Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

i've got a 2001 Subaru Impreza sport wagon, standard transmission. I'm really not happy with the last set of tires i got (Walmart), so i figured i'd come on here and ask what tires would be best.

i'm set to put the new tires on and drive across the country. Once I get to said destination, I'm in for a long snowy winter.

I'd like fuel efficiency for my cross country trip, good handling in rain and snow too, and would really like to get away with not buying a separate set of snow tires come winter. I want one good set of tires - any suggestions?

thanks!

Hi all,

i've got a 2001 Subaru Impreza sport wagon, standard transmission. I'm really not happy with the last set of tires i got (Walmart), so i figured i'd come on here and ask what tires would be best.

i'm set to put the new tires on and drive across the country. Once I get to said destination, I'm in for a long snowy winter.

I'd like fuel efficiency for my cross country trip, good handling in rain and snow too, and would really like to get away with not buying a separate set of snow tires come winter. I want one good set of tires - any suggestions?

thanks!

so you want those magic tires that do everything for only 49$ each. :lol:

i'm running touring TAs by goodrich ?? i think. the are good tires, and capable in the snow, we had a lot this winter for the first time in years. but the are not the hiway tires like my wifes michlens. and based on your need you are going to have to find a compromise.

All tires are compromises in terms of over all performance. I found it helpful to go to the website of Discount Tire Direct. There you can enter the size that fits your car. All tires listed will have a customer response link to the tire they purchased with their thoughts on their tire's performance, and if they recommend that tire or not. Most helpful!

I have a set of Goodyear Assurances and they have about 25,000 miles on them. They're really awesome in the snow suprisingly but I haven't noticed any increase in gas mileage like they advertise. As a matter of fact I lost 2 mpg average. They're quiet at first but now they're VERY noisy. I don't think I'll buy another set.

Subaru dude - do you have the Assurance TripleTred, Assurance ComforTred, or the Assurance Fuel Max?

Thanks!

I have a set of Goodyear Assurances and they have about 25,000 miles on them. They're really awesome in the snow suprisingly but I haven't noticed any increase in gas mileage like they advertise. As a matter of fact I lost 2 mpg average. They're quiet at first but now they're VERY noisy. I don't think I'll buy another set.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Ipike snow tires... studded or unstudded. Obviously they do much better on glazed ice when studded, but even unstudded they are alot better than any all season tire. And, they seem to perform very well... I've got them on my '97 Imp, and it's not quite as good as with the summer tires, but the Ipikes are also 195/75/R14's compared to 205/65/R15's for the summer tires, so some of that could be the higher aspect ratio. Even in studded form, they are alot less noisy than older studded tires seem to be. I've given up using all season tires in the winter... but I'm driving on snow and ice covered roads for a good 7 months of the year. If it's just a few days or a month or two (even in Denver, I might not bother because the snow melts so fast), then the asurance tripletread seem to be decent all season tires for the subarus.

i'd suggest reading the reviews at tire rack, they have reviews for most common tires sizes.

typical brands like goodyear and Michelin...and others, have great tires. across the board michelins seem to be very good in the snow. i recommend those when i don't have time to research and folks rave about them. but they're expensive.

good fuel efficiency for the cross country trip? leave your old tires on and increase the pressures to 38 pounds. get new tires when you get to the new destination. old tires are likely to be drier rubber from age and probably have less rolling resistance than newer supple treads. you're talking about 0-$7 savings in gas mileage if anything.

I'm running the Goodyear Assurance Triple-Treads. They've performed outstanding in every road/weather condition I've thrown at them. I haven't noticed better mileage, but the only time I noticed decreased mileage was when I let the pressures get out of spec. They even have quite a bit of mud time as well. They've gotten me around in anything you could want to drive this kind of car in and then some.

The only complaint i've heard about these tires is they make a lot of sound - I see reviews like "these are great tires but i have to play my music loud when i'm driving".

I am definitely leaning towards these - what are your thoughts on this topic?

thanks!

I'm running the Goodyear Assurance Triple-Treads. They've performed outstanding in every road/weather condition I've thrown at them. I haven't noticed better mileage, but the only time I noticed decreased mileage was when I let the pressures get out of spec. They even have quite a bit of mud time as well. They've gotten me around in anything you could want to drive this kind of car in and then some.

They were a little louder than the Michelin XW-4's that were OEM, but not as loud as the AT's that I use for really getting dirty. I've never had any passengers comment on them stereo or no, so I guess they can't be too bad.