I think the bright yellow ones look really nice :)

The Baja remained in production until approximately April 2006, essentially unchanged. It retained its Gen2 Outback (2000-2004) appearance although as of 2005 the Gen3 Outbacks were in production.

exactly. I have an 06 (the last year made and also the reason I bought it)

Thanks for the opinions. The Baja is owned by a lady in my church and it has already had all the major things needed for the mileage. I don't know what options it has just yet because I have yet to look at it in person. Her husband passed away a year ago and it has been stored in her garage since then. I am just hoping that my Odyssey sells so I can own Two Subaru's.

Anyone know what the ground clearance is on the Baja compared to an impreza outback sport? I am curious......

Thanks for the opinions. The Baja is owned by a lady in my church and it has already had all the major things needed for the mileage. I don't know what options it has just yet because I have yet to look at it in person. Her husband passed away a year ago and it has been stored in her garage since then. I am just hoping that my Odyssey sells so I can own Two Subaru's.

Anyone know what the ground clearance is on the Baja compared to an impreza outback sport? I am curious......

Try www.cars101.com. The only thing I would recomend doing after sitting for a year is chainging the oil, tranny and coolant and closely inspect the tires. As much as i love a deal, times are a little hard, so dont beat her down too much :)

Probably better... the legacy outbacks have a bitbetter ground clearance than the impreza outbacks. I'm guessing about two inches more??

Yes, that is correct. The Baja (8.4 inches) has about 2 more inches over the Impreza Outback.

However, I do believe the regular Outbacks of that generation had worse ground clearance than the Baja at the same 7.3 inches as the previous generation (MY 96-99). However, uplevel trim Outbacks of that generation (L.L. Bean, VDC, H6) had 7.9, pretty darned close to the Baja's ground clearance.

Baja ground clearance increased an inch-and-a-half-ish(??) for MY04. The Baja will have more clearance than an OBS, but approach and _especially_ departure angles are not very good. Similar to what others have said, look for the same issues as on an '00-'04 Outback. A Baja is definitely susceptible to the HG failures if it's N/A. Turbos are not susceptible. I love my '05 turbo A/T. I'd go for it if I were in your position.