Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy: Trashwagon10

TheLoyale

and did you say issues would be there if stock Outback skid plate was used ?

my 97 has one (surprised to see it)

Yes, the header hangs down to low (Wraps in front of the oil pan) and the skid plate will not be used.

Also, you will need to run the small genuine filters, because the pipe is to close to the filter.

Inclinometer anyone? Thats what is next for TW10. Went to the local junkyard in search of one from a Montero with little luck.

Looking at something like this,

IMG_7205.jpg

Just looked for these on ebay. People want stupid money for them :-\ Old toyotas had them. 80's 4runners, pickups, even some tercels so that could be a place to look.

Inclinometer anyone? Thats what is next for TW10. Went to the local junkyard in search of one from a Montero with little luck.

Looking at something like this,

IMG_7205.jpg

That's pretty sweet, I wonder how closely that would fit on a Forester's dash, in that pod/cubby spot. T'would be sweet in the wagon though too!

2011_1229AG.jpg

2011_1229AH.jpg

2011_1229AJ.jpg

SWEET!!

I've been thinking about trying that for years!

My concern was going from 95 Legacy 1-pice HL and turn to the OB's 2-pice unit (HL=1, turn=2). How'd it go, is it straight swap? how are the plugsand mounting locations? How's the illumination difference? I 3Med my stock lenses and it healped a bit, but the OB ones just look like they project light better. I've even though about modding in some 1st gen Impreza headlights, since they're glass lenses and way brighter than my 95 stockers (wife had a 93 IMP for a while and it was NICE driving that at night, kinda sketchier in mine). I know they wouldn't fit just right, but I'm after the better light, w/o the cost of JDM projectors.

Although I hear JDM (and Aussie) 2nd gen legacies have glass lenses. . .

That looks awesome and if it's straight swap, it's my next mod!!!

Thanks for trying it out man!

*EDIT* also just noticed the Outback badge, nice! :grin::headbang:

Edited by superu

100% direct swap. The only think you will need to change is the H4 harness end, to the Outbacks 9007 Harness end (That was easy) Other then that, all the mounting holes are right where they should be, even for the corner light (You will need a little square push in plastic nut, like what they use for licence plates) so the corner light has something to bolt to. Other then that, direct swap.

And the light output is much more solid/full and even, no stupid little flares off to the side like with the stock housings. Totally worth the 30min it took to swap them in.

Cheers.

Edit: one thing thats funnny about the OB lights Vs. the Legacy. With the OB style, the entire Lamp housing pitches to adjust beam angle, unlike the Legacy style, where only the inner bucket moves. (This reminds me of an EA82 lamp now) lol

So you have a Subaru Outback, and you then installed Outback headlights on your outback?

am I missing something, like did someone swap regular legacy lights onto your outbackm then you put it back to stock?

not sure i follow.

have you ever taken that thing into mud yet?

looks like a grocery getter.

100% direct swap. The only think you will need to change is the H4 harness end, to the Outbacks 9007 Harness end (That was easy)

And the light output is much more solid/full and even, no stupid little flares off to the side like with the stock housings. Totally worth the 30min it took to swap them in.

Cheers.

What exactly do you mean by switching the H4 harness end to the 9007 harness end? The car-side wiring plug/harness? Do they take different bulbs (legacy vs outback?), thus different wire harnesses, and what year OB are yours from?

I feel like early gen (like 96, maybe 97) were a little different than the later gen 1 (like 99s) ones.

thanks man! awesomeness!!

100 pages FTW !!!!!!!!!!

Superu, you will want to look for 1998-99 Lights, that were the only years they had two piece (96-97) had the single piece legacy style. Yes, like 987687 said, you will need to splice in the other connecter to the vehicle wiring. Its just a 9007 style. And yes, the 9007 bulbs are WAY better then the H4 bulbs.

I also agree with 987687, The projectors are plastic. Also, on the first gen Imp, they are plastic from what I have seen in the yards. Subaru did away with the Glass housings when they stop production of the EA82.

Superu, you will want to look for 1998-99 Lights, that were the only years they had two piece (96-97) had the single piece legacy style. Yes, like 987687 said, you will need to splice in the other connecter to the vehicle wiring. Its just a 9007 style. And yes, the 9007 bulbs are WAY better then the H4 bulbs.

I also agree with 987687, The projectors are plastic. Also, on the first gen Imp, they are plastic from what I have seen in the yards. Subaru did away with the Glass housings when they stop production of the EA82.

I know that the RS in some years around 2000 has glass lights. I can't be specific because I don't know the exact details. But I have a friend who used to have (I think) a 2001 RS with glass lights stock.

I know that the RS in some years around 2000 has glass lights. I can't be specific because I don't know the exact details. But I have a friend who used to have (I think) a 2001 RS with glass lights stock.

That is pretty interesting, I wonder why they didn't continue them onto the Legacy. Personally, I like glass lights better then plastic, they just project better. The lights in my Loyale and Land Cruiser are both glass and still out illuminate better then the Legacy or Outback lights.

You just can't do all the funky shapes with glass as you could with a polymer.

That is pretty interesting, I wonder why they didn't continue them onto the Legacy. Personally, I like glass lights better then plastic, they just project better. The lights in my Loyale and Land Cruiser are both glass and still out illuminate better then the Legacy or Outback lights.

People will argue both sides. Say that when the plastic gets pitted or crazed you can re-surface it. But when glass ones get pitted you have to replace the lens. But that's garbage, my Gl is 22 years old and the glass is fine. The lights suck.... but the glass is fine.

my Gl is 22 years old and the glass is fine. The lights suck.... but the glass is fine.

Same here, I think the glass is a little more durable. But, everyone has their opinion.

If you want to fix your poor headlights, swap some HIDs in place of the 9004s. You will light up the entire road. All my vehicles have HIDs now. No going back!

Same here, I think the glass is a little more durable. But, everyone has their opinion.

If you want to fix your poor headlights, swap some HIDs in place of the 9004s. You will light up the entire road. All my vehicles have HIDs now. No going back!

Since putting HIDs in crappy 22yo reflectors (poorly) designed for halogens blinds people... I added some hellas.

Ahh the UEL headers to this day i wonder if I should of tried to pull them from my totaled legacy but with the motor pushed back (clutch was stuck to the floor) I think they might of been bent?

I just ordered some JDM projector headlights, bad news is about a week ago my exahust pipe the axle back just fell right from the flange from the center pipe.. rust got to it..

I'd need to get a shop to bend a new piece hopefully it wont cost more then $120

Ahh the UEL headers to this day i wonder if I should of tried to pull them from my totaled legacy but with the motor pushed back (clutch was stuck to the floor) I think they might of been bent?

I just ordered some JDM projector headlights, bad news is about a week ago my exahust pipe the axle back just fell right from the flange from the center pipe.. rust got to it..

I'd need to get a shop to bend a new piece hopefully it wont cost more then $120

The pipe is pretty straight there. You can just cut the flange out and rust off either side. Go to the auto parts store and get an exhaust coupler and some exhaust clamps. Just make it one piece. I prefer welding it, but if you don't have a welder this is a fine approach too you can do yourself.