Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch smell when AWD is engaged?

When driving my 2010 Impreza Premium (manual transmission) in situations where the AWD is engaged (getting unstuck, doing donuts, uphill on slick surfaces, any tire slippage while trying to move forward) I get a strong clutch burning smell. I know how to drive a manual trans well and do not believe this is a case of operator error. It seems that it burns some clutch even when the transmission is fully engaged when the tires are slipping. Is this normal? I have experience driving older foresters, a legacy and an impreza in snow and have not experienced this smell before. I have tried turning the traction control system off during these conditions and still experience the same odor after even a little bit of tire slippage. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Improper break-in (running the piss out of it, hard shifting, hard launching) will lead to glazing which will cause it to slip. How many miles on this car? Riding the clutch into high gears will do the same thing, as well as "rolling" back and forth at stop lights.

You're sure its not tires burning? Done a clutch test yet?

"When driving my 2010 Impreza Premium (manual transmission) in situations where the AWD is engaged (getting unstuck, doing donuts, uphill on slick surfaces, any tire slippage while trying to move forward) I get a strong clutch burning smell"

I'm seeing driver abuse here. Yes you will smell clutch when you beat the snot of the car.

nipper

Oh, and there's no relation between smells and the AWD system. The center diff is contained within the transmission so there's no way for a smell to get out. Not that it would create a smell anyway. And the AWD is "engaged" all the time in the manual transmission cars.

If it smells like clutch, it's either the clutch or burning brakes. The TCS uses the brakes I belive so if you're doing a lot of spinning you may get a hot brakes smell. The clutch is operator error if it's smelling, you're slipping it too much. Don't use the handbrake while moving either, that's not good for the center diff or the e-brake, which isn't really designed to stop a moving wheel. It's meant to hold a stopped wheel.

Oh, and there's no relation between smells and the AWD system. The center diff is contained within the transmission so there's no way for a smell to get out. Not that it would create a smell anyway. And the AWD is "engaged" all the time in the manual transmission cars.

If it smells like clutch, it's either the clutch or burning brakes. The TCS uses the brakes I belive so if you're doing a lot of spinning you may get a hot brakes smell. The clutch is operator error if it's smelling, you're slipping it too much. Don't use the handbrake while moving either, that's not good for the center diff or the e-brake, which isn't really designed to stop a moving wheel. It's meant to hold a stopped wheel.

There have been reports on automatics that if you really abuse the AWD clutch pack you can get a burning clutch smell- this is feasible, I think. The fibrous material can create quite a bit of smoke if you torture it enough.

The manual AWD of course has no clutch pack.

Dave

speaking about a manual and e-brake

I did not want to make a topic but In neural and on a small hill like1-2% if the e-brake is up should the car move backwards? And yes I've adjusted the brake shoes the star wheel wont move anymore because the pads are already close to the wheel.

but I notice with the rear passenger side with the rear jacked up and e-brake on the rear passenger wheel will move about 1/4" with the e-brake on fully.. I doubt this is normal I'm thinking the pads are cheap or been driven with it on or what?

It was like this when I brought the car last near.

It seems next to impossible to find aftermarket replacement pads since all the ones I see are for the cars with rear drums which I don't have.

I'm seeing driver abuse here. Yes you will smell clutch when you beat the snot of the car.

nipper

what is the difference than beating the snot out of an old car. as it seems, the newer a car the more likely it will break:(

I routinely beat the snot out of 200,000 mile cars, no clutch smells.

what is the difference than beating the snot out of an old car. as it seems, the newer a car the more likely it will break:(

I routinely beat the snot out of 200,000 mile cars, no clutch smells.

The difference is whether or not the clutch has broken in.

Dave

I did not want to make a topic but In neural and on a small hill like1-2% if the e-brake is up should the car move backwards? And yes I've adjusted the brake shoes the star wheel wont move anymore because the pads are already close to the wheel.

A small amount yes. A few inches at most.

If the car continues to roll, the adjustment for the cable is on the lever. Look down between the halves of the boot around the lever and you'll see a nut and a threaded rod sticking out. Just pull the top of the console of its easy to tighten.

The parking brake shoes rarely need to be replaced. So yes replacements are hard to find. Rockauto.com does carry a set listed under the brake shoe section. CENTRIC Part # 11107940

Other than that it's dealer or junkyard. :grin:

A small amount yes. A few inches at most.

If the car continues to roll, the adjustment for the cable is on the lever. Look down between the halves of the boot around the lever and you'll see a nut and a threaded rod sticking out. Just pull the top of the console of its easy to tighten.

The parking brake shoes rarely need to be replaced. So yes replacements are hard to find. Rockauto.com does carry a set listed under the brake shoe section. CENTRIC Part # 11107940

Other than that it's dealer or junkyard. :grin:

good I will check the parking brake level which I think has a lock nut on it? I just ordered $250 worth of suspension parts from Rock Auto it was shipped pretty fast!

Improper break-in (running the piss out of it, hard shifting, hard launching) will lead to glazing which will cause it to slip. How many miles on this car? Riding the clutch into high gears will do the same thing, as well as "rolling" back and forth at stop lights.

I always thought it is best to have the smallest difference between engine speed and drivetrain speed, so you can quickly apply the clutch and lock the engine/drivetrain. But how do you mean "riding the clutch into high gears" like starting from 2nd or driving in 4th at low speeds (with locked drivetrain). I also know people who drive with the foot half on the clutch because they are afraid.

Nevertheless abusing a young car is not good!

But how do you mean "riding the clutch into high gears" like starting from 2nd or driving in 4th at low speeds (with locked drivetrain).

Letting the clutch slip unnecessarily when shifting between "rolling" gears. (rolling as in you're already moving) 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and so on. You might hear rice rockets do this a lot (simply because its so much easier to hear what is going on with the engine due to that stupid coffee can stuck on the tail pipe).

Listen to 2nd and 3rd gear here. You'll get what I'm saying. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf5OQ5zPj3M

Letting the clutch slip unnecessarily when shifting between "rolling" gears. (rolling as in you're already moving) 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and so on. You might hear rice rockets do this a lot (simply because its so much easier to hear what is going on with the engine due to that stupid coffee can stuck on the tail pipe).

Listen to 2nd and 3rd gear here. You'll get what I'm saying. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf5OQ5zPj3M

god that video is annoying.. I never slip like that going between gears.

That reminds me of this guy with an 09 Sti at the train station at 2AM he was launching his car going up a hill.. He was dropping it at what sounded to be 3K but then the guys egged him on to go higher..

I was seriously waiting for a blow transmission. Then blame SOA for making a faulty car..

• 2 months later...

Just to clarify things here:

I do not beat the snot out of my car. Any tire slipping (including the occasional doughnut) occurs on snow, fresh snow where there is no chance of hitting a dry patch of pavement. I am not popping the clutch, pulling the e-brake, red-lining the engine, riding the clutch, or any of the other assumptions y'all made.

I bought it with my own money (will be paying for it for years to come) and therefore take great care of it and have a great amount of respect for Subaru's (obviously, I just bought a spanking new one).

The smell I was getting in slippery conditions also occurred when driving very conservatively. Just attempting to climb a snow covered hill at low speed with the clutch completely engaged it seemed that any tire slipping produced a smell.

I plan to get back to the dealer soon to have my clutch checked out. Thanks for all your comments.

Just haven't been on USMB since then. Haven't made it to the dealer either. No snow, no smell. I plan to get it in soon though to have a few things checked out including:

1. The snow driving clutch smell

2. A faulty power window (passenger side)

3. A mild but unsettling trailing throttle sound when downshifting

Seems to be a pretty sweet car overall, but I'm concerned about some of these apparent issues that started right out of the lot!

• 9 months later...

I had to search deep for this but I have a 1995 Legacy L wagon 5MT and I noticed it too myself when I had to push my friends car from the parking lot and when I got myself a bit stuck for about 5 min.

Smells just like a slipping clutch but it's not and does not linger as long.