Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 to ej 2.5L SWAP

SubiePimp

i have a question for ya. i have a 1992 subaru loyale 1.8L spfi us spec. and am swapping a 2.5l sohc motor into it. i am taking the ecu and wiring from doner car and have the adapter plate for the transmission to use the loyales drivetrain and machined flywheel to fit ej series motor. my question is do i need to upgrade the fuel pump from the loyale 1.8l spfi to make the 2.5l motor work? the 2.5l motor is efi and the loyale is spfi. so i guess my question is will this fuel pump work for the Efi 2.5L SOHC engine or do i need to upgrade it. thanx

Is that gearbox going to hold up to the power of an EJ25??

the internals of the new EJ trans are virtually identical to the old EA 5spds.

Additionally, the older EA boxes have a large bearing at the front of the trans on the inputshaft. Even the single range EA5spds had it. (S/R EA 5spd, arguably the strongest) The bearing also serves as the slider for the throwout bearing. The EJ's don't have this.

That's why EJ trans eat uppershaft bearings so much more frequently. And they have more throw out bearing issues too....because the bearing has to slide on soft aluminum, not a hardened steel surface.

The question should be

"why did they *downgrade* the transmissions for the U.S. market when they introduced the EJ?"

"why did they *downgrade* the transmissions for the U.S. market when they introduced the EJ?"

Same thing that happened to the whole car's in '95. Everything went through a cost-cutting stage around the early to mid 90's. The EA 5 speed D/R was just lasting too long. They typically outlast the engine's.

No one that's actually worked on both would argue - the '90 to '94 cars are better built than the '95+ stuff.

And other than gear width and *strength* (not to be confused with longevity), the EA 5 speed's are hands down a better built transmission than the EJ's.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

So then, the EA Turbo FT4WD I have in my wagon will hold up to the EZ30 I plan on installing better than an EJ 5 speed I was thinking of swapping out later for better ratios?:confused:

No - the gears won't hold that much torque. They aren't designed for that much power. Even the earlier WRX 5 speed's couldn't handle the 240 HP those cars were making. Since they switched to using the wide RA gears in them they are much better now.

The EA's are built for longevity - not power handling. The EJ's are built for power and not as much for longevity. When new (and for 100k easily) they will handle gobs of power. But the bearing arrangment won't last.

For an EZ30, the only sensible options are the newer WRX 5 speed's with the RA gears, or a 6 speed. Either way you'll have to convert to a hydrualic turbo clutch as well. Anything less would probably be a waste of time and money with that much power.

GD