Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any reason a front axle nut should come loose?

Replaced many a half shafts in my life...many.

Well I replaced all the parts in my 98 Outback's front end last year. Struts, pads, rotors, ball joints, tie rod ends, half shafts and wheel bearings. I got the bearings pressed in by a reputable Subaru shop.

I torqued everything to spec.

Last week I started to hear squeaking from the front left bearing. Raised the front end, lots of play on that tire. Popped off the tire and checked the axle nut, it was loose! It had not moved (tab still bent down) so I torqued it back to spec. Still squeaks (a little) however the play is all but gone.

The right side was still tight, no noise and almost no play.

I've never had a axle nut come loose. What the hell was going on with that? Did they not press the bearing in correctly, it shifted?

Rob, I used a little antisease on the nut and torqued to spec. I guess I should just start looking for a used hub assembly. I think that would be cheaper then buying a bearing and getting it pressed in. Dang it, that was a Subaru shop I trusted.

Guess I'll just check it again in a few months, the squeal has gone down a bit.

i've had an axle nut come loose before on my 81 gl wagon , turned out to be a combination of a stripped out nut - and a poorly re- manufactured axle from discount auto . i don't go there anymore for important parts - check the threads and nut real good

I have never seen one when I replace axles. Do you have a picture of the washer?

Thanks

Did you replace the washer behind the nut? (I got 3 hrs sleep so i apologize for being absent minded). There is a washer/spacer/thingy that is supposed to be replaced.

nipper

Harbor Frieght makes a kit for "FWD bearing service" or something along those lines. It was like $80. It's basically a cheap version of the hub-tamer and I've used it several times to do EJ front wheel bearings. With a decent 1/2" impact and the addition of a two-jaw puller to remove the race from the hub once dissasembled it works quite well.

GD

I pulled the hub last night and dropped it off to the shop and explained the issue. He said he'd look into it. Called me a few minutes ago and said they will swap out the bearing for me for free. They are pretty sure they didn't press the hub in far enough.

From now on I'm going to double check the hubs after i get bearings pressed in. Glad I noticed and checked!