Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My "wheeler" update

brysawn

For the last week now I have been creating some stuff to make a mild "wheeler" out of my loyale.

Here are my phone pictures along the way.

These are my lift blocks:

(pre-welding)

a17q8j.jpg

(welded and painted)

so8duf.jpg

And this is my 6 lug hub. I haven't done my drums yet. This hub is 6x5.5 using Toyota 4runner studs, because of the specific lug nuts my Toyota wheels require.

14wrbt4.jpg

(on this hub, one of the studs is crooked because I didn't grind down the uneven surface on the back of the hub. it still fits in the wheel great, and everything tightens down, so I figured it doesn't really matter.)

everything should be going on this weekend.

its a pain in the rump roast huh?:lol:what helped me when i did it was to take just a tad bit of meat off at a time.it really will make the fit easier to deal with .the studs can get cockeyed from being jolted around when they are mounted on the car....it is wise to take care of that issue before it really becomes an ISSUE.....cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru
more info

its a pain in the rump roast huh?:lol:what helped me when i did it was to take just a tad bit of meat off at a time.it really will make the fit easier to deal with .the studs can get cockeyed from being jolted around when they are mounted on the car....it is wise to take care of that issue before it really becomes an ISSUE.....cheers, brian

yeah I should have done that, but they are all welded in the hub, so I don't think that one should be an issue. But the others will all be ground flat before I put the studs in.

But on another note; tires. As of now I'm thinking about the general grabber at2 or the falken high country at, both in a 215/75/15 which is around a 27" overall height. I want mud terrain tire, but I don't want to spend much over 100 a tire. Any suggestions?

But on another note; tires. As of now I'm thinking about the general grabber at2 or the falken high country at, both in a 215/75/15 which is around a 27" overall height. I want mud terrain tire, but I don't want to spend much over 100 a tire. Any suggestions?

craigslist or a used tire shop

I got my lift finished up and installed, but my car sits crooked now. My passenger side is 1" higher than the drivers. I'm not really sure why. My rear struts (when out of the car) were within 1/8" of each other, as were the fronts. I don't understand :confused:

About tires....

I've had the General Grabber AT/2's.

They were great for traction but not tough at all. Super soft rubber that chunks out easily. At 10k they were 3/4 through treadwear life as well.

I have Geolandar AT/S's now. Traction isn't as good, but they're a much much tougher tire. I've only put about half as many miles on the Geo's as I did the Grabbers but, the treadwear seems much better too.

Bad thing is they don't have a 205/75-15.

You'd have to go with a 215 in either 70 or 75.

• 2 weeks later...

As for your car sitting crooked, two things:

1:

Check around all the welds on the extensions for leaks, any sign of "moisture" means that you popped the shock absorber portion of the strut while welding, and the oil is leaking out. It'll make one side sag.

2:

You may have welded the extension tubes on at a slight angle. Even the slightest angle inboard/out, forward/aft will cause a big difference in height.

I've seen both these things happen on a few rigs that first timers have done this lift on.

As for your car sitting crooked, two things:

2:

You may have welded the extension tubes on at a slight angle. Even the slightest angle inboard/out, forward/aft will cause a big difference in height.

I've seen both these things happen on a few rigs that first timers have done this lift on.

Yeah, that's what happened. The drivers side rear, is a bit crooked. I'm not too concerned now, but it'll be changed soon. Also, my rear wheels aren't centered. They are really close to the door

Edited by brysawn

It'll make one side sag.

the spring holds the weight of the car, the shock is there to obsorb oscillations of the spring. so in theroy no it won't cause the car to sag, only if you heated the springs to a point that it changed their spring weight because of the temper would it sag.

It rubs in the rear, so I have some more trimming. But I've been driving it a little.

So here's the finished (almost) project:

30m8srb.jpg

Thanks a lot 3eyedwagon for helping me out and answering my many many lift questions

Edited by brysawn

I saw you driving down the Freeway yesterday, right at exit 167 (denny??) I was in the draper valley truck that almost plowed into a yellow Xterra trying to check out your rig!!!....

Looks good going down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

I saw you driving down the Freeway yesterday, right at exit 167 (denny??) I was in the draper valley truck that almost plowed into a yellow Xterra trying to check out your rig!!!....

Looks good going down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

Thanks! I can't wait to get in a D/R and go wheeling. That must have been around 6ish (going to the sounders game)