Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 OBS Junkyard Fix (Heavy on the pics)

gwilson87

One of these things is not like the other! One of these things just doesn't belong. (If you have heard that song before than bonus points to you)

New junkyard items from a buddy.

CIMG7415.JPG

One seems oddly thicker than the other one.

CIMG7416.JPG

Hmmmm... This could be nice.

CIMG7417.JPG

Win! New rear sway bar. From an RS at the junkyard, no idea if it is the stock one, but I know it is much better than the stock on on the OBS for shizzle!

Win! New rear sway bar. From an RS at the junkyard, no idea if it is the stock one, but I know it is much better than the stock on on the OBS for shizzle!

You don't need Outback trailing arms. You just need the trailing arm BRACKET. The arms are the same, the diference is in the bracket.

Also, which way are you trying to improve perormance with this car?

The lift and a larger swaybar are kinduv opposing mods. The beefy swaybar will only serve to limit your travel and make offroad driving very bouncy. (beefy swaybar ties the "independent" suspension toghether...becomes "dependant" lol)

Sway bar was cheap and it isn't hard to undo it for better articulation. But I am also going to try my hand at a few rallyx events this year and having the bigger sway bar to improve handling will be nice. If it becomes more of a just offroad, then yeah im gonna for sure ditch it in favor of better handling. As for what "improvements" I am doing... Who knows. I'm really just enjoying myself and seeing what comes of it. :banana: But thanks for the heads up on just needing the bracket, I had been wondering, that might be a bit easier to snag at the junkyards.

Edited by gwilson87

I'm still on stock wheels and tires right there. Hoping to get the funding sometime for some 205/75/15 general grabbers :banana:

SICK!!

Still trying to get some trailing arms. Nothing wants to come apart at the junkyard for me. I think I need bigger cheater bars. Anyone got access to some outback tailing arms they want to pull and send my way? :grin:

Actually I've got a pair. I'll bring them up for the rally this weekend, how 'bout that?

Maybe a trade for outback front coils? :rolleyes:

One of these things is not like the other! One of these things just doesn't belong. (If you have heard that song before than bonus points to you)

:grin:

One seems oddly thicker than the other one.

CIMG7416.JPG

Hmmmm... This could be nice. New rear sway bar. From an RS at the junkyard

NICE... I have the bracket (as on page 2) as per Gloyale's comment, still on the trailing arm...

3976444549_6a6c52c42a_m.jpg

Edited by superu

I got the brackets taken care of now. Just need some spacers from paranoid fabrications on the front to level it out I think.

Alright I want some opinions. I think it would be pretty stylin to add this to the car when I get bigger tires since I will want a full size spare as well. This is my crappy photoshop.

CIMG7436.JPG

CIMG7438.JPG

Any thoughts people?

I got the brackets taken care of now. Just need some spacers from paranoid fabrications on the front to level it out I think.

Alright I want some opinions. I think it would be pretty stylin to add this to the car when I get bigger tires since I will want a full size spare as well. This is my crappy photoshop.

CIMG7436.JPG

CIMG7438.JPG

Any thoughts people?

I'd be psyched to see a spare on a swing arm on an iMP!!!

Possibly fine on the bumer by removing the bumper skin, bolting/welding the braketry to the bumper andtrimming the skin around that metal to have a clean finished look, but a tube rear would look sick and be functional..

BUT there're these vents beneith the side skirts of the rear bumper skin that are a trick to tidy up once you remoe the skin....

good thoughts on where you're going with this!!!

(is it an auto or stick?)

I'd be psyched to see a spare on a swing arm on an iMP!!!

Possibly fine on the bumer by removing the bumper skin, bolting/welding the braketry to the bumper andtrimming the skin around that metal to have a clean finished look, but a tube rear would look sick and be functional..

BUT there're these vents beneith the side skirts of the rear bumper skin that are a trick to tidy up once you remoe the skin....

good thoughts on where you're going with this!!!

(is it an auto or stick?)

Thanks, its for sure a stick. The wife got the auto wrx and this is my toy :banana: I would love to get a tubular bumper on the rear. And I haven't done any research into what I could mount a swingarm to, its just been a thought thats been rolling around in my head so I thought I would get some peoples opinions. Kind of funny that on the dirtyimpreza forum no one has made any interest about it other than it might get in the way, the SLCsubaru forum people aren't saying much about an offroad sorta car. But here you people are all about making changes and doing whatever. I like it :grin: Now i just need some funding... might be time to start selling plasma.

Probably a 18mm or 20mm from a WRX, RS had the same 13mm as OBS.

Some of us on SLCsubaru are into off-road, I had a 93 Imp wagon lifted with For struts/springs until Jan.

I LOVE IT!!! I am planning on doing the same thing with my 97 obs. I was checking on here to try and get a little more info and this is exactly what I was looking for. Your car looks great and I cant wait until you get some big aggressive tires on it.

As far as the rear mount tire. Have you ever heard of the impreza gravel express? It was an asian based model only, but it came with a factory brush guard on the front and a rear mounted tire. You can look up those images and try to see what they did.

Cant wait to see more,

Greg

Yeah, gravel medic on dirty impreza showed me that. And here I was thinking I was being cool and original.... Fail. Oh well, they don't have a lift, ikea mudflaps, and a snorkel. Granted, I don't have a snorkel either, but I will! :banana: And I do have ikea mudflaps. Hopefully I will mount the front tomorrow and get some stylin pics for you all who live vicariously through others pictures like I do :D

Hey Glwilson,

Take ground to top of fender, ground to body line and ground to rear diff and front x-member measurements before and after you install the rear trailing arm brackets..

I'm curious, since I've thought about putting them in my rig, but think it might decrease rear clearance to the diff...

I hope I'm not too late :rolleyes:

ciao!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BAH!!! I'm poor but started a second job. I picked up a hitch from a friend who didn't need it on his slammed OBS, and he will hopefully be mounting some tires for my this week!!! Once the tires are on I will have pictures. Plans are going a lot like Austin's waterwagon, D/R swap, and on board air. And then I need to add some strobe hazard lights, Ham radio equipment, and my uncle is going to start a local business making offroad subaru parts (mostly rally stuff i.e. lightbars, skid plates, lots of interior roll cages) I'm hoping to get him to make me a bumper like Superu's. But yeah, hopefully I can find some loose income to get things rolling!

So I'm pushing a D/R swap higher on my to-do list because i found a buyer for my transmission thus helping offset the cost. I am just trying to decide what to do. I am being told by my buddy that I really really really need to get an AWD D/R for the swap so that I maintain my AWD car and then have a lsd and locking center diff. BUT a regular loyale 5 speed d/r is only $40 from the local pick and pull on half off wednesdays AND its the exact same thing I did in the brat so I know what to do as far as flywheel and clutch and whatnot. My goal for the car is to the Rally Recovery/Support. Thoughts people?

Also IIRC the 5 speed from a loyale is 3.9 geared, and the rear axle from a dodge dakota is 3.9 also i found out.... rear solid axle swap maybe? :banana:

So I'm pushing a D/R swap higher on my to-do list because i found a buyer for my transmission thus helping offset the cost. I am just trying to decide what to do. I am being told by my buddy that I really really really need to get an AWD D/R for the swap so that I maintain my AWD car and then have a lsd and locking center diff. BUT a regular loyale 5 speed d/r is only $40 from the local pick and pull on half off wednesdays AND its the exact same thing I did in the brat so I know what to do as far as flywheel and clutch and whatnot. My goal for the car is to the Rally Recovery/Support. Thoughts people?

Also IIRC the 5 speed from a loyale is 3.9 geared, and the rear axle from a dodge dakota is 3.9 also i found out.... rear solid axle swap maybe? :banana:

I've been looking into a D/R AWD swap for a few years now... :confused: not much success thusfar for feasability... buying and shipping from australia, etc. etc...

I think an EA82ed 4x4 in an impreza would be the bomb!!

I'd say go for that one, 'specially since you've been there with the brat...

you'd have FWD for townie driving and real 4x4 for the rough, rally, recovery, etc. PLUS you could run it in FWD too!!

If you really do have the hook-up on a D/R AWD I want it... :rolleyes:

nice work on this IMP so far dood!

Martimus on here found me one for $250, little steep for the trans considering from the junkyard an ea82 dual range is only $40ish. I am really thinking it would be much more expensive and more of a hassle to do the AWD D/R. I'm gonna work on my skid plate tomorrow along with a rear diff breather, lateral links replaced, and maybe get my tires mounted... See how the day goes, got a dirty meet to go to on the 29th so I need the tires for better grip to pull people out that only have 2wd... amateurs :grin:

As far as the rear mount tire. Have you ever heard of the impreza gravel express? It was an asian based model only, but it came with a factory brush guard on the front and a rear mounted tire.

I wonder how hard it would be to find some (more than one) and get the mount shipped over:confused:

As for the D/r, I'd find one of the EJ AWD D/r trannies and go from there unless the solid axle goes through (I likie!!! I likie!!!) I'm eventually going to put a lift and EJ D/r into my 98 Legacy Outback.

Edited by newsoobdude