Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at buying this subaru....

sube4x4

it's going to come down to finding a good match between buyer and seller. the car isn't worth very much in the standard market, so comes down to how much you want one with this work done to it.

paint and metal look clean and nice, though there are dents in the lower door panels. areas are different but around here that car in stock condition (without the lift) would be hard pressed to get $1,000. with a quarter million miles i don't see the lift making it worth near $2,800. but for someone wanting an older, cheap to maintain Subaru offroad wagon as a daily driver it might be worth it.

at that price the buyer is probably someone who wants a lift but can't do the work. i don't know if SJR installs their lifts but if they do then paying premium price for a vehicle with a lift already installed might not be necessary. it does seem nice for someone wanting that exact set up though.

If all you found wrong was a couple of boots maybe. Price reflects a good condition, low mile car. Offer $2K and work from there. I doubt there are people knocking his door down at the current price. This is a NW car with NW options. So, price is relative. I would also do a compression test on the motor just to make sure. Does it look like the work was done that is claimed?

grossgary-

I'm not planning on paying 2800$ for it. I was thinking more in the range of 2300ish...thanks for your input.

Qman-

Yes it looks as though it was. The water pump was deffinatley new. Couldn't see the timing belts however... The clutch was most of the way through its adjustment range. thanks again

-cody

Dude, I'm tooling up and should be about setup to build lifts soon. As others have said I also wouldn't give that guy even close to what he's asking.... Purely based on principal. If your interested in maybe figuring something out hit me up with a pm. Wouldn't be instant gratification, but would be alot more cost efficient. Thanks, Spencer

You guys crack me up:lol::grin::banana: Well the kid that bought it lives in the same town as me and is sort of a D-bag. He's still in high school and lost his license already. And the only thing he did to it was have a crush bent cat-back put on it. lol The inside is extremely clean also.

-cody

just cause he added 200 exhaust does not necessarily mean the car price has to go up to cover his cost. Heck, I sold a 92SS with over 1600 worth of stereo equipment installed and only got 1800 for the entire car........It also had new clutch, new tires, etc. just saying, people out to make a buck, just doesnt work in the real world.

Yes very true. The part that really attracts me towards the car is its all done and exactly what i wanted to build. Its even the color i wanted.:banana: And at this point i'm really pressed for time so i can't exactly build a car up and i'm in need of a better vehicle than i'm currently driving.

-cody

just cause he added 200 exhaust does not necessarily mean the car price has to go up to cover his cost. Heck, I sold a 92SS with over 1600 worth of stereo equipment installed and only got 1800 for the entire car........It also had new clutch, new tires, etc. just saying, people out to make a buck, just doesnt work in the real world.

It obviously undersold...

There is nothing wrong with paying what something is worth. There are not free cars around every corner. It is a clean car. There are far more than 2K worth of things on this car. The mileage scares me a little bit but the rest is real good. It is OK to paty what something is worth.

He has already explained his position far beyond what he needed to. Give him a break.

Do what you are comfortable with!

I wouldn't buy from that dude just cause he's trying to flip it. ...and he's clearly not real honest or intelligent.

I'm genrally of the same opinion. I've flipped my share of cars, and they were all cars that I really wanted but knew I wasn't going to keep for a long time. I find a good deal on something I just HAVE to have, fix everything wrong with it, and drive it for 3 or 4 months until I get bored and find another car I absolutely have to have. When I flip something, I've put at least 5k miles on it, and I know pretty much everything about how it runs. I stay far away from anybody flipping something just to make a few bucks.

I'd have a couple friends go look at the car and offer him a rediculously low amount, then you offer him 2k and all of a sudden that offer looks good.:grin:

Obviously I've seen this car too, I drive by almost every day. It would be good to see it go to someone who appreciates it. As far as price goes, what's it worth to you? I've gotten some really good deals and I've overpaid (what some people would have) just because whatever it was had that much worth to me. If you love it, you have the money, do it, if you have misgivings and aren't sure it may not be the right thing. It is a pretty cool car.