Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bled the system after I installed the master cylinder yesterday. This is the second time the light has came on and didn't start coming on until I installed new rotors. I'll see if I can give the compressed blowout a shot.

Actually a rather common issue qith ABS. The tone ring is thewhell that the sensor picks up the speed from. It can crack at times.

Got ya. I know what you are talking about now. I guess I will be doing some more investigating.

How do I pull an ABS code next time?

i think your issue is going to be a wheel sensor. You ABS module doesnt care about the air in the system it only monitors the wave form from the wheel sensors and chats with the automatic transmission computer.

When you turn the key on the ABS light should come on 10-15 sec then go off. If it doesn't then you need to pull the code. Nipper clued me into this you can do a search and find the info but basicly you need to find the black diagnostic plug (6 holes-4 wires)that lives to the right of the steering column. It is tucked up righ next to 2 green plugs. Next to it are two black wires (grounds). Take the black wire (with key off) and insert it into one of the 4 holes. I can remember which one, I think its the plug with the green/white wire. It doesnt matter they all go to different systems and you can't mess anything up if you put it in the wrong one.

After inserting it into the plug turn the key on and you will see either nothing, the AT OIL TEMP or the ABS light start flashing codes. The flashes equal numbers (same system used in OBD 1 scanning,noid light)

FLASH FLASH space FLASH=21

good luck, hope this jibber jabber helps

Regarding ABS codes, you'll need to find an ABS code reader. It's not the normal OBD-II reader, unfortunately. I have an Actron scanner that has ABS codes, but it doesn't work for all cars.

Nope, el wrongo

Antilock brake trouble code procedure

1. Take out diag connector from driverside heater unit

2. Turn ignition switch off

3. Connect diag connector terminal 6 to diag terminal

4. Turn ignition switch on

5. ABS warning light blinks to identify trouble codes

6. After the start code (11)is shown, the trouble codes will be shown in order of the last information first. These repeat for a maximum of 5 minutes

Note; when there are no trouble codes in memory, only the start code (11) is shown.

Here are pics

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84715&highlight=ABS%2A

Edited by nipper

Nope, el wrongo

Antilock brake trouble code procedure

1. Take out diag connector from driverside heater unit

2. Turn ignition switch off

3. Connect diag connector terminal 6 to diag terminal

4. Turn ignition switch on

5. ABS warning light blinks to identify trouble codes

6. After the start code (11)is shown, the trouble codes will be shown in order of the last information first. These repeat for a maximum of 5 minutes

Note; when there are no trouble codes in memory, only the start code (11) is shown.

I can email the procedure that has a pic.

Not sure what this process you describe is, but the easiest way is to use an ABS code reader, like my Actron scanner.

Not sure what this process you describe is, but the easiest way is to use an ABS code reader, like my Actron scanner.

I am describing the procedure in the manual. Not everyone has an abs code reader and not everyone can afford to buy one. I dont have one because it gets so little use.

It is also a procedure that has been discussed ont this board many times :)

I am describing the procedure in the manual. Not everyone has an abs code reader and not everyone can afford to buy one. I dont have one because it gets so little use.

AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, etc.....scan codes for free.

AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, etc.....scan codes for free.

By that time the code may have cleared itself. I am not sure how long it holds a code. Also I have not been happy with the quality of the people who scan for codes. This requires dropping the knee panel to help find the connector. You can find it without dropping it but it makes life easier. Why bother with that when you can do it in your driveway with a proedure described in the Subaru Factory Service manual.

Also sopme people are not close to a chain autoparts store.